Using points instead of percentages on multiple choice/multiple correct

Using points instead of percentages on multiple choice/multiple correct

by Scott Stocking -
Number of replies: 3
I have been trying to find some information on using points rather than +/- percentages on multiple choice questions that have multiple correct answers that should be selected. I haven't found any code settings that allow that or any recent forum posts that address the issue (I'm using Moodle 2.0x so I'm told). I found something similar way back in 2006 for Moodle 1.6, but it wasn't possible then. Here is an example of what I mean (not a real question, just a simple one to make the point): Mark the meteorological seasons (select all that apply): a. fall b. football c. summer d. winter e. spring I want the question to be worth 5 points if the learner correctly marks a, c, d, e and leaves b blank. In other words, I want the learner to be rewarded for correct selections, but not rewarded (as opposed to penalized) for incorrect selections. The best I can seem to do in Moodle is score a, c, d, e at 25% each (to add up to 100%) while b is negative 20%. But this only returns the desired score if the learner selects/nonselects correctly (100%; 5 pts) or if the learner selects all 5 options (100% - 20% = 80%; 4 pts). However, other combinations penalize the learner, which I want to avoid. (I'm dealing with adult learners, and such a practice is not good andragogy in my opinion.) For example, if a learner selects a, b, d, e and leaves c unselected, the score by my method would be 3/5 (= 60%), but Moodle would return 55% (3 x 25% - 20%). This is not just a matter of scoring the test. We need to analyze learner response to each question, so if for whatever reason a pattern develops revealing learners are selecting the wrong answer or not selecting a particular correct answer, we can address the issue in our content. Thank you, Scott
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Stocking

Re: Using points instead of percentages on multiple choice/multiple correct

by Tony Gardner-Medwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Why not just set this up as a group of 5 true/false questions to achieve what you want?

In reply to Tony Gardner-Medwin

by Scott Stocking -

Thank you. That may be a viable option, but I would want all options to display at the same time if that's possible. Still a little green with Moodle, so I'll give it a shot. I may want to export data to Excel at some point, so I'm wondering how that would work with the way I have my data analysis form set up.

Scott

In reply to Scott Stocking

by Scott Stocking -

I tried grouping 5 T/F questions on one "page," but I can't see any option to randomize the group on that page only. I either have to have all the questions in the same order or randomize all questions. If I do the latter, it separates the questions and diminishes the impact of my single-question format with respect to my learning outcome (distinguishing between options).