Students can't edit

Students can't edit

by timo karvinen -
Number of replies: 10

Hello!
I have a wiki on a course that's open for all users.
I can't find the right setting to make it editable for students.
Help would be appriciated.

Create new wiki pagesmod/wiki:createpage Spam risk Authenticated user on frontpagePrevent, OpiskelijaPrevent, Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Prohibit
Add comments to pagesmod/wiki:editcomment Spam risk Authenticated user on frontpagePrevent, Tunnistettu käyttäjäPrevent, OpiskelijaPrevent, Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Prohibit
Save wiki pagesmod/wiki:editpage Spam risk Authenticated user on frontpagePrevent, Tunnistettu käyttäjäPrevent, OpiskelijaPrevent, Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Prohibit
Manage wiki commentsmod/wiki:managecomment   Authenticated user on frontpagePrevent, OpiskelijaPrevent, Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Prohibit
Manage wiki filesmod/wiki:managefiles   OpiskelijaPrevent, Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Prohibit
Manage wiki settingsmod/wiki:managewiki   Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Prohibit
Override wiki locksmod/wiki:overridelock   Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Prohibit
View page commentsmod/wiki:viewcomment   Authenticated user on frontpagePrevent, OpiskelijaPrevent, Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Prohibit
View wiki pagesmod/wiki:viewpage   Authenticated user on frontpagePrevent, VierasPrevent, OpiskelijaPrevent, Vieraileva opettajaPrevent, OpettajaPrevent, ManagerPrevent
Allow
Average of ratings: -
In reply to timo karvinen

Vast: Students can't edit

by timo karvinen -

I know some role titles are in finnish smile, but perhaps somebody knows the right settings.

Re: Students can't edit

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Timo,

there must be something wrong in your site wide settings because default settings of course wikis should allow all students to edit wiki.

In settings of each wiki the wiki mode determines whether everyone can edit the wiki - a collaborative wiki - or whether everyone has their own wiki which only they can edit - an individual wiki.

Front page is a special case because nobody is in student role by default there but you said students can't edit your course wiki...

Editing roles is not at all necessary unless if you have a very good reason to change default settings. wink

Wiki

Or are you trying to allow GUESTS to edit wiki???

(override global settings in some course)

Guests

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

Vast: Re: Students can't edit

by timo karvinen -

Thx a lot!
Solved by giving "authenticated users" the right to edit wiki in site managing setting.

Re: Vast: Re: Students can't edit

by Francois Evans -

In a course, I made a collaborative Wiki with no groups. My students say they cannot see the content of the wiki pages I have made. I don't mind if students edit the pages, but they can't see (from their accounts) what I have put there for them.

What do I need to adjust to allow students to see this wiki? Where is the 'site managing setting'?

With many thanks!

In reply to Francois Evans

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As was said earlier on in this thread, you shouldn't have to change anything in the site settings because if the wiki is in a course the students should by default be able to see and edit the pages. Are the students in groups in the course -even though you have made the wiki with no groups? Can you post some screenshots of how you have set up the pages they can't see and what it looks like from the students' viewpoint?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nick Smith -

I am having this same problem in Moodle 2.9.

I instructed my students to just hit the edit button. One told me that there was no edit button. If I sign in as a student, this is what I see. 

I can see edit as a teacher or non-editing teacher. I have spent over an hour going into every setting in Moodle regarding wikis and roles at the site level. Everything is set, as far as I can see, to allow students to edit wikis by default. 

This is getting really frustrating. 

Any help is appreciated. 

In reply to Nick Smith

by Nick Smith -

I found the answer in a guide to Moodle that I found online here. 

The default is set to visible groups. When I set it to separate groups, it worked. The students are not actually in any groups. 

I have to say that this is non-intuitive. 

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Timo,

We are experiencing the same problem in at least one wiki in at least one course in Moodle 2.3.1. Your solution does not seem to make a difference. It concerns a collaborative wiki, separate groups and of course groups do exist in the course. Teachers and admins are able to edit normally. It is puzzling.

UPDATE: It seems to be caused by the "Force format" setting. I had HTML selected as format and force format on. When I turned force format off the wiki became editable, although users have to select the format for every page.

Rgrds,
Paul.

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Paul Nijbakker -

Summary:

In our Moodle 2.3.1 turning Force format on in a collaborative wiki with groups the students cannot edit the wiki or see the pages. In a collaborative wiki with no goups there is no problem with the Force format setting. In collaborative wikis with the group modes separate or visible groups, Force format must not be selected or else the students cannot edit. The tracker issue is MDL-33491.

Rgrds,
Paul.