Path to Zip?

Path to Zip?

by M. V.W. -
Number of replies: 4

Having problems with manual or automated backups of a large course; hangs at the "zip" stage.  In this forum, a workaround was reported in which you specify the path to your server's zip and unzip resources within admin>server>system paths, to use instead of Moodle's own resources.

I wanted to try this fix, but this setting doesn't seem to exist in Moodle 2.1.

Or does it, but it's hidden somewhere else...?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to M. V.W.

Re: Path to Zip?

by Chad Outten -

Hi, you're right - there's no longer paths to zip and unzip via moodle admin for 2.0 or later. from what I recall, moodle's internal routines for zip and unzip were improved, so there should be a need to specify a server path. 

in your case, it might be useful to turn on moodle debugging and see if there is more information output of the page when you try run a manual backup of a large course. how large is the said course and what are the values of max_execution time, max_input_time and memory_limit in the php.ini used for moodle?

Chad

In reply to Chad Outten

by M. V.W. -

max_execution = 360

max_input_time = 360

memory_limit = 128MB

Course takes up roughly 50MB.  No user data.  Just many different activities, pages, etc.  Size-wise, it's not all that large.

Debugging reports a variety of different out of memory errors.  The following is a partial list:

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 55050240) (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in .../lib/pear/HTML/QuickForm.php on line 622

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 53739520) (tried to allocate 848009 bytes) in .../lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 798

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 54788096) (tried to allocate 359201 bytes) in .../lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 680

Fatal error: Call to a member function query() on a non-object in .../lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 1217

Running a Functional DB Test also results in 11 errors and 1 exception. (I just posted about that on the Testing & QA forum).

In reply to M. V.W.

by Ann Adamcik -

You might try increasing your PHP memory limit - in your php.ini file and/or in Site administration->Server->Performance.