Publishing technical specs for Moodle sites

Publishing technical specs for Moodle sites

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Number of replies: 2
There are frequent requests posted here about hardware requirements for Moodle servers. I think it would be very helpful if Moodle sites could, on a voluntary basis, publish technical specs about their sites to furnish a resource for answering such questions. I think it would be a useful service to the overall Moodle community. For instance it would be invaluable for Moodle evangelists trying promoting Moodle as an institutionally supported CMS/LMS/VLE.

What I am proposing is a Moodle page on each server, which could be enabled/disabled at the discretion of the site administrator, furnishing such information (and which could be linked to from the site index on moodle.org). Here are some of the things that might be displayed on such a page
  • hardware specs - cpu, ram, hard disk space
  • operating system
  • web server type and version
  • php version
  • php accelerator, if any
  • database type and version
  • some overall statistics about the Moodle site (e.g. number of active users, hits/activity)
  • additional information, if appropriate

During the installation/setup of the page, as many of the fields as possible should be prefilled, e.g. from phpinfo(), with the option of manual postediting. There should also be an option for updating various overall statistics using cron.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Re: Publishing technical specs for Moodle sites

by Mark Stevens -
This is a great idea, and I think it's a better solution than a Moodle server-sizing guide that was discussed earlier.