Essay, Tutorial (and the like) booking module

Essay, Tutorial (and the like) booking module

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
We have started being asked about a function (that Moodle doesn't have) rather frequently.

The requirement differs but basically it's to enable students to book themselves into discrete lists. For example, to choose an essay topic from a list, to join a tutorial group. Of course the list of items and the maximum number of students would all need to be set. I'm fairly sure that we are not talking about any kind of Groups related activity here - as there could easily be several, mutually exclusive, instances within a course.

I have a bad feeling that I might have to write this but, as you may have noticed, I never have enough time for that kind of thing! So, anybody working on this or something like it, or any other ideas? Thoughts appreciated!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Essay, Tutorial (and the like) booking module

by Ger Tielemans -

There was a patch for the choice modul to do this by a person with the initials E.K. ?
(I called the modul EKchoice in my system smile )

...but it is no longer maintained. The old code must be updated for sessions and so.

Writing a module with a broader scope would be better: If you try to make a resource- or room-reservation system with "choice with a limit" you give up at 320 choices..

Idea: create a table with your resources, timetable with availability hours and "group limit / numbers of objects" and then create a calender view for the people to do the reservation? 

Do it in a block to have it available in all courses?

Someone said in another thread (WP, where?) that he was working on such block. 

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by W Page -
Hi Ger!

I am not aware of a "Scheduler" Mod for Moodle that will do exactly what Howard wants to do, but, there is some code out there that may be useful to him.

Suggest he check out some of what Audun is doing at,

scheduling rooms and other stuff
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18504

Timetable and reservations (rooms,equipment)
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17932

There is also some older code he may be interested in at the "Add-On" page,
http://moodle.org/download/modules/

Module Size Downloads Information Status
Appointment8.7Kb
This is a simple module that allows appointments to be made for a given week or topic. (discussion)
  • Maintainer: Ben Pirt
  • Last modified: 13 August 2004 (Changelog) (CVS) (README)
  • Latest version requires: Moodle 1.3.1 (2004052501)
development
Scheduler16.5Kb
1.4 dev3432
This module allows students to schedule one-on-one time with the teacher
  • Maintainer: Gustav Delius
  • Last modified: 22 January 2005 (Changelog) (CVS) (README)
  • Latest version requires: Moodle 1.4 dev (2004082300)
development

HTH

WP1
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks!

Where can I find this patch. It does indeed sound like a place to start.

by John Papaioannou -
Unfortunately I 'm not going to be able to help here, but at least I can pitch in with a bit of trivia! smile

Something very like what you are asking about was in fact one of the things that were on the long-term plan for Moodle development when I was still working at the University of Macedonia (before coming to the UK). In fact, the initial idea was to build a system that allowed students to choose from among a pool of assignments, setting their 1st, 2nd, Nth pick etc, and then the system would automatically assign one to each (teacher has last word, of course) according to the preferences. Of course there was no reason for that to be limited to assignments; if you configured it to let students pick from a certain type of Resource within a section, then you could fill a hidden section with Labels and presto, choose your essay topic!

However, my time ran out before getting to that and from what I heard, my replacement went for it as a straight "expanded assignment" module. So even though I believe they have it working, it wouldn't be of much use to you.

Sorry for not being able to help, and thanks for bringing back the memories! wide eyes

Jon

by Audun Hauge -
Are you thinking of a system that lets the students make a prioritized list of preferences?
I'd like to join either course 3,8 or 17 in that order of preference.
Assuming 10 groups with varying capacity, Total capacity = 105, number of students=100. Given a set of students choices, how should they be placed into groups.

If this is the case, I've got some code that makes a good-enuf solution (it dosn't optimize beyond placing all students so that no group is over booked). It's a bit old and written in python.

by Antonio Cardoso -

I have started developing a booking module. At this time, it only allows to control access of Labview VI on the internet, but in the future, it will be supplied with the control Flash meeting rooms. However, the module has been developed in way which allows anyone to construct controls to the module.

You can test it at http://ptse.fe.up.pt/moodle/course/category.php?id=4

Best Regards

António