Anti-Virus Exceptions

Anti-Virus Exceptions

by Phil B -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I run Moodle 2.1 without the ClamAV running. I have Microsoft Forefront Endpoint on my server. I was wondering if anybody new if there were any exception files/locations to add for Moodle, so as to reduce the hinderance on performance.

Thank You

Phil smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil B

Re: Anti-Virus Exceptions

by Stephen Bloomer -

I still have my normal AV scanning the file store Moodle files as they are in the IIS directory (and it has picked up a virus that Clam did not), but I exclude the MySQL db from being scanned and the PHP folder.

In reply to Stephen Bloomer

by Phil B -

Hi Stephen,

do you do this for performance reason? (if so have you noticed any). Or do you feel these items are highly unlikely to be infected?

Thanks

Phil smile

In reply to Phil B

by Stephen Bloomer -

Our servers don't have any performance issues at this time, but as
they are all virtual servers I keep this in the back of my mind.  My logic is.

Web service 11S files. Files don’t change but if there was a security vulnerability I would hate to have a web server where the public files were not protected. (Full AV Protection)

PHP.  Not directly open to public and does a lot of processing of files, so over protective AV product could slow this down. (AV Scan each night, but no scanning of each process)

File Store.  Our student bring about 20 viruses a day onto our network. They will upload files with viruses. I did play with CLAMAV, but I found our Kaspersky AV more reliable for picking up viruses in a test Environment. (Full AV Protection)

MySQL db.  This runs on a separate server and it not open to the public (directly anyway).  As per PHP it does a lot of processing and
could slow everything down. (AV Scan each night, but no scanning of each process)

I would like to hear if other people have different ideas as well.

In reply to Stephen Bloomer

by Phil B -

Great, thanks for the reply.

I'll see how we get on.

Phil smile