Web conferencing plugins (add-ons)

Picture of Fred Dixon
BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

BigBlueButton is an open source web conferencing system for distance education.  Record and playback has been the #1 requested feature for quite some time.

I'm one of the committers to the BigBlueButton project. On September 12, we released BigBlueButton 0.8-beta, which now records events (join, leave, who's talking, chat) and media (audio and presentations) in a session for later playback.  See our release announcement.  

Here's a short example of a sample playback. This example shows playback of the slides, audio, and chat messages from a recorded session.

I also work at Blindside Networks, the company that started the BigBlueButton project in 2007. To support the new record and playback features from within Moodle, we have updated our BigBlueButton activity module to work with Moodle 2.0 and Moodle 2.1.

This updated activity module now let's you:

• Create custom welcome messages that appear in the chat window when users join BigBlueButton
  • Specify join open/close dates for the on-line classes that appear in the Moodle calendar
  • Launch BigBlueButton in its own window
  • Record and playback your lectures (requires BigBlueButton 0.8-beta)
  • Manage recorded lectures (publish/unpublish and delete)
Here's an a screen shot of the options for recording a session:
Record Session
Here's a screen shot of the options for publish/unpublish and deleting a recorded session:
List of Recordings

The following YouTube video demonstrates installation of the module and its features:

Here's the download link for installation:

http://blindsidenetworks.com/integration#moodle2021

Note: This module will not upgrade the current activity module from Blindside Networks; rather, it will install in new directors as bigbluebuttonbn and recordingsbn.

The source code is available at gitHub

https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-mod_bigbluebutton

This module works out-of-the-box with test-install.blindsidenetworks.com, a BigBlueButton server we maintain for the community to help test integrations with BigBlueButton.  

To setup your own BigBlueButton server, see http://bigbluebutton.org/.

We are very interested to hear of any problems you encounter with this updated module (please post a follow-up message to this thread).  

In partciular, we've resolved the issues with running under Moodle 2.1.  We've also resolved the installation conflicts with the other BigBlueButton Moodle activity module developed by DualCode.  We encourage you to try DualCode's module as well.

Regards,... Fred

http://blindsidenetworks.com/

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Jonas Asa.
Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Hi. Excelent work.

Two questions:

a) How are the authentication/logins in Big Blue Button controlled? I don't seem to figure it out from the documentation. For example, only registered students/teachers with successful login in Moodle will be able to use BBB?

In the cases where BBB is not integrated with moodle, how do you control user access to the server, who can create meetings, join meetings, etc.?

b) Do you have any wiki with the planned release schedule?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Hi Jonas,

> a) How are the authentication/logins in Big Blue Button controlled?

The logic is if the user has the role of teacher, editingteacher, or manage, they get logged in as moderator; otherwise, they get logged in as viewer.

In view.php, here's the line that determines the current user's role

$moderator = has_capability('mod/bigbluebuttonbn:moderate', $context);

which uses the capabilities defined in access.php

//
// Ability to moderate a meeting
'mod/bigbluebuttonbn:moderate' => array(
'captype' => 'write',
'contextlevel' => CONTEXT_MODULE,
'legacy' => array(
'teacher' => CAP_ALLOW,
'editingteacher' => CAP_ALLOW,
'manager' => CAP_ALLOW
)
)
The code is here
    https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-mod_bigbluebutton/blob/master/moodle21/bigbluebuttonbn/view.php#L130
and here
    https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-mod_bigbluebutton/blob/master/moodle21/bigbluebuttonbn/db/access.php

> b) Do you have any wiki with the planned release schedule?

We release on qualiy, not dates.

We have a process that we follow for each release of BigBlueButton:

1. Setup http://test.bigbluebutton.org/ for wider testing of record  and playback (done) 
2. Convert http://demo.bigbluebutton.org/ to BigBlueButton 0.8-beta (done)
3. Publish packages for installation of BigBlueButton 0.8-beta on a Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit and 64-bit server (done)
4. Release BigBlueButton 0.8-beta VM
5. Release BigBlueButton 0.8

We're currently at Step 3.  Once we reach Step 4, we'll spend as many weeks as necessary to fix any bugs that would block the release.

Thanks for your feedback Jonas.  If you can, please post any BigBlueButton-related bugs to our developer mailing list at:

http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-dev/topics?gvc=2

For now, please post any bugs related to the activity module to this thead.

Regards,... Fred

Picture of Alejandro Pagán Ruiz

Hi Fred, i pleased you the excellent work with bbb and this module.

i would asked you if you have changed anything about schedule of this module. I installed this module in my moodle and don´t see the start and finish scheduled session in the activity configuration like appear in the youtube video.

I´ve installed bbb 0.8 in my bbb own server, activity module bbb in my moodle 2.1.

Thanks for all and i repeat: excellent work!!

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Alejandro,

The scheduling specifies the times between which users can join the on-line sessions.  Users can join after the "Join open" date/time up to the "Join closed" date/time.

The plugin doesn't end the session at the "Join closed" date/time; rather, it prevents users from joining after that point.

For example, in the properties settings below I've specified that users may join the on-line session between September 18 at 6pm and September 19 at 8pm.  Note: "Students must wait until a moderator joins" is checked, so the plugin will still prevent students form joining if a moderator (teacher) is not present in the session

a

After saving the changes to the activity link, here's how it appears in the calendar (you can see the entries for September 18 and 19th)

t2

Regards,... Fred

Hi Fred for your answers, but i refered that i don´t see "Schedule for sessions", i don´t know if i can do anything more to activate this option.

See my screen capture and you see that i refer. Thanks for all!!!

Picture of Fred Dixon

Thanks for the screen shot Alejandro.  I can see that the scheduling options do not appear.

What version of Moodle are using?   Any information about your setup would be helpful ... I'd like to duplicate your set to receate the problem here.

Regards,... Fred

My version is Moodle 2.1+ (Build: 20110726), so that i don´t think this is the problem, but you and the community know more than me.

The php version is PHP Version 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.9, although i think migrate moodle to a commercial server, for the moment is in my bbb server (ubuntu 10.04).

If you need more information, no doubt to answer me.

Thanks Fred.

Hi Fred, i´ve solved or better i´ve saw what was the problem that "Scheduled Sessions" doesnt appear, and its because "Scheduled Session"doesnt appear in the topic outline of a course (at the top), only appear in the chapters or weeks of a course.

So, thanks for all and problem solved.

For anything i am here.

Jens Gammelgaard
Ang: Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Just to be clear for all: Alejandro: When you say:  "Scheduled Session"doesnt appear in the topic outline of a course (at the top), only appear in the chapters or weeks of a course." - What do you mean and where did you activate that: "Scheduled Session" in the course so that it will become availible in the BBB-module in Moodle ? smile

Jens Gammelgaard
Ang: Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Thanks,- It works if used from Section 1 and onwards - but not from the the Topic Section.

Picture of Regdomain A
Students rights and automatic join of audio room

Is it possible:

1. to set up students rights to mute/unmute their microfons

2. autimaticly join adio  for each student with microfon muted  

Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: Students rights and automatic join of audio room

Hi Regdomain,

> 1. to set up students rights to mute/unmute their microfons

Your question is well timed.  We're currently working on the release of BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-3 and are adding a 'push to talk' button for students to have the ability to mute/unmute themselves.  

For a closer look, see this post in bigbluebutton-dev (we included a PDF for the proposed design).

Feedback welcome.

> 2. autimaticly join adio  for each student with microfon muted 

You have that ability today, but the moderator must enable it buy clicking the 'mute all' button (bottom of the Listener's window).  

Once 'mute all' is engaged, all users who are not locked (the 'lock' icon shows the user is unlocked) are muted as well as all users who join thereafter.

We'll let you know when BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-3 is released so you can try this out.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Geoffrey Rowland

A huge thanks for this Fred cool

Just to confirm that this installs nicely on Moodle 2.1.1+ and 2.2 alpha

Will be testing in the near future with the test-install.blindsidenetworks.com server.

Subsequently, will try with a local BBB server, probably installed on VirtualBox.

Now have to convince our IT Services to provide the additional disk-space for all the video conference recordings wink

A couple of issues

The previous BigBlueButton activity connecting to test-install is now broken for us. As I recollect it throws up an error about naming the session, even though it has been named. Presumably something has changed (upgrade?) at the server-end of things.

The lib.php in BigBlueButtonBN (1 instance) and RecordingsBN (2 instances) still have code generating the Grade error reported here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=172844

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for catching this! We'll fix the problem with grades and release an update to the 2.0/2.1 activity module shortly.

BigBlueButton 0.8 is now more stringent in enforcing that the 'create' api call pass a name parameter, which is causing the older activity module to not work.

We'll focus on updating the newer module first.  Look for another e-mail shortly.

Regards,... Fred

Picture of Geoffrey Robinson

Hi Frank

Thanks for the feedback, I've been busy working on other modules and like the BBB. By the way I'm using Moodle 2.0.2+ (Build: 20110323)...

Geoff

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Geoffrey R.

We've removed the code that was generating the grade error.  Again, thanks for catching this.  Please download the latest version from

http://blindsidenetworks.com/integration#moodle2021   

and update your installation.  Checking

Home > Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Manage activities

should show version number 2011091600 for both plugins.  Let me know if you see any other problems with these new plugins.

Regards,... Fred

Tried the new install which was successful on my localhost/firefox 3.5.3. But when logging in as moderator the screen is completely blank, with no debug info showing. Although page download is indicated as done

I tried the previous test install and everything worked fine. Am I missing something? Any thoughts appreciated

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Geoffery,

Can you confirm your trying newer activity module for 2.0/2.1 downloaded from

http://blindsidenetworks.com/downloads/moodle/bigbluebutton_blindsidenetworks_activity_module_20-21.zip

I just tried it on both Moodle 2.0 and Moodle 2.1 and it works. 

Can you tell us the URL of the blank screen .. does it still read localhost or test-install.blindsidenetworks.com.

Can you try clearing your browser cache (shouldn't matter, but let's try).

Also, can you share what version of Moodle you are using and we'll setup the same version here to test.

Regards,... Fred

Picture of George Varghese

Hi Fred

Thanks a lot for 'install-ruby.sh' script; the upgrading of a BBB server from 0.71a to 0.8 was very quick.

On a Moodle 2.0.3+ (Build: 20110729) , got the following error (from BigBlueButtonBN -> a BBB server upgraded to 0.8 )  

"Exception - String could not be parsed as XML

More information about this error "

However, BigBlueButton -> the same 0.8 server continue to work  as before.

George

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi George,

This error is usally the result of the Server URL not ending in '/bigbluebutton/'.  Can you check the configuration screen for the BigBlueButtonBN activity module and confirm the server URL reads

http://<your_server>/bigbluebutton/

not

http://<your_server>

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of George Varghese

Thanks a lot, Fred, for the promt reply. Yes, as you pointed out ,it was my mistake ( a hangover from the  BigBlueButton  URL entry) that caused the error. 

After the change of  the URL for  BigBlueButtonBN ("   http://<your_server>/bigbluebutton/") , it is working perfectly on all the moodle versions I tried, including Moodle 2.2dev (Build: 20110921)

Cheers.

George

Picture of Daniel lee
回复: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Hi Fred,After I upgrade to bbb 0.8,the 1.9 moodle module dos't work.Any plans to support the 1.9 version?

Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: 回复: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Hi Daniel,

We'll be releasing an update to 0.8-beta soon that will enable to the 1.9 version to create meetings.

Your currently seeing a message "You must supply a name parameter".  

I'll post back when we release 0.8-beta-2 for BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton developer

Picture of Marcin W
Re: 回复: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Hello,

I have just installed Moodle 2.1 and Bigbluebutton 0.8 with activiti modul 2.0/2.1 In my instance after setup virtual class with record option I dont have any records in recordingsBN.

My bbb listen on port 8090, I dont think so it can be the reason.

Please help me to resolve it

Regards,

M.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Marcin,

We recommend you install BigBlueButton 0.8-beta on a separate, dedicated server.  For detailed reasons, see earlier posts in this thread.

For a recording to occur, a session must have audio and at least one presentation.  

Can you try another session and make sure (a) you join the audio bridge (click the headset icon), and (b) upload at least one slide presentation.

Test the above and let us know if BigBlueButton records the session.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Marcin W

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your answer. I did what you say, two people in session + upload presentation, and I have record, but when im trying to play it by cliking link, new page open with popcorn player and stack.

P.S Where is located file record ?

Regards, Marcin

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Marcin,

BigBlueButton currently encodes the audio for the playback using Ogg Vorbis, and open source audio format that is very compressed.

Try the playback using FireFox or Chrome and let us know if it works.

Regards,... Fred

Picture of Marcin W

Fred,

I login to my moodle using Firefox, then navigate to records, click on "slides", then automaticly open new window in Firefox and it stack.

Regards,Marcin

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Marcin,

Can you message me directly the link to your recording so I can try viewing it at our end.  Thanks!

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Marcin W

Im not sure how I can do that, what  exactlly do You need ?

At this moment i have another quastion, im polish native, when I upload to presentation pure txt or doc documents with polish letters, after it, I have insted of polish special letters (ąąćććóó), dump text

Regards, Marcin

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Marcin,

Recommend you upload your presentation as PDF -- all the fonts will come through.

For more information, see this FAQ entry for BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Marcin W

Fred,

PDF is fine for me smile

What about playing my records ?, What do you need from me smile

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Marcin,

Can you message me the URL to your recording ... we'd like to try and look at it and see why it's not playing back for you.

To confirm, you need to use FireFox or Chrome at the moment for playback.  If you have a recording that doesn't play back in either of those two browsers, we'd like to take a closer look at the URL for that recording.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Marcin,

Thanks for sending me the playback link.  

I think you've installed BigBlueButton on the same server as Moodle and you have BigBlueButton listening on a different port (8090).  Having BigBlueButton listen on port 8090 is causing the playback not to work.

At the moment, all of our testing has been on running BigBlueButton on a separate server (not the same server as Moodle) and having BigBlueButton listen to the defeult HTTP port 80.

Is it possible for you to install BigBlueButton on it's own server so it can use port 80?  For more reasons why see

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=166528#p811257

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Marcin W

Hi Fred,

Thansk for investigating my case. Now I change listen port to default 80. You can use link what I send You replace port 8090 to 80. Output is the same like before player stack.

Regards,Marcin

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Marcin,

Can you try doing a new recording (with audio and slides) and see if it goes all the way through and is accessible for you from within Moodle.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Marcin W

Hi Fred,

I did new recording with default port 80. Slides shows up, but when trying to open, it stack like before on port 8090.

Regards,Marcin

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Marcin,

I'm not able to open the link you sent(looks like the server might be off-line).  

I'm going to message you directly ...

I'd like to login to your Moodle and try doing a recording from the beginning.  It might be in changing from port 8090 back to 80 one of the BigBlueButton settings didn't update.

Look for a direct message.  I'll post a summary of the results to the this group.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Marcin W

Fred,

I would like to thank You for your time spent with me via skype session. Record playback works as should. Problem was in my FF web browser, which was not up to date.

Thanks for great jobs.

Regards, Marcin.

Picture of Valber Zacarkim

Hello friends!
The recording of the lesson through the Moodle does not appear in RecordingsBN.
I auditioned for Salt standard module in Moodle and it worked!
But when I change the server path and the Salt number jumps to my dedicated server, enters the room, normal, normal record, but did not list in RecordingsBN.
when wrote the bbb-record --list the recordings list and appears also in the record through the API DEMO.

Sorry about my english! I'm from Brasil!

Please, help!

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Valber,

Can you confirm your BigBlueButton server is running 0.8-beta.

If it's BigBlueButton 0.71a you won't see any recordings.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Valber Zacarkim

Hi Fred!

My first test was to 0.7A.
As I lay on the subject, bigbluebutton to upgrade to 0.8-beta, uninstalled and installed everything again as indicated on the website of the BBB.
Now it's all right my server BBB. 0.8 but the module does not list Moodle 2.0/2.1 recordings made by my server. But when I change the salt and address of the server to the default module, it works perfectly.
Have uninstalled and installed the module and does not work.

What can be?

Thanks for helping friend!

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Valber,

Would you be comfortable messaging me the URL and salt for your server so we can test ourselves.  Thanks!

Regards,.. Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Hi Fred,

A Question about the access of a "guest" of a moodle

In my moodle (2.1.1+) when i create a course (for example 1 topic) with the activity bigbluebuttonbn and I unmark the function "join" in the privileges of rol guest in "Site administration/Users/Permissions/Define roles" to avoid the access into the webinar (only to preview the course), the access with the role "guest" is allowed, this can enter the room and then i have to desactivate the access to the course of guests to avoid it.

Screen capture permissions bbb in moodle

Do you know how to resolve this problem??

Thanks Fred for this great web application!!!

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Alejandro,

Just to confirm ... I think you are saying when you enable guest access to the course, you want to disable guest access to the BigBlueButtonBN Activity module.

Is this correct?

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Yes Fred, that user not registered that want to see how to work the course before the enrolment, but he only will see the activities of bbb and he doesnt join the webinar until he register and enrol it in this course, only then he can join to the webinar with the student privileges.

Thanks for you atention!!!

Jens Gammelgaard
Ang: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Fred,

Thank you for all of your assistance.

I wonder if there are some general guidelines to make the playbacks   more accessible?

IE9 and FF7 both did not playback the recording of your sample.

BR
Jens 

Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: Ang: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Hi Jens,

Can you try the link again to the sample recording.

It should playback in FF7, Chrome, and Safari.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Jens Gammelgaard
Ang: Re: Ang: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Hi Fred,

Yes,- I can confirm that it works for all modern browsers smile

Regards

Jens 

Picture of JD Moodle
Re: Ang: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback

Hmmm using FF 7, I see the chat and hear the audio, but i don't see any slides.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Jeremy,

Try the link again and let us know if it works.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

HI Fred, could you modify anything of the module activity bbb of moodle to denied the access to the role "invited", with the disabled settings of site administration of the module for this role, continue working, not denied.

For other side, we could precharge any presentation before join, with the goal of only record the presentation, with voices and chat, not "white presentation" during the time of upload of the slides, i think you released for the final 0.8 version, but if there is any posibility of modify any file .xml or other, much better!!

Thanks.

Picture of Jesus Federico

Hi Alejandro,

You should try the new version. We have included the feature you were looking for.

Please check the post for more details.

Regards,

Jesus

Thouraya

Hi, 

I just tried to install it on moodle 2.0.x and this is what I had as notification. (see file)

Where is the problem upo you and what I'm supposed to do next.

Thank you very much in advance

Hi Thouraya,

You have three different errors but no one is precisely related to the BigBlueButtonBN module.

The first one seems to me as you don't have the right permisions in the upload directory. Please look at:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=118928

The second one is a warning because you have the php error messages activated. It is also something you can fix in your php.ini file.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=110578

The third one in a first glance look to me that is related to the way MySQL is configured and/or how the database was created when you installed moodle.

Good luck smile

Hi Fred, with new update and new feature of allow groups, it doesn´t work the recording when moderator enter in any group, only works in courses without groups.

Thanks Fred.

Hi Alejandro,

Actually the recording is working fine. It is just the recordingBN that is not showing the recordings when they where created in [Separate groups] mode.

We have a fix for that that we are going to release very soon. 

Thanks for the report

Jesus Federico

Picture of Regdomain A

Is it possible to cnfgure plugin:

1. students automatically join aidio room and they are muted

2. students have the right to mute-unmute their microfons 

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Regdomain,

I've already answered this question for you in this thread.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=185675#p823767

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Carolina Albornoz

What format does Big Blue Button save the recording as? Can it easily be edited, and can it be imported into for example Premiere for more precise video editing?

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Carolina,

The recordings are saved as PNG for the slides, the audio in a vorbis file (in an ogg container), and the chat in XML file.  All this is wrapped in Javascript and played back using popcorn.js within an HTML5 browser, which is specific to Chrome and Firefox due to the open source audio format we are using (vorbis).

When we embarked on adding recording to BigBlueButton, we knew that folks would want everything recorded, full editing capabilities, multiple output formats, etc.  Our goal with BigBlueButton 0.8 wasn't to try and do everything for recording ... if we did, we would never finish this release.  smile

What we are ding in BigBlueButton 0.8 is focusing on the core of recorindg slides + audio + chat.  In 0.8, there is no mechanism for editing the recording or multiple output formats.  

However, the foundation is in place to add these capabilities in future iterations.  

Regards,... Fred

-- 
BigBlueButton Developer
http://bigbluebutton.org/
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton

Picture of Fred Dixon

We've released BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-3.  

We encourage everyone who is using an earlier beta for BigBlueButton 0.8 to upgrade and give us feedback.  To install/upgrade see BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-3 install instructions.

For students we've added a "push to talk" button.  This will let students mute/un-mute themselves (if their audio is not locked by a moderator) so they don't have to petition a moderator to do so.

The button appears in the lower left-hand corner of the Listeners window after the student joins the audio in a session (clicking the headset icon). 

push_to_talk

You can try out push to talk button on our demo server at http://demo.bigbluebutton.org/.

Putting on my Blindside Networks hat, we also recently updated our BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingsBN plug-ins for Moodle 2.0/2.1.  To download the latest updates, see

http://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=2

As with BigBlueButton, we are very interested if anyone encounters troubles using these modules with their BigBlueButton server.   Gavin Henrick recently posted this review of BigBlueButtonBN.   

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer

Thanks Fred, and the rest of the BBB developers.

Have started tinkering with the BBB 0.8-beta-3 server and the latest BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingsBN plug-ins with Moodle 2.2 beta. Have successfully recorded and replayed my first session.

In case they help any-one else, here are some brief experiences. I can forward more details if required. The BBB documentation and FAQs have been invaluable.

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/

We are running the BBB server in VirtualBox allocating 2 CPUs and 4 GB RAM from a 16 CPU core, 32 GB RAM physical server (also hosting our Moodle 2.2 on CentOS5). We installed the Ubuntu BBB 0.7 image, then upgraded via 0.8-beta-2 to 0.8 beta-3. The upgrade scripts worked well.

As with many BBB deployments, we are behind a firewall. Also, we do not currently have a spare 'external' IP address. Therefore,  we used a ReverseProxy to route an an external address of bbb.our.institution.co.uk to the IP address of the internal virtual BBB server (similar to the method documented in the BBB FAQ) with all connections tunnelling through port 80.

To my surprise this more-or-less works. However, the initial connection is slow (proxy/tunnelling negotiations?) and connections seem somewhat fragile and frequently get disconnected. Perhaps some timeout issue? Any suggestions?

Have also noticed that the Flash/BBB client interface has a few cosmetic rendering issues in Firefox and Chrome (is OK in Internet Explorer). At the top right, the Language button defaults to Arabic (the first option on the Menu) rather than the browser default (English) and the Log Out button is missing its 'Log Out' label. This happens with both the Blindside demo server and our local virtual server,

At some point, we hope to move to a dedicated BBB Server with dedicated IP address and ports for RTMP and Desktop sharing. However, we have been impressed that things are already pretty much working on our pilot setup.

Keep up the good work!

Just to report that I have upgraded to the latest BigBlueButton Build 3922-2011-12-20.

As before, the upgrade process was painless.

The cosmetic issues reported in my previous post (Language menu and Logout button) are now fixed and the video dock is neatly aligned at the lower left of the screen.

Still getting 'random' disconnections after a few to several minutes, though this may have improved slightly. The problem seems worse as more folks are involved in the conference, though this may just reflect that the more connections there are, the more chance of one of them being disconnected.

As before, any suggestions to reduce the disconnection rate?

A big thanks for the continuing BBB development work. Happy holidays!

Picture of L Robinson

Hi-

I am excited to try the 20-21 install of BBB.  However, after a successful install, I tried to set up a test meeting- I got the error

Separate groups: All participants

http://elearn.sos.ga.gov/moodle_test/theme/image.php?theme=allc&image=error&rev=173&component=theme");background-color:#ffffff;">

There are no groups configured yet. Please set up groups before trying to jopin the meeting.

More information about this error

Stack trace:

• line 429 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 185 of \mod\bigbluebuttonbn\view.php: call to print_error()

I went back into settings and the option to set groups is not available (see the screen grab attached to this message.)

Any suggestions?  Does the plug in require groups in a course?

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi,

Currently, if you specify that you want Separate groups, the user joining the BigBlueButton session needs to be assigned to a group.

You should be able to create a link without having having Separte gropus enalbed.  The dropdown on Group mode should have two choices:

Separate Groups

No Groups

Here's a screen shot showing the drop-down active

Try modifying the BigBlueButtonBN link and sepecify Group mode -> No Groups and try it again.

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer 

Hi Fred

Haven't forgotten BBB have been busy developing/integrating other stuff. Just an enquiry about the Flash versions for your lastest release.  Notice sys requirements for your latest BBB is Flash 10.3, I'm working an old ppc mac 10.4 (others I work with  have the latest intel macs 10.6 etc so  no probs). As adobe don't support Flash for this anymore (only up to 10.1) not good for using BBB. Pretty sure your earlier release worked with Flash 10.1? Can you clarify, maybe I've got it all wrong?

Just that users of our Moodle may not have the latest Flash versions so may have trouble if we integrate BBB with our site.Which we would like to do...maybe others have the same issue with users of their Moodle.

So the big "Q" is...can BBB work with earlier Flash at all? Maybe we can use the earlier non-recording versions if they're available/supported..?

all the best and thanks for such proactive feedback (PS using Moodle 2.1.2+).

geoff

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Geoffrey,

BigBlueButton 0.8 will require Flash 10.3 (or later) to run the client, and there isn't an option to run it with an earlier veison of Flash.  

We could try to do multiple versions of the client, such as create one that loads with Flash 10.1, but honestly it's enough effort for us to develop and test a single version of the BigBlueButton client.

If we got enough customer pull to support earlier versions of Flash, we would invest the additional effort to do so; otherwise, we'll continue to focus on Flash 10.3.

Adobe does a very good job on development of Flash and you want to be using the latest version.  And maybe the need to run BigBlueButton is the reason you've been looking for to buy a new Mac!

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer 

Picture of Nisreen Ghorani

Hello Fred and Happy new year,

I host my moodle 2.1.1 by a host company, yesterday I installed BBB Moodle 2.0/2.1 activity module simply by unzipping the folder in "mod" directory using cPanel file manager, as a result I got the two folders "bigbluebuttonbn" and "recordingsbn". when I login my moodle as an Admin, the BBB module was not detected , just gives this messege (The code you are using is OLDER than the version that made these databases!) ! although I tested the module on my local server (XAMPP) and it works good.

SO.. what should I change in the server side? please HELP

Picture of John Andrewartha

I have installed BBB 07a and can connect to the demo using IP address. A FNQ just gives me the ngixn welcome page.

When trying to connect from Moodle 2.2.1 it tells me the BBB server is dead.

It's apparent I have missed something on BBB. What?   I can connect to the test server OK from Moodle.

And yes I have spent 4 hours trawling the docs.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi John,

First, let's get your BigBlueButton server working.  Are you trying to provide access through a firewall.  If so, please see this FAQ entry.

If you are trying to setup your BigBlueButton server with a fully qualified domain name, see this entry on change the BigBlueButton servers IP.

For the BigBlueButtonBN activity module, is it working with the default values for test-install.blindsidenetworks.com?

Let us know if the above gets you further.  We're here to help.

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer 

Picture of David Heuring

Hi Fred et al.  Totally awesome job with the BBB upgrade to 0.8.3.  I hope it is okay to jump on this thread with another question.  I just set BBB 0.8.3 up on a server last night and it's working flawlessly.  However, my Moodle LMS installation is still at the 1.9 stage.  I can't upgrade to 2.1+ because the theme I am using (Flexpage) is still not supported. 

So when I installed the BBB 1.9 plugin, I realized that the recording function and a few other new features in the settings do not appear to be included in this plugin.  Is there any chance the BBB 1.9 plugin will ever have these features?  I realize I need to upgrade to Moodle 2+ but it just can't happen for awhile so I'm hoping someone is working on this for 1.9.  Yes?  

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback!  We upgraded our BigBlueButtonBN integration for Moodle 2.0/2.1 to support record and playback, but we haven't done the same to the 1.9 integration as it's not a small amount of work (i.e. a few weeks).

Most universities and colleges are asking us to focus on 2.0+, so we need to see some customer pull before we invest the time in updating the older version.  I'll follow-up with you directly.

If you like 0.8-beta-3, your going to like 0.8-beta-4 which will be out shortly.

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer 

Picture of David Heuring

Thanks for the quick response, Fred.  Much appreciated.  I can certainly understand the time and resources involved in an upgrade to the 1.9 plugin. Wouldn't male much sense if there are only a few of us left.  I'm sort of stuck on this one, caught between the two versions.  Anyway, if there are others out there still using 1.9+ and need this update, speak up, okay?  Looking forward to 0.8-beta-4.  Keep up the great work!!!

Picture of Mike Smith

Hi,

Yes we are staying with Moodle 1.9 for a few reasons:

• we also use FlexPage
  • we use Nanogong
  • we use Hot Potatoes
  • we like the old file structure

Flexpage and Nanogong will probably eventually be fixed for Moodle 2 at some stage, but the file structure change in M2 is causing me some grief.  Moodle 1.9 just suits the way that I'm managing my course areas and resources.  Perhaps I'm in the minority but I just really like the way you can presume the resource structure is actually the real file structure in each course area.  I use meta/child to achieve cross-course sharing of (usually multimedia) resources, supplemented by symbolic links at the OS level.

I'm also extremely nervous at the number of people posting in the forums having problems with Moodle 2, particularly in using Hot Potatoes - a key plank in our question bank strategy.  I have also seen some fairly desperate posts recently with teachers migrating from 1.9 to 2 (organisational decision) over term breaks, and suddenly finding all their resources not working.

I wonder how many others feel the same?

We've just started out with BBB and have commited to using it rather than our existing Blackboard Collaborate.  We are very much looking forward to the features like recording but, even without this, BBB is much better than Collaborate for us because of its clean lines and because we can control its appearance.  It's not going to radically change its looks one week (are you listening Blackboard!?)

Anyway, I'm not surprised that Unis are going with Moodle 2 as they have the resources to fix issues, but for my small e-learning business we are favouring stability, familiarity and the known capabilities of Moodle 1.9. 

I'm sure that many small operators like me (who depend on Moodle's community spirit) would greatly appreciate Big Blue Button to be supported on Moodle 1.9.  If we have to donate a bit to get that happening, then that's fine.

Cheers,
Mike Smith, Brisbane, Australia

Picture of Konrad Lorinczi

Waiting for Moodle v1.9.x plugin, which is updated to support record and playback.

Thanks,
Konrad Lorinczi

Picture of Konrad Lorinczi

Any news on v1.9.x version?

I would need record feature in Moodle 1.9.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Konrad,

While we've had some interest in adding record and playback capabilities to our BigBlueButton integration for Moodle 1.9, there is insufficent customer pull for doing the work.

In comparison, it took us quite a few weeks of effort to update the BigBlueButtonBN integration for Moodle 2.x to support record and playback.  We expect it would be (at least) a few weeks of effort to do the same.  

Also, we've also been working for months on finishing BigBlueButton 0.8 (with record and playback) and we are getting close.

We volunteer our time on both of the above activites and are very determined to deliver to the Moodle community a solid combination of BigBlueButton activity module + BigBlueButton = open source lecture broadcast and capture.

In the absence of strong customer pull for updating the Moodle 1.9 activity module, I think most members of our community would rather us continue to focus our efforts on integrating Moodle 2.x and BigBlueButton 0.8.

I know that's not the answer your looking for, but I hope you understand our reasoning for focusing on Moodle 2.x at the moment. 

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Developer

Re: Flashplayer + debug message

Hi Fred

Finally getting handle on BBB integration with our site services and start some decent usability testing, yes old faithful is gone (re: ppc)...Two issues would like some feedback if possible:

1- Was in a major publishing firm in the UK and the BBB wouldn't work as it came up with fp 11.1 required, as per your previous comments (10.3 +) this shouldn't have happened?? Finding out thier fp version but I would expect it to be later than 10.3 Obviously our users are important so any poor compatability issues with systems they maybe using are a concern.

FYI Configured the out of the box demo you have on moodle working great though came across this debug as per below:

Updating: BigBlueButton
(our url/moodle/course/modedit.php?update=82&return=0)

-goto BigBlueButton administration block

-click Permissions link

(goto our url /admin/roles/permissions.php?contextid=265)

-Get this debug message:

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: moodle_database::get_in_or_equal() does not accept empty arrays

We have BBB set with a Grouping using the experimental available for group members only and currently using Moodle 2.2.1+ (Build: 20120112)

regards

Geoff R

Picture of Bashira Lodewyk

Hello!

Just a quick question...can the big blue button be used in Moodle 2.2?

thanks!

Indeed. It works for 2.x 

Regards,... Jesus Federico
BigBlueButton Developer 

C'est moi :-)
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Fred,

i just wanted to say that it could be (very) useful if a (Moodle) teacher was able to select a (PDF) document/file to use at the beginning of the conference (replacing the possible BBB default one), when he creates the BBB activity.

Thanks in advance if you could integrate that in the next BigBlueButtonBN module version wink

Séverin

Picture of Fred Dixon

Thanks for the feedback Séverin.  The tricky part is giving BigBlueButton access to that document.  There are a variety of approaches.

1.  Consider if we allow the presenter to upload the document to Moodle via the BigBlueButtonBN plugin.  Later, when the presenter joins the BigBlueButton server, the BigBlueButton server would need to call back to Moodle with a URL that directly accesses their previously uploaded document.  We have to pass a security token to BigBlueButton to enable it to access that document within Moodle.  

2.  An alternative approach is to have the BigBlueButtonBN plugin upload the document to the BigBlueButton server when creating the activity link.  We would have to add a new API for enabling BigBlueButton to store/retrieve/delete documents (not a small amount of work).

3.  Another approach would be for the presenter to upload their document to a repository that makes it available via a URL, then provide that URL in BigBlueButtonBN plugin when creating the link.  This doesn't require any changes to BigBlueButton itself ans the plugin can pass that URL to later create the session when users begin to join. 

Approach (3) would be the easiest to implement, but I'm not sure it would be the easiest for the presenter.

Regards,... Fred
-- 
BigBlueButton Developer

Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Thanks Fred for all your work on BigBluebutton, and your detailed answer.

Talking French as primary langage, i'm not sure to really understand all your explanations, and what it involves exactly for each option (from a technical point of view).

I think that the document should not be stored in BBB when creating (adding) the Moodle activity (by the teacher) in the course (it's not the way BBB acts).
But rather when opening the conference : the document would then be pushed to BBB when Moodle calls the API to create the BBB conference. Or perhaps the document would be pushed on BBB's webserver (at a temporary place), and an URL would be passed via BBB's API...

That's a suggestion, and i think you'll find the best possible answer, when possible wink

Séverin

Picture of Fred Dixon

The BigBlueButton core development team is pleased to announce the release of BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4.  

In this release we added fit-to-width, giving you the ability to display any document to students as fit-to-width or fit-to-page (see image below).

fit-to-width

We've also released a downloadable virtual machine (VM) that anyone can run using VMWare Player/Workstation (PC and Unix) or VMWare Fusion (Mac) to easily setup a test 0.8-beta-4 server.  See download BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4 VM.

We've also closed sixty-five issues since release of 0.8-beta-3.  See release notes.

We encourage anyone who is interested in BigBlueButton to download the VM or install 0.8-beta-4 on one of their servers (see installation instructions for 0.8-beta-4) and integrate it with Moodle using the BigBlueButtonBN Moodle plugin.

Thanks to everyone who has given us feedback on our previous betas.   Our goal with BigBlueButton is to provide remote students a high quality learning experience.  The release of BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4 brings us one step closer.

Regards,... Fred
--

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Patrick Juhl

Hello Fred!

First of all, I must say I am really impressed by bigbluebutton and its capabilities! What an amazing tool!

I have setup locally a VM using 0.8-beta-4 which seems to work fine when I connect to the associated web page in my browser. Now, I was hoping to integrate it to moodle 2.2 so I have installed and configured the plugin according to my installation of BBB but I have an issue when trying to create a new BBB activity in moodle. I get the following error:

Unable to connect. Please check the url of the BigBlueButton server AND check to see if the BigBlueButton server is running.

I am pretty sure it is running since I can access it through the browser as I mentioned. There is one slight difference though, when I connect through the browser I need to use the ip of the VM server, without "/bigbluebutton/", otherwise I get the following error:

This page is no longer available, please use the api.

In moodle, I have configured it as follows:

http://<my_host>/bigbluebutton/

Do you have any idea what I might have done wrong ?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick Juhl

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Patrick,

It sounds like you are doing everyone correct.  Did you put in the the shared secret (salt) from your BigBlueButton VM into the configuration for the BigBlueButtonBN Activity Module.

On your BigBlueButton server, enter the command

bbb-conf --salt

and it will print out the URL and shared secret (salt) that you use to configure the BigBlueButtonBN activity module.

http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_bigbluebuttonbn

Try the above and let me know if you still have problems.  

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer 

Picture of Patrick Juhl

Hi Fred,

Sorry for disturbing for so little. I rewrote the salt and surprise! the very last character was incorrect...

It now works like a charm!

Thank you for pointing it out!

Kind regards,

Patrick Juhl

Picture of Daniel Martinho

Hi!  I have this same exact issue, however, I'm trying to run the 0.80 version of BBB on a 2.2.3 install of Moodle.  I've checked and double-checked the salt and have checked and double-checked the correct URL (http://xxx.xxx.x.xx/bigbluebutton/) but keep getting the

"Unable to connect. Please check the url of the BigBlueButton server AND check to see if the BigBlueButton server is running."

error when I try to create a BBB activity.

I've set up a VM and can run BBB when I input the given URL into my browser but can't seem to run it in Moodle.  I feel like I'm so close but am missing something trivial. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, just FYI, I'm running the 1.07 build and I've tried running the default server and salt and it works just fine... I've scoured the documentation and just can't seem to find what the issue is... 

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Dan,

We read the BigBlueButton Development forums as well (I can see your post there too).  I'll respond in both places to ensure if someone only reads one they can follow our thread.

Just to confirm, you are using the BigBlueButton integration from

It's very likely a networking issue, and the best way to test is to use the public test-install server. Can you try it with the following salt (shared secret) and URL.

url: http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/
salt: 8cd8ef52e8e101574e400365b55e11a6

It should work.  Next, can you login to your BigBlueButton server and post the output of

sudo bbb-conf --check

Next, can you try opening the following URL

(where xxx.xxx.x.xx is the IP address for your server).  If we try it against the test-install server, 

you should get

<response>
<returncode>SUCCESS</returncode>
<version>0.8</version>
</response>

Finally, is your BigBlueButton VM running behind a firewall?  If so, you need to setup external access to the VM.  See

The key to setting up external access is to assign a fully qualified host name (FQDN) to your firewall.  Don't try accessing it using the IP address of the firewall; rather, use the FQDN and setup your firewall and BigBlueButton VM according to the above FAQ.

Dan, try the above and let us know the results.  Since you posted the question in two forums, you need to post your answer in two forums smile.

Regards,... Fred
-- 
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton

Thanks for the suggestions, but it turns out it was in fact a server issue...I didn't have one!  After a quick skype conference with Fred I found out I needed an external server and couldn't merely use my computer to run BBB on Moodle.  Thanks so much, Fred, for taking the time to figure this out!

Picture of Patrick Juhl

Hello Fred!

I have updated moodle to version 2.2.2+ recently and now it seems I cannot create new bbb activities as moodle just stalls when I try to do so. The same happens when I try to edit an existing bbb activity.

Any idea what could be the issue ? If there is some log I could provide you, could you please point it out to me ?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback - French translation

Hi Fred,

I had made (some months ago) a french translation of the BigBlueButton plugin (with recordingBN). After Jesus Federico's message, i had improved it in mygengo.

When downloading today's Moodle 2.x git repo, french recordingbn version isn't included sad

Hop someone can do something to integrate it in next version...

From a Moodle user point of view, it would be good to have BBB translation handled by AMOS wink

Séverin

Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 now supports record and playback - French translation

Hi Séverin,

No worries -- we'll include the French translation in RecordingsBN before we release BigBlueButton 0.8 final.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer 

Thanks (in advance) Fred smile

I've also made some changes in BigBlueButton itself : mainly shorter strings, for better look (being able to see the whole sentence).

Talking about that, it would be good if :

• the "Switch presenter" button was a little larger (there is some space before the "raise hand" button) wink
  • on the whiteboard, let less space beetween the thin and large exemples and the thickness changer (at first & quick look, one can not understand they're related)

Thanks in advance for all these things,
Séverin

Oh! Je suis tres desole mon ami,

I didn't see the changes in myGengo. But is definitively something we are going to fix for the next release that by the way is coming soon due a minor but important change in the dates format for recordings.

Thanks a lot for your help

Picture of Jonas Asa.

Hi.

There are many legal issues concerning recordings. Therefore, we want to simple disable them for the time being. Which is the best way to do that? It seems that there is no permission in the role definition concerning that.

Thank you!!!!

Hi Jonas,

I'm not sure what you mean with "disable them".

From the integration point of view in bigbluebutton meetings can be created in two modes [whitout recordings <default>] or [with recordings]. In this case, meetings are created once a user gets in but based on the parameters that were set up when the Activity was added to the course in Moodle.

The person who adds the activity needs to make the decision if the meetings for that activity will be recorded or not. This is done by checking or unchecking the checkbox [Record] in the properties of this activity.

Getting back to the roles, whoever able to edit the activities will be able to set this mode to on and off.

Regards,

Jesus Federico...BigBlueButton developer

Picture of Jonas Asa.

Hi Frederico,

Sorry for not being entirely clear. I have a few hundreds of courses with a few hundred of users (teachers) which, if the plugin is enabled will be able to Enable recordings when they create the activity as you explained. The problem is that the legal system without special authorization in principle does not allow this sort of recordings to be performed even in the educational context. Therefore, we want to disable them while we clear that out.

One possible idea which apparently works is just to hide the recordings section from the form,

=> if ( $serverVersion == '0.8' to something like if ( $serverVersion == '0.01'

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Joans,

Very good suggestion.

We've added a property that you can now set on the server to disable it from recording lectures.   See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=1196

This will be included in the next update to 0.8-beta-4.  By doing this on the server, you can make it global for all users who access BigBlueButton, regardless of the path they take.

We'll post a follow-up when the updated BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4 is public.

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton developer

Picture of Jonas Asa.

Nice smile Thanks a lot.

Picture of Mohamed alam

do i need to have bigbluebutton server to use audio and video chat.

Or just use bigbluebutton moodle plugin and it will connect to the big blue button server. plz tell me as i am new to this.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Mohamed,

You need to have a separate server for BigBlueButton and put in the URL and shared secret (salt) for your server into the BigBlueButtonBN activity module.  See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/08InstallationUbuntu

Specifically, see

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/08InstallationUbuntu#URL_and_salt_for_3rd_party_integrations

We provide a public server called test-install.blindsidenetworks.com to enable anyone to easily test BigBlueButton with their Moodle server.  The BigBlueButtonBN integration has its default values for URL and shared secret (salt) for test-install.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton developer 

Picture of Brett Mckay

Hi Fred,

I'm evaluating different options and due to our monitoring purposes, am trying to check if your integration allows me easily to check which people were online when, during a conference?

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Brett,

Currently, there isn't a report from the BigBlueButton server itself (and there isn't an API call that exists in BigBlueButton that would enable the BigBlueButtonBN Activity module to request such as report).

The BigBlueButtonBN activity module does register usage logs that you can access from within Moodle.

If you are an administgrator for the course, youc an access the Reports option and get a report of which users viewed the BigBlueButtonBN link.  

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer 

Picture of Jonas Asa.

Hi Fred. Happened to notice that if you add the bbb activity in position 0 (not in a topic), timeavailable is not defined so validation in mod_form throws an error with programmer  debug mode on.

Hi Jonas,

Your right, this is a bug. Since the activities in position 0 are supposed to be generic and not scheduled activities, they don't have schedule to be configured.

The validation need to be restricted only to weekley activities.

It has been fixed but need to be tested.

Nice catch!,

Thanks

Jesus Federico...BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Everyone,

We have released version 1.0.7 of the BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingsBN Activity Module for Moodle 2.x.   

This release fixes a number of PHP errors related to mod_intro, a bug where RecordingsBN was not backing up, and adds support for English, Spanis, and French localization.  You can download the updated modules at

The modules have been tested with Moodle 2.2.  When Moodle 2.3 is released, we will test again and ensure everything works.

We recommend everyone using these modules upgrade to version 1.0.7.  As always, let us know if you encounter any problems.  

In parallel, we are nearing the finish of development of BigBlueButton 0.8 (with record and playback).  If you are running a BigBlueButton server 0.8, we recommend you update to the latest 0.8-beta-4 (this is the current release at the time of writing).  To see what's new in 0.8-beta-4 and for instructions to upgrade, check out the release notes at

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/ReleaseNotes

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer 

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the new plugin versions.

I've just one problem, on my Moodle 2.1.5+ : if things are well for recordingsbn, it seems that french translation is not used for bigbluebuttonbn (the file is in place) sad

I've tried the Moodle "purge all caches" option, but it doesn't change anything...

Another thing : shouldn't all the view_recording_list_* strings be in recordingsbn ?

Séverin

You are right, there is a vey unusual problem with the French translation that by the way is not an issue for other languages as for example the Spanish one.

We are going to need a time to investigate why it could that happening.

The reason we put originally some of the Strings on the bigbluebyuttonbn module was to create a dependence in certain level and to avoid redundant code as well.

But you might be right. For the next release we should separate the two modules totally and leave the dependence in the use level.

Good suggestion. Thanks

No problem to wait for that, it's not urgent.

Perhaps with newer version, when BBB 0.8 final will be there wink

Hi again Séverin,

As follow up, I wanted to let you know that I made a huge misstake at the time I merged the language files in the last package.

Since myGengo replaces the php array I need to apply the changes manually.

The good new is that that work has bee done. If you are in a hurry you can download the lates update from the github repository.

https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-mod_bigbluebutton

Or, if you have some more time we are about to update the other repos.

Cheers,

Jesus Federico...BigBlueButton developer 

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Séverin,

We've just updated the packages in for BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingsBN in

So feel free to grab them from the Moodle plugin repository and let us know if everything works as it should.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer 

Thanks for the new versions : everything works well smile

And it's nice to see you're always answering (and correcting things) fast smile

Just one thing : if i say that my BBB activity must use "separated groups", but haven't defined group, i've got an error message :
"There are no groups configured yet. Please set up groups before trying to jopin the meeting."

It's normal to have an error, but : there's an error in it, and it's not in french...

Séverin

Oh!, Your right again.

The problem is that the files for French and Spanish don't include the strings: 

$string['view_error_no_group_student'] = 'You have not been erolled in a group. Please contact your Teacher or the Administrator.';
$string['view_error_no_group_teacher'] = 'There are no groups configured yet. Please set up groups or contact the Administrator.';
$string['view_error_no_group'] = 'There are no groups configured yet. Please set up groups before trying to join the meeting.';

This is because the implementation of groups came in a version later than the time we uploaded the translation files to myGengo.

MyGengo is not really good for our projects because there is no authomatic sync with the English source files. We are using this http://www.getlocalization.com/bigbluebutton_sakai/ for Sakai. The main advantage, besides the interface is that the projects can be linked to the GitHub source repos. So, if is there any change in the sources, the localization project is updated automatically.

I tried to setup a project for the Moodle modules but unfortunately the php arrays were not supported at that time. Perhaps we should give a try again.

In the mean time you could change this strings in your own file and if you dont mind, I would appreciate if you can send to me this three translated to French as well.

Thanks for your help again

Jesus Federico

Yes, i'm always right clown

You'll find french strings, Moodle ready :

$string['view_error_no_group_student'] = 'Vous n\'avez pas été inscrit dans un groupe. Veuillez contacter votre enseignant, ou l\'administrateur.';
$string['view_error_no_group_teacher'] = 'Il n\'y a pas de groupe configuré actuellement. Veuillez créer des groupes, ou contacter l\'administrateur.';
$string['view_error_no_group'] = 'Il n\'y a pas de groupe configuré actuellement. Veuillez créer des groupes avant d\'essayer de vous connecter à la conférence.';

I've seen you removed strings for Moodle plugins from MyGengo.

It would be nice to use AMOS, for Moodle plugins translation wink

Séverin

I have just added this translations to the new localization project that you can find at

http://www.getlocalization.com/bigbluebutton_moodle2x/

Notice that the myGengo projects have died.

As I explained before, there is a difference in the format getlocalization.com manage the php arrays and the way we use them in moodle. But because nothing is impossible in programming smile, I made an adjustment in the localization code in this two modules allowing the use of the files produced by getlocalization, keeping the same format.

Happily, that means that we can easyly syncronize the translations when we generate the distribution packages.

Now we only need volunteers helping in the translation of the files.

Hi,

I've seen that you just copied my (latest) translations in GetLocalization... but they where done in "Moodle format" (with an \ before '), so i've deleted the \ there, as it only need to be added when transforming the sentences in Moodle format (and not being shown to end user) !

MyGengo is still used for translation of BigBlueButton itself wink

About using AMOS for non standard plugins, you can look at this discussion smile

Thanks Severin,

We got the idea, in fact I tested AMOS the last week, but it is still easier for us to mantain everyting in one place. Specially for the integration with github and the direct access we have to the files when deploying the packages. 

By now we have the sakai and the moodle translation projects in getlocalization, we are going to put the drupal, wordpress and joomla in there and I am trying to convince Richard Alam to move the main project smile

Lets see if we include that option in the next version.

Cheers,

Jesus Federico

Yes, i understand your need to keep things centralised, and avoid using too much separated tools.

It's just that, from a Moodle (community) point of view, it would ease translations if available in AMOS wink

Do as you can...

Cheers,
Séverin Terrier

Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 - french translation problem

Hi Jesus,

I've just downloaded latest version of the 2.x BBB plugins, on one of my Moodle instance (2.2.2+), and i've got a problem : several sentences are not translated in french sad

And they are, in getlocalization !

For exemple: bbbduetimeoverstartingtime, mod_form_block_schedule or mod_form_field_welcome

In fact, i've seen that, in french bigbluebutton.php file, several fields are defined, but incorrectly named (latest "e" char is missing) : bbbduetimeoverstartingtim, mod_form_block_schedul or mod_form_field_welcom (are some exemples)

Hope you can correct this soon...

Thanks
Séverin

Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 - french translation problem

Also noticed that bbbnorecordings, well translated in getlocalization, as an error in Moodle "...actuallement..." (where it should be "...actuellement...") mixed

Picture of Sam De Francesco
Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 2.0/2.1 - group support.

First and foremost, I wanted to thank the developers at Blindside Networks for a great plugin.

I have been asked to evaluate moodle and bigbluebutton, I have a test environment setup and all seems to be working well. 

My question is in regards to the Groups feature in Moodle. As I understand it, groups can be used to split students enrolled in a course into different sections (in our case, we want to split student classroom sessions based their country and timezone).

It appears that the BBB plugin supports groups, but I'm not sure how this works in practice. What we would like to do is have different classroom sessions for different groups, such that each BBB session has its own start date and time. For example, the BBB session for Section 01 might start at 9am GMT, and the BBB session for Section 02 would start at 1pm GMT.

At the moment the plugin allows me to select different groups at the top via a dropdown menu however when I edit the BigBlueButtonBN activity, the class date and time is modified for *all* groups. I assumed that each group instance of the activity could be edited separately, such that each group has its own BBB session times, but it doesn't appear to be the case (of course each group would access their own recording as well).

Is it possible to achieve what I want? I don't have a lot of Moodle experience so I'm not sure if I'm approaching the problem in the correct manner, or perhaps I'm missing some fundamental concept.

By the way, I've been testing with Moodle 2.2 and the latest BBB plugin.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam.

Picture of Vicki Dunnam

Did someone at your organization install Big Blue Button?  We want to install at our institution and need some help. 

Hi Vicki,

You can find the documentation for installing bigBluebutton right here http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/08InstallationUbuntu

And perhaps you should try looking for help on this matter in the mailing list bigbluebutton-setup

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/bigbluebutton-setup

Hi Sam,

The implementation for groups doesn't work in that way, and the reason is that it fulfills the use case that was defined in collaboration with the Moodle users we were working with the last fall.

What it basically does is separating the attendance according to the group they belong to and it has been previously set up in Moodle. Even though all students are going to see the same activity.

Internally a different meeting room is created for each group. But at the end the recording would be public for all the students enrolled in the group. Because of this all the meeting will be created equal based on the settings of the activity.

The case you are propossing is a different one. Interesting, besides it will make the Plugin more complex, it would require some extra effort.

As soon we have access to the tracking system we can create an issue as a feature request. 

Picture of Tim Clements

Nice product; just having one problem.

When I try to do a full-screen recording (so I can open a web browser and do a real-time demo) all I get in the playback is the default window for slides.  I've selected Share My Desktop and picked Full Screen (and the thumbnail shows that), but the recording just has the default slide display (sound and everything else is fine).

Am I missing something?

Thanks...

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Tim,

This is the first relesae of BigBlueButton that has record and playback.  Rather than try to do everything in this release (and never ship), we focused on the core playback of slides + audio + chat.

We'll be adding more playback capabilites in future versions, but we wanted to focus on getting you something sooner than later.  For more information, see

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/ReleaseNotes

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer 

Picture of Tim Clements

Thanks for the quick response Fred; that was my hunch, and perfectly understandable.  I'll be looking forward to the future releases, as I think video of desktops will be the majority of the material we will post in our business environment (a law firm).

Tim

Picture of Aidan O'Donoghue

Hi I wwas wondering if anyone can help me. I installed moodle today (version 2.08) and I got the BBB from here (http://www.dualcode.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton_m2.zip)

The install went ok and i set up the BBB with the test server setting. Please seee image attached. However, when i create a conference and click on the 'moderator' or 'atendee' link the page just come backs to itself and nothing happens. Any ideas? I have attached the /bigbluebutton/ at the end of the url

I have attached my settings page from moodle

Hi,

Perhaps you should better try Bigbluebutton activity modules by Blindside Networks (BBB developers) wink

If your Moodle is new, i don't understand why you don't use Moodle 2.2.2 ?

Hope this helps
Séverin

Hi Aidan,

I had not seen your post but anyway it is probably in a wrong thread. We are the creators and supportes only of the BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingsBN modules, and this thread is related to them.

If you need to use the one written by dualcode, you should ask them for support. But as Severin sais, if you dont have preferences or restrictions, perhaps you should give a try to our integration smile http://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=2

Regards

Picture of Vicki Dunnam

We are very interested in installing Big Blue Button at our institution.. We have a Linux server.  Anyone interested in helping with the installation on consulting basis?  You all have done great things to improve the product. 

Please contact me at dunnam.vicki@mcm.edu if you are interested in helping. 

Hi Vicki,

Now I see what the problem can be. Well, you can try looking for commercial support with any of the recognized commercial supporters http://www.bigbluebutton.org/commercial-support/

Also you can find the most experienced people on bigbluebutton installation in the mailing list https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/bigbluebutton-setup there are a good numbers of deveopers and sys administrators registred who are willing to help on specific problems.

Picture of Alaa Salih

Hello Fred

nice work.

this plugin do great but i need to modify it to do couple of things:

1) send invitation to certain users in my current moodle installation. this invitation show as a message in user inbox. the message contain a link to page where user can accept the invitation or reject it.

2) entering the session is allowed only to users how accepted the invitation.

my question is how to implement that (ie in a new plugin or modify the bbb plugin).

and I don't know where or how to start.

thanks again.

Hi Alaa,

Your case looks very specific. We are trying to keep the module we are mantaining as simple and general as possible, so, perhaps the best option for you is to create your own version based on the one we have. At leas is what I would do.

You can fork our repo https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-mod_bigbluebutton

And you can find a lot of information in the official documentation. http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Developer_documentation?rdfrom=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.moodle.org%2F22%2Fen%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DDevelopment%26redirect%3Dno

Good luck!

I'm not sure how many users 

Picture of Matthew Frederickson

I've installed BBB on Ubuntu using the documentation online - seems to be ok.  I've run the check:

root@ubuntu:~# bbb-conf --check

BigBlueButton Server 0.8-beta-4 (951)                     Kernel version: 2.6.32-38-generic-pae                       Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS (32-bit)                             Memory: 4021 MB

/var/www/bigbluebutton/client/conf/config.xml (bbb-client)                 Port test (tunnel): 10.20.20.37                               Red5: 10.20.20.37

/etc/nginx/sites-available/bigbluebutton (nginx)                        server name: 10.20.20.37                               port: 80                     bbb-client dir: /var/www/bigbluebutton

/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties                                    (bbb-web)                       bbb-web host: 10.20.20.37

/var/lib/tomcat6/webapps/demo/bbb_api_conf.jsp (API demos)                            api url: 10.20.20.37

/usr/share/red5/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/red5-web.xml (red5)                   voice conference: FreeSWITCH

/usr/local/bigbluebutton/core/scripts/slides.yml (record and playback)                      playback host: 10.20.20.37

** Potential problems described below ** # Warning: The API demos are installed and accessible from: # #    http://10.20.20.37/ # # Use the API demos test your BigBlueButton setup. To remove # #    sudo apt-get purge bbb-demo

I added the two plugins into my Moodle server - version 2.4.1.  However, when I attempt to use BBB, I get the loading module icon and nothing happens.  See attached image.

I've been Googling this error for about two hours now, and tried several things, but it just doesn't seem to work.  I can ping the servers from each other, they are on the same network (physically as well - I stand in front of them and touch them both at the same time).

Where else should I be looking?

First question. Are you able to connect into meetings using the default server?

http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/

8cd8ef52e8e101574e400365b55e11a6

Picture of Matthew Frederickson

Myapologies all - just got this working - like five minutes ago.  I switched to the dual plugin and it works great.

Picture of roc mehra

Hi

My recording bn does not showing recording date in moodle

Picture of roc mehra

any solution for me

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Roc,

Hmmm ... this should work.  Can you give us some information to reproduce.  

What version of BigBlueButton are you using (see sudo bbb-conf --check) and what version of the RecordingsBN integration are you using (check info on activity plugins).

Regards,... Fred

Picture of roc mehra

What version of BigBlueButton are you using (see sudo bbb-conf --check)

BigBlueButton Server 0.8-beta-4 (951)

what version of the RecordingsBN

I have used the plugin from following link

http://www.blindsidenetworks.com/integrations/moodle/

BigBlueButtonBN Moodle 2.x Activity Module (record and playback)

S'envoyer en l'air

Hi all,

I have 2 servers. One is Moodle and the another one is BigBlueButton.

Both of them are on the cloud.

When i want to see a recorded session, it's give me a private IP address when i click on a session !!

If i try bbb-record --check, it's give me :

"# The hostname in <link> .. </link> (192.168.0.166)
#     /var/bigbluebutton/published/presentation/baad1a042847ee57103712d1912df42bb8596f8f-1388964734743/metadata.xml
# do not match the hostname for bigbluebutton.web.serverURL (37.x.x.x)
#     /usr/share/red5/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/bigbluebutton.properties"

I edit the script bigbluebutton.properties but i don't know what to do ?

Do you have any ideas ?

thank you.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Anthony,

Did you by chance make custom changes to the BigBlueButton client and deploy your own version of it to the server?  

It looks like you might not have properly configured the development version.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer

S'envoyer en l'air

Thank you for your support.

No, I use the third party plugin I found on the Moodle Website.

Here is a screenshot from my web server :

But I can't configure the recordingbn plugin

Picture of Jeff Lariscy

Greetings and thank you for this wonderful software!  I am working to understand the APIs and the full functionality of the application. This is awesome. To make it easier for my associates, I was going to integrate it with Moodle.  My original Moodle server was not up to the challenge and I downloaded a TurnKey Moodle virtual machine that runs Moodle v2.4.6+ (Build:  20131011). I have integrated both modules, but the recordings never show up.  I watched the video and noticed that there is an "end" option that is demonstrated in the video.  I cannot find this option on my activity and think that is why the recordings are never showing up, because the webinar is never ending.

Can you point me in the right direction to find out how to end the webinar through Moodle?

Thanks,

Jeff Lariscy

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Jeff,

> I watched the video and noticed that there is an"end" option that is demonstrated in the video

You'll see the end button if you set BigBlueButton to launch within the current window (not in a new window).

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Jeff Lariscy

Thank you, Fred!  I found that the end button is now avaialble through the process you described.  I am still, however, unable to get the recordingsBN to show recordings.  I think this may be a problem on the BBB server as we look at the recordings, the "Processed" column and the "Published" column are both empty.  There are numerous meetings with indicators in the "APVD", "APVDE", "RAS", and "Slides" columns.  Any suggestions here?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff