Databases: Moodle 2.x - SQL UPDATE Query with JOIN - Best Approach

Databases: Moodle 2.x - SQL UPDATE Query with JOIN - Best Approach

by Martin Holden -
Number of replies: 2

Hi everyone

After some advice on best approach for cross database support of my requirement here of a executing a SQL query to update one table using data from a joined table.

Specifics
I have a data set that is imported from another system that contains information I want to import into Moodle custom module approximately 200,000 rows.

This external data for simple definition contains two pieces of info USERNAME and SCORE, and has been imported into a new custom table in moodle. This table also contains a column USERID which is NULL by default. The imported USERNAME will match the moodle username BUT there will be records here without an equivalent moodle user account.

I want to update this USERID column in this table to the moodle user id from user table, before I then continue processing the imported data.

Issue with my current solution
For maximum cross db support I currently loop through each record in this external data and use $DB->get_record() to get the user account from mdl_user where username matches then do a $DB->update_record() on my data.

Whilst this metjhod works and is cross DB compatable, performance is attrrocious as I am doing potentially 400,000 DB queries (one for each query of user and one for each update).

Better Solution and where my issue begins
A better solution is to do a SQL update of the external data with a JOIN to users - fast and efficient. The issue is the differing syntax for databases for example:

MYSQL
UPDATE mdl_report_results
JOIN mdl_user ON (mdl_report_results.loginname = mdl_user.username)
SET mdl_report_results.userid = mdl_user.id

Microsoft SQL Server
UPDATE mdl_report_results
SET mdl_report_results.userid = mdl_user.id
FROM mdl_report_results 
JOIN mdl_user ON (mdl_report_results.loginname = mdl_user.username)

I dont really want to add different SQL code for each DB so anyone any thoughts on a better approach or best practice?

Thanks

Martin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Holden

Re: Databases: Moodle 2.x - SQL UPDATE Query with JOIN - Best Approach

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Brief reply from Eloy in another channel that I will copy-and-paste here in case it helps:

(11:31:27 AM) Eloy: I'd say both "update from" and "update join" are evil. "update set select" is the only cross-db way IMO. not bad for only 1 column, horrible for multiple. Just if all DBs supported the MERGE statement, grrr.
(11:33:45 AM) Eloy: So I'd do:

UPDATE xxx SET x = (SELECT y FROM yyyy WHERE yyy.y = xxx.y)
WHERE EXISTS (SELECT y FROM yyyy WHERE yyy.y = xxx.y)

(or so)
(11:47:35 AM) Eloy: see build_context_path() for a current example, lol