How to have time limit for each question?

How to have time limit for each question?

by Jo Moodle -
Number of replies: 4

Is it possible to have time limit for each question?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jo Moodle

Re: How to have time limit for each question?

by Lev Abramov -

The easiest way would be to create as many individual one-question quizzes as you need and set a timer individually for each one. A headache for the users - but easy to apply for the course creator.

Any other solution would be much more labor-intensive, I think.

And while we are at it; why would you need that sort of micromanagement? Why not group your questions into batches of, say, five - and set a time for this batch based on your projection of reasonable time required to answer these five questions?

The more conditions, restrictions and limitations we impose on the learner-system interaction, the less user-friendly the environment becomes, I'm afraid. The KISS principle was still valid last time I checked smile

In reply to Lev Abramov

by Jo Moodle -

Could quizzes be randomly organized (from the student point of vue)?

Rapid reaction is a skill to learn too, so time limit could help. Some questions need more time than others.

Time limit could also be used to automaticaly switch from one description question to the following description question in order to have memory exercices (as with students with diseases).

In reply to Jo Moodle

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This feature does not exist in the quiz. It might be possible to add it one day, but I don't know of anyone who wants it badly enough to make it happen.

There is the third-party 'flashcard' module, that is probalby worth taking a look at. (I must admit, I have never got around to trying it myself.)

I am more interested in the type of quiz that tried to promote deep thought, rather than speed. I can see that in some situations, speed is appropriate (and could be quite fun) but I wonder if it would be better served by a separate activity, like flashcard.

In reply to Jo Moodle

by Lev Abramov -

randomly organized quizzes? I guess not.

What you can do, I think, is the following:

- put all the questions in ONE quiz;

- set pagination to "one question per page"

- in the quiz intro, explain that they have X minutes to answer Y questions;

- in each question, mention the recommended time the user should spend on it.

They will then have to spread and plan the time so as to catch up with the time limit, and will see one question at a time. This is the closest I can think of to what you ideally need.

If you provide more details, maybe the community members can suggest other workarounds.

Best -

Lev