Moodle 2.1+ Server Requirement?

Moodle 2.1+ Server Requirement?

by Ya Borin -
Number of replies: 1

Dear all developer,

Now my university start to use Moodle 2.1+ to support around 300 students per semester to take the courses.

I want to know what kind of server requirement should we prepared before hand?

I have a quote of server specification bellow:

- 64 bit system

Dell PowerEdge 2950 III

• Dual Quad Core 2.83Ghz, E5440
  • 16GB memory (4 x 4GB) Samsung
  • 4 x 300GB 15k SAS Seagate Chetah hard drives. Part # ST3300555SS
  • 2 x 146GB 15k SAS Fujitsu Model # MBA3147RC
  • Perc 6/i Raid controller
  • Dual redundant 750W power

------------------------------

----------------

DELL POWEREDGE 2950

TWO XEON 5160 DUAL CORE 3.0GHZ CPU'S W. 4MB CACHE

16GB FBDIMM RAM

6 x 500GB SATA HDD

PERC 5i ARRAY CONTROLLER

DUAL 10/100/1000 ETHERNET

DUAL POWER SUPPLIES
Anyone can help me?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ya Borin

Re: Moodle 2.1+ Server Requirement?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Didn't you check the hints given in the introduction to this forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596 ? This is a common question, you can find similar discussions through "'Using Moodle' advanced search facility" mentioned there.

Back to your question: Both machines are over kill at first glance, if you have 300 students enrolled and just starting Moodle.

Unless all 300 have to go through an online test at the same time and/or most of the usage is in campus, which is a contradiction anyway, I would go for an external hosting. Due to the large numbers a machine at a professional hosting service costs less than buying and maintaining a single server. And big hosters have tools you can access 24 h in case something breaks down. Just two days ago I witnessed an online test cancelled because the "IT" was not available during the weekend.
sad

From the numbers you mention, you can even start with a VPS and shift to a dedicated server if the need arises.