New email processing feature

New email processing feature

by Martín Langhoff -
Number of replies: 3

There is a (new! exciting!) feature for 1.5 that gives us email bounce handling so that users with bad email addresses are forced to change them, and opens the door for integrating new stuff like mail-to-forums interfaces.

The code is in HEAD now, and I've written instructions on how to configure your email server (MTA) to hook into the new functionality. We are looking for testers keen on trying the new code and helping is make the setup instructions better.

You need * a unix-y OS (MacOSX, Linux, Solaris, etc) * a reasonable understanding of your MTA * root access

More info in the Wiki and in the thread in the dev forum.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martín Langhoff

Re: New email processing feature

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Phew! Awesome guys, thanks.

Once we have a beta sorted (next week I hope) I'll certainly get it set up on a few sites for testing (maybe even moodle.org!)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Martín Langhoff -
Penny gets the credit for the cool code, as usual. I'm the grumpy guy who points out the gotchas in RFCs and oddities in various email servers.

A word of caution here. This is based on similar code that we have running in production with high volume sites (and we therefore trust). But it is _different_ code, in particular all newfangled message digest authentication.

We've tested it quite a bit, but it depends a lot on the behaviour of external MTAs (all VERP solutions do). We haven't had a chance to test it with a wide userbase -- users using different MUAs and MTAs.

So tread with care and let us know of any gotchas smile

Hmmm. I was thinking whether we should setup a 1.5 for testing this or perhaps you're thinking of using test.moodle.org?
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Penny Leach -
Martin isn't giving himself enough credit wink .... and he's only grumpy when I play foozball better than him smile