Problem with double blocks in Moodle 2

Problem with double blocks in Moodle 2

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When setting up a new course, I get double instances of the blocks Latest news, Upcoming events and Search forums. Also, I do not want the Recent activities block.

I have been searching for a solution in the moodle forums, but cannot find anything that helps me with this.

I'm using Moodle 2.0.3+ (Build: 20110518)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Problem with double blocks in Moodle 2

by Stuart Mealor -

Hello Peter

It might be the case that you have Sticky Blocks set at a site level.
e.g. Latest News, Upcoming Events, and Search Forums in your case.

When you create a new Course, these Blocks are added again.

You could remove the Course level Blocks (but you would probably encounter the same issue again when adding a new Course).  So, I would be tempted to ensure you haven't got the Site Level Blocks switch on - which will leave you with the Blocks as added to a new Course.

If you want to remove the Recent Activities Block you can just Switch Editing On and click on the X icon in the Block header to remove it.

Stu

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Peter Diedrichs -

Hi Stuart!

I suspect that "Site level blocks" is the problem - but I cannot find where to set this!

by Peter Diedrichs -

Is there an administartion area for "site level blocks"?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Peter,

An administrator can set which blocks appear on everyone's My Moodle page and profile page in Settings > Site administration > Appearance Default My Moodle page / Default profile page. They can set which blocks appear on every course page by going to the site front page, turning editing on, adding the desired blocks then editing them and setting the page context to display throughout the entire site. This may be the reason why some blocks are appearing twice.

Another thing you could check is the default block layout for new courses which can be set in your config.php file. Please see the documentation Block layout for more details.