Course converter

Re: Course converter

by Alex Walker -
Number of replies: 0

You want to archive the courses, not export. You can switch off 'Export grade centre history' as well.

As for my converter, I'll be searching through my backups to see if I still have it. It worked really well for about 98% of couses. For the other 2%, it gave a 'Could not adjust instances in course_modules' error. In the moodle.xml file, there's a lot of ID numbers that have to match up: in the actual modules present in your course, then when they appear in topics/sections.

I do have my iMacros scripts still. Since I wrote them on college time, the college technically owns those, not me. I'll see if I can get permission to release them. They work perfectly except when there are site-wide question banks in the Moodle 1.9 backups. In this case, Moodle pops up an extra confirmation screen that says 'These banks will be converted to course question banks'. My script doesn't pick up this extra screen, and moves on to the next course. It would be an easy change to make, but I've had to move on to other projects and not fix it.

We didn't convert quizzes ourselves. There were just too many places where things could go wrong, and the last thing we wanted was to import quizzes and then find they were broken. We used a tool called Respondus to bring our quizzes across. There's a 30 day trial available, and my department ended up buying it because it's quite useful.