Funding New Features and Modules

Funding New Features and Modules

by r robbie -
Number of replies: 3

Expanding on John's idea...

Martin, would it be possible to create a set of virtual collection boxes where we can paypal a donation towards specific new features? This way, collectively, those needing specific features can help share the financial burden. These collection boxes should also be updated as to the amount contributed so that we can follow the financial progress.

There seem to be a lot of sites using Moodle. If we provide a system where people can contribute to a specific area that they need, we may be able to fund new stuff a lot quicker than waiting for one person or institution that has enough money.

Robbie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to r robbie

Re: Funding New Features and Modules

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, a system like this is an excellent idea. I was actually thinking of something like this already for moodle.com, automated with an integrated Paypal backend, although managing it manually would be feasible in the short-term.

One problem with this is that a few people might donate towards a feature but the target is never achieved, so what happens to the money?

I've heard of another method which might get around this - basically "pledges" are collected up until the figure is reached, then the payments are called in. This version here (called the Rational Street Performer Protocol) is particularly interesting as a way of implementing this: http://advogato.org/article/580.html (also see this great paper about Blender's success: http://www.blender.org/modules/bc2002/Neus-Blender-SPP.pdf although it does place some doubt on the conversion of pledges)

Of course, lump-sum payments toward whole features are much easier for me to deal with personally but if the bug tracker were somehow connected up with an RSPP then it might be a great system for managing any number of developers, features and funders. thoughtful
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by John Gone -
Nice to see a discussion about funding taking place. My 2C: Martin, can you make a quiz available that would allow Moodlers to choose possible development directions, ones that are contingent on adequate funding, and then let us know where the funding stands. If we have made a contribution to an obvious dead-end then we could request our contribution be applied to another more popular choice. This may also encourage contributions as we could observe progress, or lack of, and respond accordingly. The idea with the quiz is that we use a tool already available in Moodle smile Just my 2C
John
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by John Gone -
Hi Martin,
I just visited the pages you've referenced, interesting reading. Recommended for anyone interested in this thread.