Forum deleted by accident

Forum deleted by accident

by Zélia Ribeiro -
Number of replies: 10

Hello!

A Moodle user with admin privileges deleted a forum on the Moodle front page. The page doesn't have backups.

Is it possible to recover the information deleted by accident?

Many thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zélia Ribeiro

Re: Forum deleted by accident

by Ann Adamcik -

Are you doing site backups or database backups? If so, you could restore to another location and retrieve the deleted forum that way.

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Zélia Ribeiro -

Thanks for your response.

I looked at "Reports/Backups" in the site administration menu and it says that "Scheduled backups haven't been enabled by the site admin"

I don't know how to acess database backups. I don't have acess to the server. How could I find the database backups?

Thanks again!

by Ann Adamcik -

You'd have to contact whomever manages your server to find out what (if any) system backups are available.

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Zélia Ribeiro -

Dear Ann Adamcik

At the moment it's not possible to contact the responsible for the server, he is not present, he is away.

But thanks anyway!

by Gary Sutcliff -

First check to see if there is an automatic back up being done. If so, then you are probably fully recovered.

If not:I wonder if it may help that  I deleted a web site, effectively a forum, and then found a log file of all the action on that file. I was able to use my database experience to filter the file and sort it to recover about 98% of the work.  It had about 45 pages in it.  the log showed each correction or update that was made on it and had a copy of the page.  All I had to do was look for the latest revision of each page and restore it. Tedious but better than trying to remember all that beeutiful work that went off into bitland...

Moodle may or may not have such a log file.

Not expecting that you should understand what I just said (-: but there may be hope. See if you can find a log or activity file and maybe I can help you from there.

In reply to Gary Sutcliff

by Zélia Ribeiro -

Dear Steve Ambrosini

Thanks for your response.

I think there are no automatic backups being done, because I looked at "Reports/Backups" in the site administration menu and it says that "Scheduled backups haven't been enabled by the site admin"

About the log file, I went to "Reports/Logs" and I send you two images of what I found. Image 2 is the event that should not have hapened - deleting the forum...

Do you still thing there may be hope?

Attachment 1.jpg

by Gary Sutcliff -

What you sent was a bit foggy but it looks like it is too local for the log file you  want. Can you copy/paste the list into a text doc?

Are you trying to recover the structure of the forum or the data?  My method of recovery would not have given me back any data or what the users entered. It only gave me back what I, as an administrator, designed.

I am going through the files to see which filenames I used.  I believe that I only stumbled onto them accidentally.  When I first saw what I had, I nearly wet my pants in disbelief (-: When I recognise the file name I will post it.

Your list of files look llike they are local.  Are they from the main server where the entire structure is contained? Mine were on two servers, one local and the other remote.  My recovery was from the remote system and that is where I accidentlally deleted mine. This may depend on what your access level you have.

If you seek the data, then I doubt anything will help. When I find teh file nae, I will post it.

In reply to Gary Sutcliff

by Zélia Ribeiro -

Many thanks Steve, even if I can´t recover the forum I thank you for all your effort.

Actualy I'm trying to recover the data (what was writen on the messages of the forum and the documents posted there).

I don´t have access to the server at the moment because the person that manages it is away and not reachable. Nevertheless I send you the log file in excel, that I was able to take from the moodle platform in the administrator menu.

by Gary Sutcliff -

Data, for my database, is not recoverable, only structure.  I sent out a note to my DB cohorts to see if they have any ideas. I will send ideas if they surface.