Moving to Perth

Moving to Perth

by Bassam Sheikh -
Number of replies: 5

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine is moving to Perth From Houston Texas, he is a PMP with extensive experience in Oil and Gas industry. Any advice on how to find a place to live to setteling down would be great.

Because of the Moodle HQ connection in Perth I though i'll just ask around here.

Regards,

Bassam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bassam Sheikh

Re: Moving to Perth

by Andrew Davis -

Perth is a very beautiful city although it can be a little quiet.

realestate.com.au is a good place to start looking for places to live.

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If your friend is as concerned about raising children as I am, I would recommend looking at school rankings (primary or high) and look for rent in their catchment areas. But it usually appears that the schools with highest ranks are in the most expensive suburbs.

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Bassam.

My name is Michael. I've recently moved to Perth from the other side of Australia.

Check out realestate.com.au for rentals and properties to buy; it's a useful guide to prices and areas. I found the rental market harder to get into here than in eastern states. Real estate agents want you to play on their terms in the rental market. The sales market looks a little more open, but as a lot of people are moving into Perth, prices are relatively high.

Like most cities, the closer you live to the CBD, the more expensive housing is. In terms of geography, Perth is divided by the Swan river. North of the city is more established and includes the more expensive suburbs. South is newer and a bit cheaper. Avoid going too far east. The CBD is purely a business area with not much housing right in town.

The public transport system is clean, efficient and inexpensive. Trains and busses are well coordinated and the RFID tagging system used is convenient.

Hope that helps.

Michael;

P.S. Look out for the drop-bears.

In reply to Michael de Raadt

by Bassam Sheikh -

Thanks Guys,

I think the schooling thing is an important factor.

Micheal, when you first moved did you room share or had a relative or friend ?? I think that his main concern at the moment can you suggest something on those lines are there any hostels or something I askde him to look around the universities areas there might be people looking for a roomamte for a while till he decides on where to rent and than move the family there.

regards,

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There is a great billboard perth.gumtree.com.au. You can find anything there - room to share, used furniture, babysitter, handyman and so on. There are also some backpackers hotels in Perth. But be prepared that any accomodation in Perth is MUCH more expensive than in US