HEADS UP: Dataform module for Moodle 2.1 is alpha released

HEADS UP: Dataform module for Moodle 2.1 is alpha released

by Itamar Tzadok -
Number of replies: 10

Moodle plugins: http://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=mod_dataform

This first release is likely to be fairly unstable but work continues and stability should imporve shortly. Also not everything works. Backup and restore seems to work but is still partial so the release is definitely not recommended for real data.

The dataform is meant to offer everything the database activity does and much more. This release however is fairly thin since it is focued on a photo gallery application and I removed many elements (field and view types) which are not complete yet.

Fields

Currently there are 8. The familiar text, textarea, file and picture, but also _entry, _approve, _time and _user. The latter four are internal fields which allow using entry and user info in the templates and views, search, import, export etc. All the other standard field types as well as some new field types will return in future releases. Not yet in this release but very likely in the next one is the option to apply rules to entry fields in edit mode (e.g. required field, numeric input etc.)

Views

Currently there are 4 view types. Simple and advance are sort of structurally equivalent to the database's single and list templates. But they are not single and many as the database templates (the number of entries per page can be set for every view instance). The simple view has one template area. The advance view has three ("list header", repeated entry, "list footer"). The tabular view renders the entries in a table. The ui if this view is yet to be simplified. the fancybox view, is a designated view for galleries (photo or otherwise) and uses fancybox for js effects. Future views include yui based charts, book, interval (together with a dataform block) and others.

There are so many new options which I can't mention here and now but will go into some docs in an orderly manner. You are welcome to try the module. Any feedback would be appreciated. If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: HEADS UP: Dataform module for Moodle 2.1 is alpha released

by Frank Sainsbury -

Murphy has struck, I get:

You do not have permission to view this plugin

More information about this error

even when logged in.

In reply to Frank Sainsbury

by Josh Davis -

I'm also having problems getting it.  I can see the page for it, but the "Download Versions" box is empty.

In reply to Josh Davis

by Itamar Tzadok -

The latest version of the dataform should be available at: https://github.com/itamart/moodle-mod_dataform. There is not much of description for this version as it is quite late and I just wanted to get it out so that you could try it.

Installation:

• download the master branch
  • extract under the mod directory in your moodle (test/dev) installation
  • rename the extracted folder to dataform
  • make sure permissions are set correctly (755) 
  • and go to admin notification to install

This version adds on the previous (missing) one a few more field types, and an improvement of the tabular view to the effect that aligning entries in a table may be done by simply drawing a table with a header row and an entry row. Nothing of all that has been tested thoroughly so awaiting your feedback. Note that the copyrights notices on the dataform code grant the rights to Moodle contributors in general so as to acknowledge every bit of contribution, code, idea or request, that made and will continue to make this module possible.

Let me know if there is any problem and have fun. smile

by Josh Davis -

I got it installed and have been playing around with it.  I think it has some great potential.  I haven't been able to get the fancybox view to work nor have I been able to get it to zoom in yet.  Not sure if that is because it isn't implemented yet or what.  It took me a while to figure out how to get started, but I am having fun with it now.  Thanks for your hard work!  Looking forward to watching this mod progress!

In reply to Josh Davis

by Itamar Tzadok -

Does it show the images you uploaded?

Just as a reminder, you need to add one picture field named Image with thumbnail dimensions set to some dimensions (e.g. 100x100), and a fancybox view with default settings. smile

by Itamar Tzadok -

Btw, I see now that the setting for display dimensions (the field set with unit selection) is mislabeled. Will be fixed for the next release. smile

by Josh Davis -

Got it working!  I made a new one and followed your suggestions and it worked great.  Not sure why it didn't work on the first one.  I went in and made another fancybox view on it and now it works, too.

by Itamar Tzadok -

The next version (1.0.3), expected in the next couple of days, will feature an interval view type and will be accompanied by a dataform block. The interval view type allows for setting an interval (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or custom) for refreshing the displayed content of the view. So for instance, this view type may be used for displaying a daily tip. The selection of the displayed content may be set as first, next or random. With the dataform block, this content (or the content of any other view for that matter) can be populated to the course page. In the following illustration the dataform block displays a dataform which is set as an image repository. The particular view is of type interval, set to display the next image in the list, and refreshes every minute. While the image doesn't show that, the block actually refreshes itself every 1 minute. smile

by Itamar Tzadok -

An interesting effect of the current implementation of the block is with the fancybox  view. The middle block in the  illustration is set to show a fancy box view which is set to start the fancybox effect on load. The fancybox effect is confined to the block but otherwise offers all the effects so the user can mouse scroll on the images in the block to see what's there. smile