Voice clip based answers

Voice clip based answers

Nathaniel Peek -
Колькасьць адказаў: 15

Hi,

I need to know if I can use voice based answers in the quizz module.  Click on a voice clip icon to hear and then a tick box to answer?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Сярэдняе рэйтынгаў: -
У адказ на Nathaniel Peek

Re: Voice clip based answers

Joseph Rézeau -
Выява Core developers Выява Particularly helpful Moodlers Выява Plugin developers Выява Testers Выява Translators

Hi Nathaniel,

By "voice clip based answers" do you mean that the student would record their own voice in answer to an audio clip?

Joseph

У адказ на Joseph Rézeau

Nathaniel Peek -

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for getting back to me.  I would like to be able to offer multiple choice answers that are already pre recorded, so a mp3 for each option.  Users then click on the answer they would like to use.  The reason why I am using this is that we are dealing with people who have issues with reading English and they don't have a written language of their own.

Cheers

Nathaniel

Joseph Rézeau -
Выява Core developers Выява Particularly helpful Moodlers Выява Plugin developers Выява Testers Выява Translators

OK, so you do not want the students to record their own voice, only to be able to listen to a prompt message and then to select one audio clip from a multiple choice question?

Which version of Moodle are you using: 1.9.x or 2.x.x?

Joseph

PS Attached screenshot of what it might look like (in moodle 1.9).

Укладаньне 01-09-2011 14-17-59.jpg
У адказ на Joseph Rézeau

Nathaniel Peek -

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for getting back to me once again.  Yes you have it right, the students don't need to record their voice just listen to the choices playback.  Also the question will be given by animation and narrated character in a video clip, very short just 5 - 10 seconds long.

Currently I am using version 1.9.10 for this project, should I be looking at upgrading higher?

Your attached images is exactly what I am looking at doing, with addition to each choice also having a small text description probably in English for the assistant. 

Thank you once again for your help.

Nathaniel

Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Nathaniel, here's how you can do it in Moodle 1.9, see attached screenshot step-by-step.

When editing your MCQ question, to insert a link to an audio file (MP3) which will automatically generate the small moodle MP3 flash player, the solution I use is to (1) and (2) insert that link in the Feedback window, because that window has an HTML editor, then copy-paste the HTML code (3) and (4) to the Choice box, and finally delete the link from the Feedback's HTML box.

1. In the Feedback window, type any word, e.g. audio and select it
  2. Click on the Insert Web link button
  3. Locate the audio MP3 file in your Course files and insert it
  4. Now, In the Feedback window, click on the Toggle HTML Source button
  5. Copy the whole contents of the link to the MP3 file
  6. Paste that link address to your Choice Answer box
  7. Remember to delete the MP3 address from the Feedback box

Repeat for each Choice of your Multiple Choice question. If you want to display some text as well as the MP3 player in your MCQ question choices, you'll have to type it in the Answer window, where, unfortunately, the space is very limited. You may want to type everything, i.e. text and MP3 link in the Feedback window first, then Toggle HTML Source and copy the whole lot to your Answer small box.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

Укладаньне 02-09-2011 09-32-50.jpg

Bob Puffer -

Somewhat aside, but more to what Tim's talking about -- be on the lookout for "Language Learning Lesson and Assignment" from Carleton College, USA.  CLAMP was gratified to see a full-featured demonstration of these modules last week and a number of CLAMP schools will be going production with the product this term even though a few minor bugs still exist.

У адказ на Bob Puffer

Matt Bury -
Выява Plugin developers

For learners to submit their own recordings, I've been using the NanoGong assignment type for the Assignment module without problems for a couple of years: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=2882

A more flexible but also technically more problematic way is to use the file submission assignment type which is standard in Moodle 1.9.

I hope this helps! усьмешка

У адказ на Matt Bury

Nathaniel Peek -

Hi Matt,

Yes I have seen NanoGong working and it is very impressive just not what I am looking for.  I need the multiple choice options to contain pre recorded voice clips that the student clicks to hear and then makes a choice related to their answer.

However I may look at using NanoGong in the future for a more robust way of training.  There are many issues I am trying to sort out with the users having very little to no English, very little to no computer skills and an overall lack of confidence so it is a tough project.  Having said that though if all goes to plan it could be a real game chager, fingers crossed.

Cheers

Nathaniel

Pierre Pichet -

"multiple choice options to contain pre recorded voice clips"

Do you want to put the recorded voice clips in the question text or as answers  choices ?

Pierre

У адказ на Pierre Pichet

Joseph Rézeau -

@Pierre: see Nathaniel Peek's message above, dated - Thursday, 1 September 2011, 11:37 PM.