Admin time required for simple Moodle Site vs. Quia

Re: Admin time required for simple Moodle Site vs. Quia

by Josh L -
Number of replies: 0

Thank you Visvanath, I think you see exactly what i mean, let me just clarify

for now, forget Quia, dont worry, im not looking for someone with experience with this product, i was just trying to paint a picture of where i am coming from, and what i am looking for.

>So currently Quia is used only as a quiz engine? And Moodle should do the same, if chosen?

Yes, I want Moodle to ONLY be a quiz engine.

>Cost savings in hosting (external) or in maintaining (internal)?

we are considering both, but i know my external costs, and i can find those online, i am simply asking you moodle users for someone with experience who can tell me the time it takes to set up Moodle as a simple Quiz engine (Internal cost)

> Also do not neglect the work required to convert the present quizzes to Moodle format.

This is not a concern for us, we are starting from the begining, and time spent by teachers is left up to their disgression, and their budget, we're only concerned about admin time required.

>How about security, backup, user managemnet?

Exactly, these are tasks i did not need to perform before, All i did was set up the site and do a little bit of user management.
So you're telling me that security and backup are tasks required for moodle, correct? what kind of time commitment does this require?

>Depends on the terms and conditions of the hosting agreement.

Please elaborate. why would hosting change the amount of maintenance time required? are their any hosts that are more troublesome than others?

>Without know the number of quizzes and how they are divided amoung the teachers?

Luckily we are not concerned with time spent by teachers or the amount of quizzes.

We are only concerned with what time would be required to set up the site or "quiz engine" as you mentioned. just a blank Moodle site with no content

>Why don't you run a test site? Moodle is free. You might need to contact the teachers who create and maintain the quizzes.

I am planning on doing this as soon as i get approval from management, i just need to give theme an accurate time estimate of how long it will take me to build a simple quiz engine

>That's a hard question: for one it is about "cost effective for us" and in comparison to a product I don't know, sorry!

Dont worry! Cost effective is for me to decide, I will make the comparison. I just want to know from an experienced moodle user like you, how long it takes for a simple set up like i described

thanks so much for your help Visvanath, does that simplify my question a bit?

Anyone else have a good time estimate for setting up and maintaining a simple quiz site with moodle (JUST the site to run the quizzes, NOT the time needed to make the content or quizzes)

Thanks everyone