New Question Type in Moodle Quiz

New Question Type in Moodle Quiz

by Shantanu Sikdar -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,
I need to create a new question type, called "Linked MCQ Questions" in Moodle. 

Linked questions come in pairs of 2 where the answer to the second question of the pair will depend on the answer to the first question of the pair. (This is just for your understanding, and will not influence the programming.)

If the first question in the linked pair is wrongly answered or is un-attempted, then the answer to the second question in the pair will not be evaluated. 

There will be negative marks only for wrong answer to the first question of the linked answer question pair. 

The linked question may be preceded by a vignette(a piece of data/text common to both the questions - something like Reading Comprehension format) 

I should be able to key in from the admin panel the marks for each question, and also the negative marks percentage for wrong attempts.

Is there any mod/plugin that serves the same purpose? If yes, can someone point me to the right URL?

Thanks
Shan

PS: I am using Moodle 2.0.3

PPS: I put it up as a Moodle Job in this site, but I thought it makes sense to ask the community if any of-the-shelf solution is available. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shantanu Sikdar

Re: New Question Type in Moodle Quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The lesson module lets you like questions, but not necessarily in pairs.

It would be tricky to do what you want in the quiz, because quiz questions are meant to be independent.

It would be interesting to see an actual example of one of your pairs of questions.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Shantanu Sikdar -

Hi Tim, 

The paired format is a very uncommon format and I know of only one university admission test, GATE, that uses questions of this format. 

You may view the example of linked question given by the official conducting body here.

Regards

Shan

http://gate.iitd.ac.in/GATE/qtypes.php#linkans 

In reply to Shantanu Sikdar

by Purnendu Dash -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Shan,

For this you can make one "mod" that will allow you

1) To link between two question, i.e., if you want to link with Q20 with Q34 then the screen will allow you to make this assignment.

2) The assignment will store into your custom table

3) Now you have to modify the quiz submission module accoring to your need.

For this you have to consult with a developer who can able to do this mod for you.

Thanks

Dual Cube

In reply to Purnendu Dash

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Sorry Dual Cube,

but I think this is a really bad, bad way to do things.

The right way is to create a new question type, certainly not to modify the quiz module.

Patching a core module will create a change very difficult if not impossible to maintain in the future !

Always use plugins when you can rather than modifying core code.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Tim and Pierre,

Wouldn't it be possible to create a new type of question based on cloze but with a different marking scheme ? Of course there is still the problem of inputing the data for marking. I don't know cloze enought to answer these questions.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, there may be no problem. While the questions are linked, isn't it just a matter of creating two separate Moodle questions and adding them (perhpas with a preceding description) on the same page of the quiz. While the questions are linked in the subject of what the question is about, they don't seem to be linked in any functional way. Or have I got it wrong?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Tim,

The problem is the bit of information :

If the first question in the linked pair is wrongly answered or is un-attempted, then the answer to the second question in the pair will not be evaluated.

So yes the questions are linked for marking.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Purnendu Dash -
Picture of Plugin developers

Tim,

There are two multiple choice questions only, the differenece is only the linking, so is it necessary to introduce a new question type, is there any way so that we can only link two questions of the existing question types.

Thannks

Dual Cube