Hi folks, the below list is a tentative set of issues we've identified for making it easier to manage large numbers of courses in Moodle.
Things to do (Moodle Enterprise):
1) Admin Dashboard/Enterprise Management Screen
This screen will show the below (its for admins only): the main thing here is to make one screen where common (for us) admin tasks can be done
- Search for courses by userid/courseid/course name keywords: pulls up list of course ids/short names, course link to courses (new window), gray for unavailable/blue for available
- CRNs (course ids), show short name, hot link to course, show number of students enrolled, check box for each.
- With selected: Check box adds option to change category of selected courses, change availability, duplicate course and dump user data, backup and delete
- Search/edit user from EM screen (this could just pop-up the current search users link)
- Set time to clear students from db (like longtimenosee, but it clears the userid (via cron.php) not just the enrollment. Put field to set longtimenosee (auto-unenroll days) here.
2) Automatic course set up form-sort of a course wizard for teachers to self-service course set-ups (put behind LDAP or Moodle authentication):
- Screen 1: teacher puts in CRN (course id), Course Name, short name faculty name + email
- Screen 2: choose template (weekly or topics orchoose from set of backed up 'templates' in site files directory templates folder-radio button to check one, with place to explain each), course active or no, cross listed course ids (say 3 fields), option to put crosslisted courses in different groups automatically. Comments. (note that 'cross listing' might be handled by the new metacourse feature, in this case the 'cross-list' would set up a metacourse with the x sub courses--it might not work though, as cross-listed courses here are really just the same course,
- Form submit sets up course, sends to "thanks" page says check your email for login instructions, then button à go to course,
- Sends admin email with comments (optional), sends faculty email with login instructions.
3) Nav bar needs to pull weeks from weekly format as topic titles automatically.
4) Courseprogram needs to be over-rideable from eye tool.
6) Import tool: Rework the Blackboard 5.5 php converter to work with BB 6 (note that SFSU hopes to have a beta of their tool working by Feb?).
7) Auto login as guest as a course format setting (this enables us to do faculty home pages, etc. via Moodle).
8) Auto message to user if x failed logins failed login sends to help screen after 3 failed attempts on a single IP-or re-direct to new help screen with detailed instructions (this might be done just with a lang file based link to a help screen).
Some of these may already be built-in and I just haven't figured them out yet, or some may be coming in 1.5, so if any of these proposals duplicate efforts you are working on or will be in 1.5, please let me know.
Also (Especially!) if there are tasks that you (as site admins) have to do repeatedly that I haven't addressed, please post them here.