Basic Questions from a Newbe

Basic Questions from a Newbe

by Rick Halverson -
Number of replies: 2
I use Dreamweaver to develop web sites.  One web site that I am develping is a Sharable Content Object (SCO) library or repository.  People can upload, via FTP, SCO source files.  I want people to be able to play some of these eLearning courses at my web site.  I would also like to track who has taken what lessons.  Is Moodle the answer?
If so, does the software need to be loaded on my host server by the hosting company (ixwebhosting hosts my domains) or can I load it via FTP?
Thanks,
Rick
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Halverson

Re: Basic Questions from a Newbe

by Richard Treves -
Hopefully I'm up to date with this advice, someone jump in if I'm spreading mis information.

If your primary aim is to build a repository then you could do the following:
set up a forum, users post Learning objects as attachments and people discuss the object in a thread of postings.  In moodle there is an automatic multimedia players so flash and quicktime can be attached and will automatically play in a message.

For building a searchable repository, you could leave the objects just as attachments and use forum search to search for key words.  Moodle will track who has opened which thread when.  Or you could have a co-ordinator who moves objects to the file system within moodle which is more elegant but you would have to build some sort of search facility:  maybe an index containing metadata as a web page?

I use moodle as a LO development site with a team of 4, it works fine but there may be other OS systems better suited to this purpose.  Big advantages of moodle though are: very easy to use for users, co-ordinator and admin and there is a whole lot of lovely people here ready to jump in and help if you get stuck. 

Hope that helps.

Richard
In reply to Richard Treves

Re: Basic Questions from a Newbe

by Frances Bell -
Could the glossary be used as an alternative, with ratings and categorisation?