Multichoice - Multiple-answer

Multichoice - Multiple-answer

by Andrew Golightly -
Number of replies: 5

So my understanding of this feature is...

there are answers A, B and C. say the actual answer is A and C.

A and C have to have identical feedback. B's feedback will have a "wrong" feedback for it. So if anything is chosen other than the combo of A and C, B's feedback will show up.

What if the answer is A, B and C though? Where would I put "incorrect" feedback?

thanks,

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Golightly

Re: Multichoice - Multiple-answer

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

See my example below.

Lesson MCQ with multiple answers option:

Which of the following are animals?
Multiple Choice - Multianswer
Answer 1:     the cat
Response 1:     yes, the cat and the dog are animals
Score 1:     1
Jump 1:     Next page
Answer 2:     the dog
Response 2:    
Score 2:     1
Jump 2:     Next page
Answer 3:     the tulip
Response 3:     Your answer is incomplete or contains wrong choices...
Score 3:     0
Jump 3:     This page
Answer 4:     the rose
Response 4:    
Score 4:     0
Jump 4:     This page

Sample student answers:

the cat, the dog -> yes, the cat and the dog are animals

the cat -> Your answer is incomplete or contains wrong choices...

the dog -> Your answer is incomplete or contains wrong choices...

the rose -> Your answer is incomplete or contains wrong choices...

the cat, the rose -> Your answer is incomplete or contains wrong choices...

the dog, the rose -> Your answer is incomplete or contains wrong choices...

the rose, the tulip -> Your answer is incomplete or contains wrong choices...

the cat, the dog, the rose -> Your answer is incomplete or contains wrong choices...

etc.

There can only be two possible feedback messages for this type of question: one for the full correct answer and one for any other answer (incomplete or wrong).

When creating the question,

• the correct feedback message must be entered in the "Response" field of the very first correct Answer field, 
  • the incorrect feedback message must be entered in the "Response" field of the very first incorrect Answer field, 
  • all the other Response fields can/should be left empty, since they will not be used.

I hope that makes things clear.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andrew Golightly -

Thanks Joseph. So to be clear, if all the answers are correct, there is no way of providing feedback if they don't get them all?

Thanks,

Andrew

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Andrew "... if all the answers are correct, there is no way of providing feedback if they don't get them all?"

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Please provide an example.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andrew Golightly -

Hi Joseph,

So...

Which of the following are body parts?

* arm

* leg

* nose

So all are correct. So in order to progress all have to be ticked. So how do we provide feedback in this case which says that "sorry you've missed something out"? There is no incorrect answer to write that feedback in with. Because from what I understand, the same feedback e.g. "great you got all 3" will be the feedback for all 3 answers above.

thanks,

Andrew

by Joseph Rézeau -

Andrew, thanks for clearing things up! Your question poses 2 problems to me: one technical (easily resolved) and one pedagogical.

1.- In the current Lesson questions editing interface - for the case at hand - there is indeed no way to enter a specific feedback message for a wrong choice, since there are no wrong choices! One workaround, however, is to set your whole Lesson to use "Default feedback": Flow control -> Display default feedback YES.

Here is the online Help for that Display default feedback setting:

If set to Yes, then when a response is not found for a particular question, the default response of "That's the correct answer" and "That's the wrong answer" will be used.

If set to No, then when a response is not found for a particular question, then no feedback is displayed. The user taking the Lesson will automatically be directed to the next Lesson page.

2. On the pedagogical level or, more specifically on the linguistic level, the wording of your question "Which of the following are body parts?" presupposes that not all proposed choices are correct, only some of them. From a pedagogical perspective, I would say that asking such a question and expecting all of the choices to be selected is like "playing a trick" on the students.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

Average of ratings:Useful (2)