Use Repositories or "Site Files" in 2.1 ??

Use Repositories or "Site Files" in 2.1 ??

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers

I am trying to make a decision in Moodle 2.1.  Should I use a repository or upload  files into a course as our best practice going forward.  We made the jump from 1.5.3, so I figure we might as well learn a new revolutionary way of doing it and not use legacy files.

We run the same course every semester.  The current course uses 180 pdf files which our students download.  We never delete files but create a new file with a different date trailer in the name.   In the past I would copy all the files from the old course to the new course (we need to have a seperate course for each semester).  The teacher's assistant would delete and upload new files as needed. 

I am thinking this is a good use of a repository. I am thinking I should create a repository and give it the generic name of the course so the TAs and I do not get confused.

Sounds like what Elena and others do as a best practice.   Once I understand this by doing, I will spend some time in MoodleDocs with Files and Repositories . Promise.

Apologies for being somewhat lazy, but I have been working on other Moodle stuff and just got round to this with a decision which should have been implimented yesterday smile

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Use Repositories or "Site Files" in 2.1 ??

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Still looking for comments.

Revised my thinking.  Key issue is the ability of the Teaching Assistant (TA) to do all the adjusting.  

• Creating a file server repository means TA will need FTP (not good idea).  I did it but will not use it.
  • Uploading files as needed into a Semester's course then means that "remembering" where to find files could be messy.
    • However, copying content from Semester 1 course to the next Semester 2 course would be similar to the old Legacy system. 
    • Believe deleting a file in Semester 2 that was used in Semester 1 is not an issue
    • Believe adding a new file in Semester 2 is similar to the old Legacy system
    • Believe copying content from Semester 2 to Semester 3 will start off with just the Semester 2 files.  OK that works
    • This is messy if we can not remember the Semester we uploaded a file that was later deleted from a later Semester but we want to use again.
  • Create a "Master course" and put all files there.
    • Then add files via System files to Semester 1 course.
    • Make it a best practice to add new files to "Master course" and add those to Semester 1.
    • Copy content from Semester 1 into Semester 2 will only link to the current files that were linked from Semester 1 to the Master course.
    • After deleting and adding new files via best practice in Semester 2
    • Then copy content from Semester 2 to Semester 3 will have the desired starting point.
    • This method has all the files in 1 place.    If need be housekeeping after a couple of semesters, might move "old" files into an "old file" sub folder

Think I am going to go with the "Master Course" and hide it from the students.  I did something similar in 1.5.3 with quiz questions.

Comments?

In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Use Repositories or "Site Files" in 2.1 ??

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Gosh - I was confused after your first post but I am more confused nowbig grin Well - in no particular order - I can understand your not wanting the TA to have FTP access, although I don't really see the need for a filesystem repository anyway in this instance.  Are you saying that each semester you copy a course with 180 pdfs that you don't delete but then you change their names so they become new files? Are these new files added at intervals - I mean - not all at once - and that is why you don't delete all the old ones once you have made the new course? My understanding is that in 2.0 once a file is no longer displayed on a course page it will get automatically deleted after a while, so when you replace file_2010 with say file_2011 then 2010 will vanish at a point in time. If it is essential that you keep them all then you could add all the old files in a folder, and hide the folder from students. I am not sure what you mean by "system files" - there are no system files. If you mean server files then whoever adds them to the master course will have to have the relevant access to those courses in order to be able to locate and add them.

I *think* I understand your Master course concept and I *think* it will work but I am still not sure of your whole course set up , sorrysmile