Adding a Teacher to all courses

Adding a Teacher to all courses

by Benn Cass -
Number of replies: 24

Right let me start again as I'm unable to crack this.

I have been into the Define Roles section on Moodle 2.1 and set Teacher to be set at system level.

I have assigned a user to be a teacher at system level.

The teacher doesn't have any courses on thier list.

Any ideas?

P.S - I know some of you will say why am I doing this..... But that isn't my question smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Benn Cass

Re: Adding a Teacher to all courses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ben. Does the teacher see the course categories?  If they click into a course do they have editing rights?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benn Cass -

No. They just see You can not enrol yourself in this course.

In reply to Benn Cass

by ben reynolds -

Benn,

If that's what the user in a system wide teacher role is seeing, then the user is not in a system wide role. When a user has a system wide role, they are in every course that exists.

Did you alter permissions for teacher? Teacher is a role that Moodle provides by default. All you should have needed to do was go Site Admin > Users > Permissions > Assign System roles > Teacher and add the user, probably clicking the eye between the boxes to make the user invisible to students (but not to other teachers).

If you altered permissions, you should go back and unalter them. Also, make sure that your User policies are "normal."

In reply to ben reynolds

by Benn Cass -

I know.... It is very strange.

I haven't altered the teacher role permissions and the user policies are normal.

I can't work it out.

In reply to Benn Cass

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This isn't much of a helpful answer, I know but I have seen this problem elsewhere on Moodle with users who have upgraded from 1.9 to 2.0 and are getting this message - either when their students try to self enrol or when they assign a teacher sitewide and then the teacher gets the message.

So - (1) have you upgraded from 1.9 to 2.0?

(2) Are all your relevant enrolment plugins enabled sitewide and in each course?

(3) Would there be any value in assigning your teacher the manager role instead which would allow them to do pretty much the same as you want your site wide teacher to do and which they can't?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benn Cass -

1) Yes. From 1.9 to 2.0 and now 2.0 to 2.1.

2) Yes.

3) The same happens if it is a manager / teacher / student on site wide roles.

In reply to Benn Cass

by Mary Cooch -

Ok - I will try to take a look at this later today but in the meantime, do do a search on Moodle -and maybe the tracker for this as I am sure I have heard of this issue in relation to upgrading from 1. 9 to 2.0.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benn Cass -

I've tried searching.... but still no answer

In reply to Benn Cass

by anna ko -

...and if you assign a user to another tole (a student for example) at the system level, does this enrolled to all courses (or it's the same as Teacher problem)?

In reply to Benn Cass

by Benn Cass -

Also... I've tried adding a user at category level and still the same problem.

In reply to Benn Cass

by Andrew James Smit -

I'm having this same issue in Moodle 2.0 I have added a teacher at the site level, but everytime they try go into a course it say's "You cannot enroll yourself into this course" 

In reply to Andrew James Smit

by Benn Cass -

This is becoming urgent at our place now as I have a number of people needing access....... Anybody understand what is going on?

In reply to Benn Cass

by Andrew James Smit -

I found the solution. In the define roles there is a permission called "View courses without participation", if you enable that then site-wide roles work (and category level roles) .

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to ben reynolds

by Mohammed Abdulaziz -

we have upgraded from 1.9 to 2.1

I have followed your instructions and found:

Under: Site Admin > Users > Permissions > Assign System roles

I can only find 3 roles: Manager + Course Creator + a permission created manually on 1.9

So how can I add the teacher into this collection as I could not find the add button.

As for in define roles there is a permission called "View courses without participation" is this something you created your self or should it be there by default, as I dont have it on our installed version of moodle (2.1)

I am currently facing an issue when enrolling teachers at a category level they would still not be able to access any courses under the assigned  category, and i end up enrolling them to each individul course.

Furthermore a list of roles such as teacher, student, guest and course creator is listed under "Unsupported role assignments" is this something i should worry about..

In reply to Mohammed Abdulaziz

by Mary Cooch -

MOhammed- if you are having problems with category assignments look at the docs here http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Category_enrolments

That would probably  be better than assigning a system role to all teachers

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Christos Rodosthenous -

Tested it and it works. One question though, I have a user that is enrolled in a course. This course is shown in My courses when he logs in. The same user is also assigned in a category with 3 more courses. Only this course is shown in my courses when he logs in. I checked and the user has access to all other courses, but are not shown in My Courses. Any clues?

In reply to Christos Rodosthenous

by Benn Cass -

I have ended up with another problem now..... My users can see the courses now but they cannot assign roles to users of the course. I have checked all of the capabilities and they are the same as a Teacher so why can't they assign roles to them? If I add them at course level it works but not at category or site level. Any help?

In reply to Benn Cass

by Stephen Bloomer -

So is there any way of assigning a teacher or non editing teacher at the system level. In Assign roles in System I only have Manager and Course creator. I have a number of people who need access site wide, such as the Principal and Head of Library and I would like to assign this at a system level so that it is centrally managed and not to add them to every Category.

In reply to Stephen Bloomer

by Stephen Bloomer -

For added data.  I have found the document at http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Assign_roles

following those instructions I now have the Teacher and Non-editing Teacher roles showing up in the Assign roles in System and I have added teachers to those roles, but they are not able to access the courses.

Using 2.3.2

In reply to Stephen Bloomer

by Mary Cooch -

If you have a look at #21 in the FAQ her http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Roles_FAQ it suggests you also need to give them the capability moodle/course:view.

I have just added this to the Assign roles docs page as well; sorry it wasn't there before.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)