Mobile Compatible SCORM

Mobile Compatible SCORM

by edwin rosado -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

Is it possible to develep a mobile compatible (ipad) scorm package?  If so, can anyone provide tips on what is needed to do so.  Currently, most of my moodle instance is natively supported on the Ipad except form my SCORM content packages.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Ed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to edwin rosado

Re: Mobile Compatible SCORM

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

you just need to find a SCORM authoring tool that will allow you to export a SCORM package that doesn't include flash/swf related files (unless you get your users to install some form of flash player

bit more info here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=173843

I haven't tested SCORM packages on an iPad but am unaware of any issues specific to playing a package an iPad.

In reply to edwin rosado

by Amy Groshek -
I could be wrong but I don't think there is any authorware out there that is going to provide HTML5 video and audio playback, as well as animations in cross-browser compliant JavaScript. I have put together an in-house SCORM package that does this, and I'm sure there are other vendors who have done so, but until eLearning authorware users start caring about HTML5, Articulate/Captivate/etc have very little incentive to do this. Last I heard Articulate's response to SCORM on the iPad was "buy an Android device."
In reply to Amy Groshek

by Under Dog -

Hello,

Articulate has a new product coming out called Storyline.  It has the ability to publish to iPads (HTML5).  It is currently in Beta.  I had the opportunity to see it in action and can't wait to get my hands on it when it is released.

It will help to solve the problem of getting my courses to eLearning to mLearning.

Good stuff,

Dave

In reply to edwin rosado

by edwin rosado -

I would like to thank everyone for their feedback.  Thanks.

In reply to edwin rosado

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi edwin,

Your question is about iOS (iPhone and iPad) compatible SCORM rather than mobile compatible. All recent mobile devices support the latest versions of Flash Player so there aren't the same SCORM issues. iOS will not support Flash Player for the foreseeable future because fully functioning browser-based apps, i.e. Flash and Java, are in direct competition with iTunes' app store which is a major part of Apple's income and their "walled garden" business model.

However, there is good news on the horizon for iOS users. Lots of developers are working on IDEs that produce HTML5 + Javascript + CSS versions of Flash Player 5 and below. It's a bit like a time machine that takes you back to Flash in the year 2000 but it's pretty good for 2D animation.

Adobe are currently working on cross-compilers to accommodate different platforms. They already include an option to cross-compile Adobe AIR apps into native iOS apps so they can be submitted for the infamously opaque iTunes' approval process (lots of high-end developers and agencies have walked away from iTunes in sheer frustration). Apple fought tooth and nail to try to stop this but finally lost on anti-trust laws in the US. Adobe are also working on a project called Wallaby (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/wallaby/) which converts Flash timeline (stop-frame) animations into HTML5 + Javascript + CSS.

Personally, I think it'll be a while before any fully-fledged, high-end HTML5 IDEs come out simply because so many users' browsers aren't compatible with HTML5 yet (I'm talking all those millions of users still using IE 6, 7 and 8), so there isn't a huge demand for it yet. The other caveat it that the HTML5 + Javascript + CSS approach is a lot heavier than using Flash in terms of bandwidth and CPU and GPU resources. Mobile devices and browsers are evolving rapidly but at present, they're really not up to the challenge of running anything as sophisticated as what we've come to expect from interactive multimedia Flash in HTML5.

In short, Apple are determined to be the gatekeepers to what and how their iOS customers can view web content and keep the $Billions rolling in.