Single Sign On option in Moodle Hub

Single Sign On option in Moodle Hub

by bnk nay -
Number of replies: 2

My Scenario:  I have two moodle installations that are registered to a hub. I have  created courses on my moodle installation and published to the Hub. All works fine and I am able to browse to my course from my Hub.
My Requirement:  I would like to signup once in the hub and can log directly
to the courses that are published on hub.   I do not like to use mNet.  Is it possible just by using  Moodle Hub Features ?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to bnk nay

Re: Single Sign On option in Moodle Hub

by John Andrewartha -

I don't think there is a way of doing what you ask easily.

Keep in mind that the statement from core is that Mnet will be retired in Moodle 2.3 in favour of a standard approach to SSO.

In reply to John Andrewartha

Re: Single Sign On option in Moodle Hub

by Jenny Gray -

I agree, it isnt easy but it is possible.  I am assuming that you have control of the configuration of both Moodle instances, so you can set their authentication method to whatever you want? 

In that case, you could try using an external authentication system and getting both Moodle's to redirect to that for login. There are a number of auth plug-ins already in Moodle which might be suitable, or you can write your own to talk to whatever other system you have.

Or you could write your own authentication plug-in that will log you on to the second Moodle automatically if you're logged on to the first.  I've done that before, and the tricky part is in handling the fact that users might have different ID numbers on the two servers - in the end we went for an external auth because it was easier to manage.