Unable to use video in lesson Moodle 2.1.1+

Unable to use video in lesson Moodle 2.1.1+

par brian avery,
Nombre de réponses : 9

I have tried asking for help in the general problems forum but have not found a solution despite Mary's kind help (see : http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=183659)

I am unable to use flv or (according to Mary) even mp3 in lessons. All the relevant filters are on, according to Mary who went into the site and tried it for herself, everything is set up as it should be. The site is running php5.3.6 (even though hostgator conspired to have configs for both 5.2 and 5.3 running at the same time).

Regardless of whatever I do, a media link to an flv shows up only as a text link from which the file must be downloaded. I don't want to give copies of every flv I plan to use and even if I did, it doesn't help when I want users to watch and listen to these videos in order to answer questions!

Please can anyone suggest a way I can use video on my site? I've wasted almost two clear days on this and can't more forward.

If there is an alternative program/player/whatever that would function, and assuming it has instructions that related to moodle 2+ I would LOVE to hear about it!

Thank to anyone who can help..

Brian

Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à brian avery

Re: Unable to use video or audio in Moodle 2.1.1+

par Mary Cooch,
Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators

Actually Brian - I've just altered the title of your post (in my post) because you cannot play video or audio anywhere it seems to me  -so don't limit it to video in lessons, even though that is where you are experiencing the problems. I tried to embed mp3 and flv in a regular page and it still didn't work. Just clarifyingsourire (And before anyone suggests it, I checked on your site and you can embed videos from youtube with the iframe option - but I realise you don't want to do that)

En réponse à Mary Cooch

par brian avery,

I hadn't tried it anywhere else so I didn't know that!

I have tried the enable / disable slash arguments thing (or whatever it's called) and the only difference was that without, an uploaded file showed as being at a moodle temp address, whereas with, I just get the file name. The outcome is exactly the same.

Also hostgator use suphp (I think that's what it's called).

Brian

En réponse à Mary Cooch

par Glenys Hanson,

Hi Brian and Mary,

From reading your discussion, it seems to me the problem is with Hostgator. I did a quick Google search for "Cheap Moodle Hosting" and came up with this discussion Siteground.com as a Moodle host. You'd probably need to search more to find a solution for your particular needs. I've never run a 2.1.1 course on shared hosting but even 1.9 has it's limits. Mine have been with intensive use of Quiz and Hot Potatoes/QuizPort leading to making it impossible to backup courses.

The few videos I use I store outside of Moode and I think that's what most people do these days unless they're huge universities with virtually unlimited server space. As Mary says it doesn't necessarily mean making them public. One simple way:

- not suitable for very sensitive material, of course. Is yours?

Cheers,

Glenys

... and I didn't even intend to insert that video! Inserting from YouTube (and elsewhere) is just so easy, why make life difficult for yourself, Brian? pensif

En réponse à Glenys Hanson

par Mary Cooch,
Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators

Glenys - one of the issues with cheap shared hosting and Moodle 2.1 (as i have discovered, both to my own cost in past months and to others' just this week) is that Moodle 2.1 requires PHP 5.3 and a lot of shared hosts don't allow it because of the effect it has on their other clients' sites - so it's difficult finding one either that will allow you to have it or that will allow you to install it yourself. In fact, I got very annoyed with one host (who shall remain nameless although they are in the UK) because they assured me and the gentleman I was helping that he absolutely could have PHP 5.3. I was sceptical so I took a screenshot of the online conversation. He asked the same question - they absolutely assured him -he did the same. I  changed the PHP to 5.3,  installed Moodle for him - it worked for about 2 days and then stopped - because they had reverted him back to PHP 5.2,saying they didn't allow 5.3 on their servers. (Needless to say he got out of that contract  very annoyed...)

Brian - yes - while it won't solve your video /flowplayer/mp3 player issue, private youtube would allow you at least to show your videos

En réponse à Mary Cooch

par Glenys Hanson,

Hi Mary,

I actually have a Siteground site (10$ a year) which I never use because I made the mistake of doing a Fantastico installation and haven't taken the time to work out how to get rid of it. Poking around this last half hour, it does seem to allow upgrading to Moodle 2 (not sure which version) and have PHP 5.3+. To acutally get it working I would have had to mess around with php.ini or .htaccess files and I couldn't be bothered. It's very irritating to use because every thing I try leads to an add suggesting I upgrade to a more expensive version.

For Brian and others, this has been said many times before on these forums: just because Moodle itself is free, it doesn't mean you don't have to spend money (or get some else to) to use it fully. Whether eventually you get a return on your investment depends on many, many things. I doubt if I have in cash terms, but I have in other ways.

Cheers,

Glenys

par Mary Cooch,

Actually Glenys -changing your PHP version in either of those is a two minute job - I have done it - but there are other issues involved too, with zip extensions - which I just don't want to go into having wasted a whole week on them...triste (Sorry Brian -we were going off topic, and it's important to stay on topic so you get your videos sorted..)

En réponse à Mary Cooch

par brian avery,

@Mary,

The MP3 thing is just as important as the video issue, it's just I hadn't reached that point yet! I have scripted but not recorded quite a lot of audio ... and MP3 will obviously be needed then. Luckily, I can ignore the issue for a while, but that was actually my next job. I've arranged for someone to help me with the recordings in the first few days of september, and at that point (once I learn how to edit them) they will need to be added, to lessons and quizzes.

Brian

En réponse à brian avery

Issue resolved - or no longer a problem

par brian avery,

I have added a fuller explanation in the general problems forum (183705) but suffice to say that for reasons totally unclear, the problem has mostly vanished.

Except in IE9-64bit.

Brian

par brian avery,

@Glenys,

Thank you for your homily on hosts. I have already made comments about hostgator but, given that I have already paid for the next year or so, I have no intention of messing about looking at yet another company that promises the earth and delivers dust. Yes, I've heard of siteground, and there are negative comments about what they offer even in the post you suggested I read, let alone online. In fact, what hostgator offer, in terms of numbers, seems to be better than what siteground offer. The only thing which limits hostgator is the competence of their tech staff and their php process limits. I haven't come anywhere close to needing better hosts in terms of specs. I also have a dedicated ip, which I use, and free ssl if I want it, which for now I don't.

Most hosts these days offer unlimited storage space, so there is no need to use external storage. As for 'sensitive' material, I prefer to think that if I spend time creating material it will be kept in a place where I can limit who can access it, know where it is, etc.  I think that's fair.

As for what people do or don't spend, after my rent etc is paid and I eat, I have about 400 euros a month so don't make patronising comments about people needing to spend money. So far, I don't know if the problem with video not playing is a moodle issue, php issue or pre-menstrual tension. Nor do you. People whose courses are paid for by others can maybe afford to be picky, but for those who are creating something from their own pockets, cheap smells nice. As and when I find a way to add enough content to moodle to create a course, from which I can maybe start earning a little money, I will almost certainly take a dedicated or vps service, but until then this is just a hobby that costs me money with no appreciable return or satisfaction. I'm only doing what I'm doing because I hate being beaten at anything.

The fact that moodle media is not working, for whatever reason, is what's making my life difficult sweetie. Please don't forget that. I didn't ask it to not work. In fact, I distinctly remember asking for suggestions as to why it wouldn't work. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. However, I'd rather get the media player working as it should, or an alternative program that will do the same job, which was what the post was about. Do you know of one?

Brian