Comments only in plain text?

Comments only in plain text?

by Itamar Tzadok -
Number of replies: 4

Joseph, could you confirm that comments 2 (in general) allows for only plain text? If that's the case, isn't it a bit limited?  smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: Comments only in plain text?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Itamar,

I had not noticed, but yes I confirm that whereas it was possible to use the HTML editor to write Glossary comments in moodle 1.9 it is no longer possible in moodle 2.

However, it is still possible to put in HTML tags, see attached screenshot.

I have no idea why that decision was made.

Joseph

Attachment 19-08-2011 22-16-05.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Itamar Tzadok -

Thanks Joseph. I thought that it might allow html tags but was more concerned about my favorite smiley smile. It seems to me that since Comments 2 already uses javascript, it would perpaps be better to put there a standard editor (e.g. tinymce) with collapsed but popable toolbars so that users could enter rich text in a friendly way. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Rachel Fransen -

I was wondering about this as well. I went into the comments/lib.php file and saw that it was creating a standard text area.

What would be the code to call an actual text editor here instead? (I cannot simply add an editor element, since this isn't an $mform). 

I've never taken a look at moodle 1.9, so I'm not sure how they did that...

In reply to Rachel Fransen

by Itamar Tzadok -

Adding an editor may not be too difficult (See e.g. editor implementation in the database module) but editor with file manager may be a bit tricky. Afaict the current implementation of the core comment component doesn't support system files. But it may be possible to add such support and also override the core comment display method in a plugin level. Incidentally, this is in my todo list but with all the other things in that list it may take a while until I get to that. If you take a shot at it I'd appreciate any insights. smile