LDAP Question

LDAP Question

by Devin Roush -
Number of replies: 3

Hello all!

I would like to connect our Moodle 2.1 installation (Windows) to our Active Directory LDAP for authentication i.e. if a user has an account in AD, they can log in to Moodle via that username/password.

Our LDAP is not organized for Moodle (i.e. OUs in AD do not reflect courses in Moodle).  Can I still use our LDAP for authentication???

If I can, I plan to use cohorts to organize groups of users within Moodle for use in enrolling students into classes.

From what I've read about how the LDAP plugin works within Moodle, it seems that if your Active Directory environment is not laid out for specific use with Moodle that it won't work.  Am I misunderstanding something?

Any help is most appreciated!  Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Devin Roush

Re: LDAP Question

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think you might be getting authentication and enrollments mixed up.

Authentication is *only* about "can I log in == is my username and password correct?". You should be fine for that.

Using it for organising classes is a different thing again and probably would require some thought. I've not come across many people who use LDAP for that (although you can). Automatic enrollment is probablay (IMO) more easily done by taking a regular feed from whatever holds your class data to a special database table. The use external database enrollment.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Michael Woods -
Picture of Core developers

Incidentally, we are a medium-sized site (4,500 users) who use LDAP for authentication and course enrollments. It works quite well. smile

In reply to Devin Roush

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
As Howard says, it will work without problems for authentication (we've been using it that way for years). Moodle doesn't require any particular LDAP directory organization for authentication, just for enrolment.

You can get help to set it up by having a look at http://docs.moodle.org/en/LDAP_authentication

Saludos.
Iañki.