Need ideas. Unique issue

Need ideas. Unique issue

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 4

I think this is a unique question, but maybe someone has already figured it out.

I have a class of adolescents. Their parents want access to their grades and to be able to see their assignments., but of course should not be able to do any of the work, just view.

I use manual enrollments for students, but parents need to self enroll via email authentication.

So how would I set up the viewing permissions, and more importantly give students participatory rights, but not those who self-enroll? I am the one who assigns passwords and usernames for students, but I don't care about how parents arrange their logins, just so long as I have a record of their visits. I am the administrator of the site, and use the latest build of 2.1.1.

THANK YOU KIN ADVANCE!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: Need ideas. Unique issue

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Firstly, have you read.... http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Parent_role wink

Other than that... I think you are missing an important step. Even if the automatic permissions worked, how does the system know who is which student's parent(s). If I self enrol is it just going to take my work for it that I am (say) Jimmy Smith's parent?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Doug Moody -

Howard, Thank you so much for that link. It sounds like what I need.

Per your question about self-enrollment, well, I am going to manually enroll parents, just like I do students. That should work, right?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Chris Bates -

Hi Doug

I have been using a parent role for a couple years now.  I use a ".csv" file to enroll my parents and then pair the parent to the proper student(s).  This worked well for me When I was using Moodle 1.9. 

I am using Moodle 2.1 this year.  I am sure the setup will be similar.