Multilanguage in Glossary not possible?

Multilanguage in Glossary not possible?

by John Gschnaidner -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everybody,

I need to create a course in several languages. For most things the multilang tag works fine - even with headings and so. Now I am trying to build a glossary for special phrases - some are different in all languages, but some are just the same. And I want to use auto-link.

My Problem: The span-lang-tag is always removed from the glossary entry, so that I end up with showing the description in all languages.

I tried out several things, even editing the entry directly in the database - with the same result. I might try to manually link the phrases, since I need them only at a few specific places. But I can't find a way to link them either.
To me it looks like a bug (or a bad bug fix, just removing the span-lang-tags, because it is not working anyway).

Does anybody have a workaround for that. Much appreciate any suggestion.

Regards

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Gschnaidner

Re: Multilanguage in Glossary not possible?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi John,

Which version of Moodle are you using?

Could you please provide a couple of examples of your Glossary entries?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello Joseph,

I had 2.1.1 and tried today with the latest build.

The course is about IT-Security. I can do different entries when the phrase differs in languages: E-Mail-Bombe - email bomb.

The real problem are phrases, that are the same in both languages, e.g. SPAM or Phishing. With those I like to use the lang tag in the body (Definition) to display the description in the right language.

I figured some rules with the span tag, when I did the lesson in English and German - no span tags between those for the language, otherwise the tag structure will turn over. So I am just using the usual:

<span class="multilang" lang="de">Deutsch</span><span class="multilang" lang="en">English</span>

When I switch from HTML to WYSIWYG and then back to HTML all lang tags are gone.

STOP: I just tried to see, if normal format span tags are also removed. Those remain. When I just replaced a format tag with the lang tag it worked. thoughtful

My mistake: I placed the span-lang-tag in front of the paragraph tag. With the lesson pages I was forced to use the lang tag only within a paragraph and typed most direct in HTML. Here I wrote the text first in both languages and then been trying to place the lang tag arround the corresponding paragraphs. Guess you really have to be careful where you place the multilang tags ...

Looks like that was the problem. Seems I need to dig a bit more after a couple of years break from moodle and working with 1.65 before. wink
Thanks anyway for the fast reaction. Keep up the good work.

Best regards

John

In reply to John Gschnaidner

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for the update, John. Yes, to use the lang span you have to be careful.

By the way, I regret that the lang dropdown list of languages that was available in the HTML editor menu in 1.9 has disappeared in 2.0. So that you now have to resort to editing the HTML code.sad

Joseph