Enrollment Options (Audit, Core, or Elective)

Enrollment Options (Audit, Core, or Elective)

by Weston Dunn -
Number of replies: 2

I need to ask the student if they would like to take a course as a Core, Elective, or Audit option at enrollment.  What would the best way to do this?

As of right now I am asking them efter the fact, and then placing them into Groups within each course.  

Should I use an external form that is submited into a database, in return is then used as an external database enrollment method?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Weston Dunn

Re: Enrollment Options (Audit, Core, or Elective)

by Paul Fynn -

We use feedback to allow students to indicate their preferred courses.

Feedback is 'better' than choice as it allows more complex questions and instructions. Choice (in 1.9) has some issues, including not enforcing limits when it is assailed by multiple users at the same time.

We used to run choices as a 'first past the post' electives selection which closed users out of courses when they were full. 600 simoultaneous users managed to crash the server, and we found that the effect was to use moodle as a tombolo.

Now we use feedback to take 'preferences' and courses are allocated in order of last semesters grade average - highest grade gets first pick but no guarantes. This allows us to factor in classroom/teacher enrolment limits etc before finalising the list

If your clever about it, you can build in a two part question consting of the course name (as will be used in the .csv upload) and the C/A/E as the group name.

The results can be exported as an analysis spreadsheet, and the detailed analysis becomes the upload back into Moodle as a .csv file.

Example feedback question.

• Please indicate your preference for 2011.2 999 Catering

egg Elective

egg Core

egg Audit

egg Not selected

Example output

Paul Fynn 999999 Please indicate your preference for 2011.2 999 Catering Audit

becomes

username, idnumber,course1, group1

Paul Fynn,999999, 2011.2 999 Catering, Audit

In reply to Paul Fynn

Re: Enrollment Options (Audit, Core, or Elective)

by Weston Dunn -

This sounds more like a seocondary option if I cannot find a interactive enrollment plugin to ask a question right after they choose enrol.  Thank you for the idea.  I'll start with that.