Hiding IP Addresses in Reports Logs

Hiding IP Addresses in Reports Logs

by Karen Crumbley -
Number of replies: 3

I am using Moodle 2.0.4 and was wondering if there is a way to hide the IP Address from displaying in the reports logs for activity. It would be a best practice not to provide that type of information for security reasons if possible although I understand where it could be useful  for validation purposes.  I would prefer to hide the IP Address information from displaying all together.  Thanks in advance for any feedback here.

NOTE: I originally posted this info in the Security and Privacy area but had no response, so I thought I would try my luck here.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen Crumbley

Re: Hiding IP Addresses in Reports Logs

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm reasonably sure that you would need to hack the code of the report to prevent the IP display.

This is a new one on me... as a matter of interest, why do you consider the IP to be a security risk?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Karen Crumbley -

It is debatable as to whether it is considered sensitive information for purposes of network compromises, but I am in a managed security services environment and may be hyper aware of how information is used for mal intent.  I am surprised that it has not come up before in any other support blogs that I can find.  Which probably means that the code would need to be tweaked as you have indicated?

In reply to Karen Crumbley

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well... you can get paranoid about anything if you look for long enough I suppose wink

I haven't heard of this one but you get people asking how student's names can be removed so that they cannot be "mis-used" so nothing surprises me any more.

Yes - you would need to find the code in the report and suppress it.