duplicating files from repository?

duplicating files from repository?

by Andrew Golightly -
Number of replies: 12

Hi there,

Just wanted to check something. So if I connect to Dropbox as a repository, and add a file from there, does that file get copied to the server with Moodle as well? Or does the file stay in Dropbox and only get referred to/downloaded from Dropbox when clicked on?

thanks,

Andrew

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Golightly

Re: duplicating files from repository?

by Andrew Golightly -

? bump smile

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The file gets copied over into Moodle.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Andrew Golightly -

Ok thanks. Is it possible to 'force' files (especially media like audios files and videos files) to be fetched from an external repository like Dropbox or Amazon S3 when clicked on. I.e. not copied to Moodle, but instead re-routed to be downloaded from Dropbox? I'm aware Dropbox has the Public folder wherein files can be externally linked to. I'm just a little intrigued that Moodle 2 has taken it a step further and accessing all other folders too.

I'm noticing some web hosts have limited diskspace, and hosting the larger files externally could be a solution

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Andrew

I don't have direct experience of DropBox, but in general, if you have the URL (Web address) of any remote file, including one in a repository, you can just link to it.

Turn editing on >> Add a resource... >> URL

For images and multimedia you can also use the appropriate buttons from the Editor toolbar, e.g.

Turn editing on >> Add a resource... >> Label >> [Inset/edit image] or [Moodle Media] button>> Find or upload... >> once you have selected the file from the filepicker, make sure you select the 'Link external' checkbox (to avoid copying the file).

You should also be able to use the usual Moodle filter 'tricks' to embed such remote multimedia links into a Moodle course.

Of course, this does require that the files in the repository are accessible from the Web, but I presume this is what you mean by a 'Public' DropBox folder.

Note that although it results in 'unecessary' duplication, copying, rather than linking to, the resource avoids access issues as the copied file inherits the appropriate permissions of the Moodle course it is in.

Otherwise, you may need a more complex setup with a repository such as Alfresco where you, in some way, align the roles and permissions in Moodle with those in the repository. As I understand it, systems such as Edu-Sharing, Elis or Joule 2 (I think, a hosted version of Elis) offer this kind of capability.

Note that some of the above may require a recent version of Moodle 2.x, I'm using Moodle 2.1.1.

Geoff

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Andrew Golightly -

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the Public folder in Dropbox is accessible via the web. The other folders, are only available (online) by logging into dropbox. That is until I saw this plugin.

Sounds like, space permitting, the ideal would be to have a copy to Moodle.

BTW, I couldn't see that "link external" checkbox? Screenshot attached. I'm using Moodle 2.0.4. Maybe it's only in a more recent version?

cheers,

Andrew

Attachment file picker.png

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is a setting" allow external links" in site admin>plugins>repositories>common repository settings -however;  I haven't seen it with dropbox, only the likes of Flickr for instance.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

As Mary indicates, there is an "Allow external links" configuration setting that needs to be ticked.

Allow external links

Then, for Alfresco or WebDAV repositories at least, the following interface is displayed *after* you have selected an image or multimedia file (via the TinyMCE toolbar)

Link external

If this is not yet possible for Dropbox, then perhaps put a feature request in the Moodle Tracker. Some related Tracker entries: #MDL-26451, #MDL-27257.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Derek Chirnside -
I'm not ignoring you Andrew. I'm just not sure of the answer. I think it copies the file into Moodle. This would be easy to test. -Derek
In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Mary Cooch -

I just did test it and it doessmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Andrew Golightly -

Hey Mary,

I was curious to test this for myself. If I add a file to my private files, where does it get saved? moodledata/..?

thanks,

Andrew

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Files get stored somewhere in moodledata/filedir. Files are stored with a cryptic name based on the file contents.