Clear Instructions for installing hotpot mod

Clear Instructions for installing hotpot mod

by brian avery -
Number of replies: 4

I am using Moodle 2.1.1+ (Build: 20110803), a fresh install.

I have the following environment:

environment

I uploaded what I believe to be the latest vesrion of the hotpot module from the link in this post:

Picture of Gordon Bateson
Re: No "Hot Potatoes XML format" when importing into question bank
by Gordon Bateson - Sunday, 14 August 2011, 08:33 AM
I looked for instructions on how to install the module and saw none, so I installed the folder called hotpot into moodle/mod as you can see.
hot2
I then moved the second folder into place in question/format/  as you can see.
hot3
I then went to my site. It was fine until I tried to do anything, at which point the screen went blank except for the error message that you can see below.
hot4
I deleted the question/format/hotpot  folder and it made no difference. I deleted the mod/hotpot folder and of course everything went back to normal.
I tried using two other hotpot mods I'd downloaded (all from the same forum post page - there seem to be references to 3 different versions) but nothing changes.
Given that there are no instructions to follow, I'm assuming I've done everything okay.
Can anyone tell me why I'm not allowed to use hotpot?
Thanks,
Brian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to brian avery

Resolved: Clear Instructions for installing hotpot mod

by brian avery -

The only thing I hadn't done, or thought of doing, was to try installing hotpot from a standard theme. I was using the latest aardvark and this appears to have been the problem.

Upon changing to formal white, the install went smoothly.

I spotted something on the notifications page during the installation that made reference to updating aardvark and another theme (didn't think to note what it said) so I guess that was the issue.

Brian

In reply to brian avery

Re: Resolved: Clear Instructions for installing hotpot mod

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

From what you say, there was some issue with the Aardvark theme. The error message was about "blocks", wihch are a different kind of plugin to "Activity modules" such as the HotPot module. I don't think the HotPot module - or any other module for that matter - can do much about the message or the white screen that you get when using the Aardvark theme.

Glad to hear you found a workaround approve
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by brian avery -

Sorry Gordon,

been busy and didn't have time to get on here. Yes, the hotpot module installed okay as soon as I changed themes and having gone back to aardvark (the fluid version) it works fine. In fact, I found another way to trigger almost the same error, and I believe Mary identified what was causing this problem. If anyone else has the same problem, with the fluid aardvark, for the moment the solution is to install via another theme and then switch back to aardvark. I'm sure Mary will fix the issue soon enough, so it isn't such a problem.

Brian

In reply to brian avery

by Joshua Sewell -

Brian,

Thanks for confirming that I am not crazy. I had the exact same issue while using the aardvark theme and trying to install the hotpot module. Im sure it will be resolved soon.