Students cannot type in short-answer fields

Students cannot type in short-answer fields

Brian De Jesus - દ્વારા
Number of replies: 14

This pertains to Moodle 1.9. We have some students reporting that they are unable to type text into the short-answer type questions. Essay questions are fine, but not short-answer questions. They report that the cursos doesn't even appear when they click in the text box. The two students I spoke with both use Firefox and have anti-virus software installed (one uses AVG and the other Norton). I'd highly appreciate it if someone could point me towards the right direction.

In reply to Brian De Jesus

Re: Students cannot type in short-answer fields

Tim Hunt - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Weird. You say "Students are reporting" - woudl it be possible for you to see this happening?

In reply to Tim Hunt

Diane Salamone - દ્વારા

We are having the same type of problem at our school.  Some students say that it is happening on the school lab computers and these computers do not have firefox installed.  Any solutions or advice would be appreciated.

In reply to Diane Salamone

Rusty Hatchett - દ્વારા

I have just encountered the same problem within a quiz in one of my instructors classsrooms.  Was trying to get specific browser version and brands that were being used, as well as the type internet services they may have had.  I have tried to replicate within the same course with different browsers, but was able to enter text in the essay response field.

As of now no information.  Is there any possibility of something in the database that should preclude a student from being able to enter text in that particular style of entry or the session to break?

In reply to Rusty Hatchett

Tim Hunt - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The database cannot affect this. It should not happen.

This probem is on the client computer being used to access Moodle. Things like which web browser. When the problem occurs. Look for JavaScript errors being reported by the browser.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Charles Johnson - દ્વારા

Greetings,

We are not only seeing it in the short answer type questions, but also in the essay type (which I know is another issue all together). It appears to us that it may be related in some way to IE9. Our Instructional Technologist and I have looked at the common browsers (except IE9 on Windows) on both Mac (Safari 5.1 , Firefox 6.0.2, Chrome 14.0.835.186) and PC (IE8, Chrome 14.0.835.186, Firefox 6.0.2) and were not able to replicate the problem.

Has anyone seen this problem on browsers other than IE9?

Thanks!

Chuck

In reply to Brian De Jesus

Donna Hrynkiw - દ્વારા

We're getting similar reports -- students can't enter text in quiz short-answer text field. They click on the field, but the cursor never appears. Likewise, a teacher reported that while creating questions can't enter text in answer field.

So far the students have all reported back that they experienced the problem in IE8 and IE9. The teacher says he was using Firefox. We've been unable to reproduce the problem in any browser. ઉદાસ

This is in Moodle 1.9.

Does anyone know if this issue has an entry in the Tracker yet?

In reply to Donna Hrynkiw

Tim Hunt - દ્વારા

Well, Moodle 1.9 is no longer supported, apart from security fixes, so don't bother opening a tracker issue unless you can reproduce this in Moodle 2.1+

In reply to Tim Hunt

darryl ******** - દ્વારા

just my humble suggestion.

Try refreshing / reloading the browser screen when the problem crops up. It helped me during quizzes with the essays, Maybe this could help with the textboxes ??

I suppose javascript / browser issues ?

In reply to darryl ********

Mosa W - દ્વારા

Hi there,

We are having this issue, and we can reproduce it using the newest release of Firefox for Windows. We are using Moodle 2.0.4. Fields work fine in Chrome and IE (haha, it works in IE!)

The issue is directly related to the rich-text toolbar. Is there some way I can stop the rich-text toolbar from loading into the short answer response fields? This fix would be fine for us for now.

સ્મીત Thanks!!

In reply to Mosa W

Joseph Rézeau - દ્વારા
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Mary Cooch - દ્વારા
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Mary Cooch

Kristian C - દ્વારા

So it appears that Firefox 11 has issues with the Tiny MCE editor in Moodle 2.x, but that doesn't explain problems experienced in 1.9.

We've had IE and Firefox users report the same problem, but I haven't been able to reproduce it. Could it be a Javascript error?