1.9 Quiz problem: Studetns get 100% all the time.

1.9 Quiz problem: Studetns get 100% all the time.

by Gary Sutcliff -
Number of replies: 13

As I see it, either I have adaptive mode that gives the student the answers to the quiz allowing them to make changes aand get 100% score or I switch off adaptive mode and they cannot see which responses were incorrect.  Is this true?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Sutcliff

Re: 1.9 Quiz problem: Studetns get 100% all the time.

by Itamar Tzadok -

Not quite. In the quiz settings you can set up the review options so as to show various elements of the question/response after the attempt is submitted (in three different stages). See illustration. To show correct answers for all questions, you should tick the answers option. If the quiz is not timed with fixed start and end, you should show answers only after the quiz is closed so as not to reveal correct answers while students are still attempting. If you show scores, students can know which question they got right or partially right by means of the score of the question. hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Gary Sutcliff -

Ok, I appreciate the suggestions but I still cannot get a set up where the student can review what ther responses were without seeing the answers.

I would like them to be able to see their responses, after the quiz has closed along with the right/wrong answers.

Although the "Responses" options are checked and "Answers" are not, responses are not shown.  I have used the same setup you suggest.  Adaptive mode off and adaprive omoe on.

Over the last year, I have literally worked on this for hours, probably in the 10s of hours.  I am begging for some help on this.

by Itamar Tzadok -

It is not entirely clear what the problem is. Are you suggesting that with these settings, opening the quiz review after the quiz closes doesn't show the answers? Or is it that your students can't open the quiz review at all?

Links to the quiz review should be available from the quiz summary page. See illustration. smile

Re: 1.9 Quiz problem: Students get 100% all the time.

by Gary Sutcliff -

Everything, structurally seems to be working. Students can take the quiz and everything looks good.  However, after the quiz has been submitted and all have been graded, I would like the sudents to be able to see the quiz, their responses, and indicators showing what the correct answere were.

It would be like handing papers back to the students and letting them see the questions, answers and what they got wrong.

The only time I have been able to get this is when the settings also allow the student to change answers resulting in getting 100% if they show just a little persistence.

If it is settings, I just have not found the magic combinations.  This seems to be the last major hurdle in getting this project done.  It has been hours in the making...

by Itamar Tzadok -

I'm afraid I still don't understand from your description where the problem is. If the review options are set as in the first illustration above, after the quiz is closed, students should be able to open the review page by clicking one of the links as in the second illustration above and see their responses, the correct answers and feedback if there is any. What exactly doesn't work in this scheme? smile

by Gary Sutcliff -

Maybe I just don't know where to go to find it.  I want to see a list of questions with all the answers offered, an indication as to what the student's response was and an indication as to what the correct response should have been if it was wrong.

In pre-digital times, it would be like giving the quiz back to the student with my corrections marked on it.

Options are set according to what was recommended above.  I have run the quiz in both adaptive mode ON and Adaptive mode off. Could there be a difference if I log in as a teacher or as a studnet?  I believe I have checked both.

I imagine that the list would show each question and the answers would be listed.  A green bar would indicate the correct answer.  A green check would show that the studnet had it correct, red Xs would show incorrect answers and a red bar sould show an incorect response from the student.  If it is there, how do I find it?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steve,

I am as bewildered as Itamar. For instance, those consecutive two sentences of yours do not make sense to me, as they look contradictory "I still cannot get a set up where the student can review what their responses were without seeing the answers. I would like them to be able to see their responses, after the quiz has closed along with the right/wrong answers."

Joseph thoughtful

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Adaptive mode?.

by Gary Sutcliff -

Sorry, two different events there, blame it on the late (early) time slot...

I am beginning to think that a lot of this confusion is in the use of the term "Adaptive Mode".  I have been trying to see the difference but just don't make any sense out of it.

In adaptive mode, they could answer the questions and hit "submit Page". The system would show the quiz questions, their correct responses in green but not their incorrect responses. They could go in and make all the changes until they are all green and then hit "Submit and Finish"  and of course get 100%. What is the purpose of "adaptive mode". Of what use is it?

If I do not use adaptive mode and they hit "sumbit and finish", they get a blank copy of the quiz.  What does that mean?  Why should it do that? Is something supposed to be there other than a blank list of questions? What does it mean "Make Comment or override grade"? There are no responses indicated. What does override mean?  Comment on what?

. ------------------------------------------

Homework is to read part of the chapter and to do the quiz. They will have any 20 minute opportunity to do it during the week and before they get to the next class. They will have one chance to take it. I want to see the scores so that I can gear the next class if needed

After the quiz is closed, I would like for them see what they got wrong and to see the correct answers along with the questions.

(Putting on my Lewis Black cap) What is the pbbbltttt "Adaptive mode"?

Re: Adaptive mode?.

by Avrila Klaus -

"In adaptive mode, they could answer the questions and hit "submit Page". The system would show the quiz questions, their correct responses in green but not their incorrect responses. They could go in and make all the changes until they are all green and then hit "Submit and Finish"  and of course get 100%. What is the purpose of "adaptive mode". Of what use is it?"

Actually, they would only get 100% in a situation such as this if the penalty factor on each question were set to 0.  Usually there is a nonzero penalty factor such as 0.1 so that if they fix a question once the best they can get is 90% of the points for it.   Of course the penalty factor can be set higher or lower but the concept is that each attempt at the question, beyond the first, knocks some points off, so the students get some credit for being able to figure it out, but not perfect credit.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Avrila Klaus

Setting Penalty

by Gary Sutcliff -

Am I to believe that in order to change the penalty that I have to go to each and every question, about 7 clicks each?  all 400 of them?

Is there a default that can be changed?

I looked into the sequince of importing questions into the bank and when assigning them to a quiz but saw no location to set the  penalty.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Steve : see Avrila's reply about the all-important "penaly' setting in the Adaptive mode.

Actually I've always thought that the choice of the "Adaptive" term for that mode was not the best. I would much prefer it to be called "Practice mode" (or Practise mode), as it is called in Moodle's Lesson module, for example.

Joseph

PS.- Please do not use "they" to refer to "students" unless you have specifically mentioned "students" in your message first. See "pronoun without an antecedent".

Joseph (once a teacher, always a teacher).wink

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gary Sutcliff -

OK, now I understand the penalty effect but I still don't see how the students (hence forth refered to as "they") can benefit from the exam.  In the past, I would hand back the quiz and "they" could see the questions, the choice of answers, and  responses and know which were wrong or right.  Can this be achieved in Moodle?

P.S. I am no longer a teacher, I am now an educator...

by Itamar Tzadok -

At present the students can go back to the quiz and click on one of the links in the summary of attempts (which should contain one row if there was only one attempt) and this should open the quiz review page which should show the student's responses, the correct answers and feedback if any, provided that the quiz review options are properly set. smile