Creating multiple copies of a calculated ques

Creating multiple copies of a calculated ques

by jeff ciaccio -
Number of replies: 7

I would like to create quizzes that have several addition problems for example, but I would like to just create one calculated question type and then have the quiz duplicate the question but use different parameter values for each question.  Is there a way to do that?  

For example, I have a question: Add  {a} + {b}

Ans: {a}+{b} 100% 

Do I need to copy this question over and over or is there a way to automate this?  

Thanks! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jeff ciaccio

Re: Creating multiple copies of a calculated ques

by Pierre Pichet -
Hi Jeff,
I you want more than one question in a given quiz, you need to create them as a given question cannot be repeated in a quiz.
As you don't want the same data, you create a first calculated question with the maximum number of data items i.e. 100.
Then you reedit this question and save it as A NEW QUESTION.
On the third step when the datasets are edited, you delete the preceeding values and create new ones. Don't forget te set the creation option to NEW values.
Pierre
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by jeff ciaccio -

mixed  OK, Thanks Pierre.  That wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but I guess it'll work.  

In reply to jeff ciaccio

by Isabelle Payne -

I am running into the same problem.  I have not found an automated solution yet, but using the "simple calculate" question type rather than "calculated" makes the manual duplication of questions faster since it then takes only two mouse clicks.  Create a simple calculate question as you've described, then in your question bank click on the edit symbol for the question, scroll all the way down, click "make copy".  I've used this to create multiplication speed drills with 12 different levels.  I would love to export my questions in order to switch with someone who has done the same for addition, subtraction, or division.

I hope this helps!

In reply to Isabelle Payne

by Kingsley Udeh -

I'm facing a related challenge. I 've not been able to create simple calculated questions successfully. I have posted my concerns several times on this forum, but have not got any headway yet. I have upgraded from Moodle 2.2 to 2.2.1, yet the issue remains the same.

I wish to created for example, a simple calculated question: surface area of a rectangle with parameters: {b} and {h}, which will be randomized with different values for the variables b and h, automatically, say for 10 different sets

Correct Answer: {b}*{h}

Unfortunately, after creating the question, when I edit the created quiz, I wouldn't see the question. If I tried to preview the question, I would get an error as  no question has been added yet to the quiz.

What am I doing wrong? Could anyone help, please.

Thanks in advance.

Kingsley.

In reply to Kingsley Udeh

by Pierre Pichet -

As I wrote on the other thread DO NOT use the ADD QUESTION button on the quiz editing.

Use the CREATE QUESTION button on the question bank interface.

nce the question is created ( the 3 stpes for calcualted, one step for the calculated simple, use de < arrow to add the question in the quiz.

The related bug has been solved yesterday so you can update to this last version.

Practice on the moodle demo site http://demo.moodle.net and report any problem.

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Ben Brown -

I first began using Moodle in 2005. I gave up using Moodle because I couldn't believe it did not have the feature I see people looking for here. Why can Moodle not be configured to automatically create multiple copies of the same question using random numbers? It seems to be such a no-brainer.

In reply to Ben Brown

by Pierre Pichet -

"same question using random numbers"

I would say mainly because random numbers will generate random responses and some of them could give with a given

formula invalid responses.

This is why the responses from the various the datasets values can be checked by the teacher.

There is no easy way to analyze that a given formula will not give a bad result even without math error like divide by zero, as the result could be a nonsense.  

Otherwise if you use the questions for training and in which case there is no real problem if one of the question repeat itself you could use the following process.

Use calculated simple to create a first question in an empty category.

Save it

Edit , generate new values, save a new.

Repeat the process to obtain say 10 questions which then contain different data (given you 1000 variants).

Then export these questions and reimport them in the same category so you have a total of 20 questions.

Repeat you have 40 questions.

Then you build your quiz using 10 random questions. 

The probability that a given student has 2 identical set of values is low but, I agree, not zero.

However you could experiment by creating even calculated questions using a spreadsheet and import them in moodle.

Pierre

P.S. Core question types should be as fool-proof as possible.

P.S. Look at the new numeric question types from OU.