MP3 files don't play with mplayer

MP3 files don't play with mplayer

by Doug Moody -
Number of replies: 9

The graphic below shows the problem. All that shows is the link to the file. It opens Windows Media Player to play. I simply want them to click on a player interface to listen to the file. All plugins are turned on. I am running Moodle 2.1 latest.

I am out of ideas. Read all docs, but no luck. PLEASE tell me what I am missing!

MP3 wont play

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Moody

Re: MP3 files don't play with mplayer

by Joseph Rézeau -
Core developersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Particularly helpful Moodlersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Plugin developersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Testersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Translatorsನ ಚಿತ್ರ

@Doug: unfortunately you do not say HOW you placed the link to that mp3 file in your Chat introduction. The attached screenshot shows how you should view the integrated Moodle 2.1 Flash MP3 player.

But first of all, you should have enabled the media players in your site's admin settings.

That's at:  ► Site administration ► Plugins ► Filters ► Manage filters

Multimedia plugins ON

Joseph

PS.- You mistakenly posted this to the Lesson forum. You should have posted it to the relevant Chat forum. But it does not matter, since the problem is neither Lesson nor Chat related, it's related to the Multimedia filtering feature.smile

Attachment 04-08-2011 23-33-52.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Doug Moody -

Joseph,

Thank you for taking your time. I don't ask these questions lightly, because I REALLY value your time, and all the other posters too.

I had already checked the multimedia settings. prior to asking this question. Everything is as it should be there.

You asked me HOW I placed the link. I clicked on the Moodle Media icon, went to the file picker, chose the file from my own local machine, uploaded it, and placed it in line with the text.

There is another place where I have an avatar, and I included the MP3 file string as a link inside the graphic, so when people click on the avatar, it plays the audio. But it still displays the WM player in a separate window to play it. I much prefer the small Flash FLV player (mplayer?) inline with the text. Its cleaner and better.

Please, any more ideas?

In reply to Doug Moody

by Joseph Rézeau -
Core developersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Particularly helpful Moodlersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Plugin developersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Testersನ ಚಿತ್ರ Translatorsನ ಚಿತ್ರ

Hi Doug! Try the following...

1. check that Flash is enabled in your browser, i.e. can you view the MP3 flash player and listen to this audio:
  2. on your moodle site, in a test course not open to students, create a resource of the "page" type and insert an MP3 file
  3. what do you see when you insert the file? when you save and view that page?
  4. at the stage where you insert the file,in the Insert/edit embedded media, can you see a media player, e.g. the quicktime media player (if you have quicktime installed on your machine), as in attached screenshot?
  5. failing all this, if your site is online, please contact me to give me teacher access to a test course on your site (contact me at my email address in my profile).

Joseph

Attachment 05-08-2011 08-39-34.jpg

by Doug Moody -

Hi Joseph,

I did as you suggested, and had some success -- sort of...

Perhaps the screenshots below will explain. Basically, the top screen shows how the code for the MP3 files differ. Notice that the top one is added via the code picker. It uses draftfile.php to direct to the actual file.

The bottom screen shows a direct URL link to the MP3 file. When done that way, the Flash player displays and functions properly.

I suspect the problem is in the draftfile.php file. There is some chatter about draftfile.php on the support forums, but nothing definitive. Besides, I am confused by what they are saying. Is it s abug or not? Am I doing something wrong? I don't think so.

What do you think?

Thanks

In reply to Doug Moody

by Joseph Rézeau -

See point #5 in my previous post.

Joseph

by Doug Moody -

Hi Joseph,

I set access for you as teacher. You should have received an email from me.

Thank you!!!!

Doug

In reply to Doug Moody

by Chizzy Ngulube -

Hi there,

We currently having similar issues, have you made any progress with a solution or work around

Thanks

Chizzy

In reply to Chizzy Ngulube

by Joseph Rézeau -

Further to private exchange with Doug we have not been able to find the reason for the bug he is experiencing on his moodle site. I cannot reproduce it on my moodle 2 test site.

Joseph

by Doug Moody -

Chizzy,

I do have it working now, but cannot say with certainty what was causing it. I DO know that slasharguments had to be turned off. It will never work unless they are.

You didn't say if you even have a player progress bar displaying or not. My problem initially wouldn't even display this bar. But once it did, the audio wouldn't play and there was no time display as to how long the file was.

I ended up reinstalling Moodle. BUT, a straight install into an existing Moodle database never worked. Instead, I found out that I had to install version 2.0.3 to a fresh database, THEN install 2.1.1 using the database created under 2.0.3. When I did it this way, everythign started working. However, if I tried installing 2.1.1 directly, and bypassed the 2.0.3 step, it wouldn't work correctly.

I really think that the problem stems from a corrupt database. So, start fresh, and once you get it working, then restore courses from an older version. Worked for me!