Site-wide (Universal) Enrolment Key (Moodle 2.0)

Site-wide (Universal) Enrolment Key (Moodle 2.0)

by Francois Evans -
Number of replies: 3

Can any mega-Moodlers advise?...

I've a set up comprising many courses and instead of setting one enrolment key per course, would like to set up a site-wide enrolment key. I have been through Alex Büchner's Moodle Administration and Mary Cooch's Moodle 2.0 First Look texts, and cannot find such a facility mentioned. Is it possible, or do I have to go through every course setting the enrolment key separately and manually? dead

With kind thanks,

François.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francois Evans

Re: Site-wide (Universal) Enrolment Key (Moodle 2.0)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi theresmile I don't know of a way you can have a single enrolment key as default in all the courses - is that what you mean? But  I was wondering what it;s worth would be since once a student had entered it in one course they could use it for all the other courses anyway. DId you mean something different  -ie - a key stopping them getting into Moodle at all before they add the enrolment key? In which case - just a thought -I was wondering if we could tweak the site policy requirement somehow to do what you want? Maybe if you could give a few more details someone could come up with a solution.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francois Evans -

Hello Mary,

Thank you for your fantastic and much appreciated work.

We don't mind if students can browse other courses. Your points are very valid.

On our system, things have been set up with degree programmes as child courses onto which students can enrol. Separate courses making up those degree programmes have been set up as appropriately-linked metacourses. In this way, when a student enrols on a degree programme, they are automatically enrolled onto its associated courses. A diagram of the kind of set up we have is shown in Fig. 3 here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=181297

When students first register as users of the Moodle site (set up a user account), we would like for there to be one enrolment key (password) which they use in registering to gain access to the whole Moodle site. Once registered, the idea is that students would be trusted to sign up for the (child course) degree programme they were taking; and would have the option of visiting other courses as guests only.

As such, yes, it is a 'single enrolment key as default in all the courses' that I was looking for.

If this is not possible, then I will have to set things up so that only students with university domain email accounts are accepted (I read somewhere that that is possible to do).

With kind thaanks for your advice.

François.

In reply to Francois Evans

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi again - yes it is easy to set up Moodle so that only students with university domain email accounts are accepted - you do this via site admin>plugins>authentication>manage authentication- then you scroll down to the bottom of the screen (almost) where there is a box "allowed email domains".