Databases: Interbase

Databases: Interbase

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 4
We would like to use an Interbase server for Moodle. Given that Moodle does all its database stuff through ADOdb, should this work immediately? Probably not, otherwise this forum about database schemas would't exist. What exactly needs to be done?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: Databases: Interbase

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You have to define your database type as "ibase" in config.php for a start:

http://moodle.org/lib/adodb/docs-adodb.htm#drivers

Currently you also need to duplicate the mysql.sql files in lib/db/mysql.sql and mod/*/db/mysql.sql and create equivalent ibase.sql files that work.

For upgrades we need to maintain ibase.php files in the same places (these run SQL statements to upgrade tables from one version to the next).

I am hoping to move soon to the Data Dictionary stuff: http://moodle.org/lib/adodb/docs-datadict.htm
which would hopefully make all of this unnecessary.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Gustav W Delius -
It would appear to be a waste of time to create all those ibase.sql and ibase.php files. Creating the DataDictionaries should be just as easy.

What is your time frame for this? If you like, we would be willing to help.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's way down on my list, unfortunately - next year?

If you could help by converting the .sql files into that XML format that would be a HUGE contribution - I could do the rest fairly quickly I think.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Michael Blackledge -

I'm very happy with Moodle's performance using MySQL, but the boss wants to use Interbase. Are there any suggestions for making the ibase.sql files? Would I need to add a connection string at the beginning of every file?

CONNECT 'c:\ibasedbs\tutorial.gdb' USER 'SYSDBA' PASSWORD '...';