How to highlight the current topic in the header of collapsed topics format?

How to highlight the current topic in the header of collapsed topics format?

by Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all,

Is it possible with the collapsed topics format to highlight the topic header of the current topic especially when the topic is still closed? This would help students to see in the course layout, which topic they should open.

Using the lightbulb in a topic section is not reflected in the topic header. I am using Moodle 2.0.3 with the Aardvark-Makeover theme.

With kind regards,
Hartmut

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: How to highlight the current topic in the header of collapsed topics format?

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi all,

Here is another attempt to indicate the current topic in collapsed topics course format. I uploaded arrow_up_current.png and arrow_down_current.png. How can they be displayed in the current topic? The screenshot below shows what I would like to accomplish, but I lack the knowledge of php language to change the lines in format.php

Can someone help me, please?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Attachment Current topic with green arrow down.jpg

Re: How to highlight the current topic in the header of collapsed topics format?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Hartmut,

This is a harder problem to solve than at first appearances.

The current topic is indicated in format.php by the variable '$currenttopic' as a boolean.  Which needs to be passed to the JavaScript, so 'toggleexacttopic(target,image,toggleNum,reloading)' needs changing as well as 'toggle_topic(toggler,toggleNum)' calling it to reflect the use of a the new toggle image for the current section and then recompiled with the YUI compressor.  Then in 'format.php' '$currenttopic' used to apply a class css selector so that 'topics_collapsed' could have a selector of 'tr.cps td a.current' which overrid 'tr.cps td a' with a new background attribute indicating the new toggle image.

This would be a few hours work for me including testing that to be honest I do not have time for due to work pressures.  I'm behind on the AJAX fix (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-2975) at the moment and transitioning to Git.  But if you paid me to do the change then that would be a different matter.

If you have a go and make it work, please send me the code so I can itegrate it into the release.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Hartmut Scherer -

Dear Gareth,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and also for outlining necessary changes. This surely helps. As a workaround I told the instructor to add "Current" to the section title that she has selected as current topic.

I am sorry to tell you that although I appreciate you work, I can't offer you any payment. If I get closer to a solution, I will post it in this forum. Thanks again for your response.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Hartmut,

No worries.  It's a good idea and given time I know I could make it work.

Cheers,

Gareth