Restoring book content from 1.9.4 to 2.1+

Restoring book content from 1.9.4 to 2.1+

by Nathan Cobb -
Number of replies: 14

Hi

We're running the latest weekly release of Moodle 2.1.  I'm trying to restore a course containing some books.  Unfortunately the books aren't coming across at the moment.  The book module is installed on the 2.1 version and it appears to be working fine for creating a new book.

Any thoughts on what the reason might be?  Would there be value in me updating the book module on our old moodle to the latest version of 1.9 and trying again?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Cobb

Re: Restoring book content from 1.9.4 to 2.1+

by Daniel Schimrik -

Hi,

We do have exactly the same problem. We have several courses created with Moodle 1.9 containing multiple books.

On our new Moodle 2.1 it is not possible to restore books by using course backup within 1.9 and restore under 2.1.

Is there any possibility to use these old books in Moodle 2.x-versions? Is an upgrade from Moodle 1.9 to 2.0 also upgrading the book to 2.0 or will it be left out of the upgrade?

Regards, Daniel

In reply to Daniel Schimrik

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,
did you try the latest version from https://github.com/skodak/moodle-mod_book/commits/master ?

Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Daniel Schimrik -

Hello Petr,

Thank you for the link. I tried the latest version from Github and an import of a simple book (without images) worked so far very well.

Regards, Daniel

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Nathan Cobb -

Hi Petr

Like Daniel, that seems to have sorted me out.  I'm still struggling with uploading the course files which are linked to but overall it's all good.

Many thanks

Nathan

In reply to Nathan Cobb

by Vicki Dunnam -

I was able to download petr files by clicking on his site and clickign on a tab called sources and clicked download

I had already downloaded book to my moodle 2.1.  I just copied his files into my existing book folder and all worked great.   Ihave been able to restore a course with books and it works great.

If you need to contact me  dunnam.vicki@mcm.edu

In reply to Daniel Schimrik

by Vicki Dunnam -

I need the new mod_book.  I went to your website but wasn't sure where to find the folder with the files. 

In reply to Nathan Cobb

by Michael Massey -

I hope peter is still watching this threat I have the same issue.

If I do an upgrade books works fine but when I do an upgrade I have other issues.  So I tried a fresh install but books did not get back up from old server to new server.

If a just backup the 1.9.7 course if their anyway to bring that content to a fresh install on moodle 2.1 and get books working.

We have 800+ books on the old server and I think my moodle content manager is going to kill me if I have to tell her to recreate all those 800+ links and books.

----

just to make it clearer

I want to backup all files/ databases ect from 1.9

import them changes into 2.1 fresh install with the lastest version of books installed.

without doing an inplace upgrade. Possible?

In reply to Michael Massey

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,
this should be finally fixed in latest 2.1beta, please test and report issues at https://github.com/skodak/moodle-mod_book/issues

Ciao,
Petr
In reply to Petr Skoda

by M. V.W. -

Hi Petr,

I am currently using Book version 2.0rc with Moodle 2.1.1+.  The book module is working just fine.  I'm wondering what would be the advantage to upgrading to Book 2.1beta1.  Are there any new features we should be aware of?

Thanks!

- Mark

In reply to M. V.W.

by Petr Skoda -
In reply to Petr Skoda

by M. V.W. -

Thanks!  One more question.  We use the search_books plug-in, which works perfectly with Books 2.0.  Do you happen to know if the plugin still works with the new 2.1beta version of books?

In reply to M. V.W.

by Petr Skoda -
There was only one DB change, but it should not affect the book search block, so yes it should work as before.
In reply to Petr Skoda

by John Andrewartha -

The Docs suggest exporting Books to IMS and then with a couple of tweeks Importing them into the new module.

Can some one help with exactly what the tweeks are? Please.