Problems when upgrading from 2.0 to 2.0.2

Problems when upgrading from 2.0 to 2.0.2

by Marco Roberto -
Number of replies: 3

So, I noticed that fantastico said that a update was availiable for moodle, and decided to do it, in hope of curing the language pack instalation hang that used to happen.

Now im locked out of my moodle, because it keeps asking for upgrades to the server, most of which I already done. I'm not entirely sure that he is in fact cheking for the changes, because he always conplains about the same stuff, even if I already did the changes.

unicode   must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled

It is required that you store all your data in Unicode format (UTF-8). New installations must be performed into databases that have their default character set as Unicode. If you are upgrading, you should perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page).

Check
php_extension zip must be installed and enabledmust be installed and enabled

The Zip PHP extension is now required by Moodle, info-ZIP binaries or PclZip library are not used anymore.

Check
php_extension xmlrpc should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results

The xmlrpc extension is needed for hub communication, and useful for web services and Moodle networking

Check
php_extension soap should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results

Installing the optional soap extension is useful for web services and some contrib modules.

Check
php_extension intl should be installed and enabled for best resultsshould be installed and enabled for best results

Intl extension is used to improve internationalization support, such as locale aware sorting.

Check

There are the errors he sees, and I worked on most of them, especially the first 2. One of them requires to mess with the php.ini, and I had to contact my host to make the change, so im fairly sure it's good (got an email confirming the change and everything).

I also did try a new instalation with the 2.0.2 (in the same server) and noticed that everything is working, so either the changes are already done and the old moodle isnt assuming them, or the changes aren't really vital to have moodle running.

Can anyone help me? I wouldnt mind a roll back to 2.0 to get rid of these errors, but for some reason I assume that's not possible (without losing info). Either that of "saving" the courses I already did and pass them off to the new instalation (The moodle I did isnt active yet, so there are no users, I just had some work doing the courses and dont want to lose them).

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marco Roberto

Re: Problems when upgrading from 2.0 to 2.0.2

by Marco Roberto -

Bump.

Please help me out.

Thank you.

by Guillermo Madero -

Do you have access to your server (like via cpanel) and to your DB (via phpmyadmin)?

The first error can be fixed by converting your DB to UTF-8.

About the zip extension, you can check by creating, at your document root directory, an "info.php" file with the following line in it:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

and then accessing it via your browser (yourdomain.com/info.php). Almost at the end of the report there should be a "Zip" section saying that Zip is enabled.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a bit odd because Moodle 2.0 would not have installed/worked with those settings incorrect.

You can roll back simply by returning to the old code... the above tends to indicate that the upgrade processing hasn't started yet.

Assuming this isn't Windows - the missing modules either require an rebuild of PHP or the missing modules to be installed - it's impossible to be more precise but your hosts should be able to sort that.

The database problem is *often* sorted by (in the MySQL command line)...

ALTER DATABASE moodle DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci;

However, I don't know how much access you have to do that.