ldap authentication for moodle 2.1

ldap authentication for moodle 2.1

by elmeser elmeser -
Number of replies: 11

hi,

in my organization we had moodle v.1.94 , and we used an outsourcing company to sync the ldap with moodle, and till now it worked perfectly.

recently we bought a new server and installed the new ver of moodle (2.1

and we want to use the ldap as well ..so i copied the configurations from Administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication

. to the same place in the moodle2   

so now it looks the same as the old moodle Manage authentication.

Unfortunately it dosent work , do i need to configure something else ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to elmeser elmeser

Re: ldap authentication for moodle 2.1

by John Deery -

What type of LDAP are you using? And can you confirm that the paths you are using are correct and working?

A quick search found this tool for ldap browsing: http://jxplorer.org/. We use MS Active Directory, so using a tool to verify the paths/username/password etc for ldap browsing saved a bunch of time and effort.

In reply to John Deery

תשובה ל: Re: ldap authentication for moodle 2.1

by elmeser elmeser -

hi john,

thank you for your answer!

but i am pritty sure that the paths are correct since i copied them from ver 1.9

and it works there.

when i look at the Manage authentication the ldap is enabled but when i look at the

PLUGINS OVERVIEW it says disable

i can i make it enabled(clicking on it doesnt work) ?

תשובה ל: Re: ldap authentication for moodle 2.1

by elmeser elmeser -

ok....thank u all, it works!!!!!

now i can log in with any user from the ldap!

the only problem now is that if chose

i can see only the users that loged in before, can i have an option to see all the users even if they never loged in before?

Re: תשובה ל: Re: ldap authentication for moodle 2.1

by John Deery -

From what I can tell, no. What the plug-in does is it allows a user to log in and, if they are new, it will authenticate them against an LDAP and then grab their details from the LDAP and populate the moodle user table with that information. Then, on subsequent logins, it will just check the supplied name and password against the ldap before logging them in.

In reply to John Deery

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can also run auth/ldap/cli/sync_users.php to add *every* user from your configured LDAP contexts to Moodle, even if they don't log in wink

Saludos.
Iñaki.

by Atul Runthala -

I am facing same problem with LDAP ...please tell me abt it.

by Vladislav Tolar -

Hello,

I have same problem when I look at the "Manage authentication", the ldap is enabled, but when I look at the "Plugins overview" - it disable. I try to save in "Manage authentication" LDAP to enabled. But in "Plugins overview" doesn't change.

I solve the task "users access via LDAP". My users can't use Moodle now.

Thanks for your answer.

In reply to Vladislav Tolar

by Martin Burrow -

Hi, I am still unclear if it is important that in PLUGINS OVERVIEW it says LDAP auth disabled??   Even though I have it enabled in MANAGE AUTHENTICATION.   Can anyone help?

In reply to Martin Burrow

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's *not* important (current as of 2.1.x, I haven't had a look at 2.2.x yet) that LDAP appears as disabled in the PLUGINS OVERVIEW page (This is actually a bug).

It *is* important that LDAP appears as enabled in MANAGE AUTHENTICATION page. If it doesn't, the LDAP authentication is not enabled at all.

Saludos.
Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Iñaki Arenaza -
This bug is also present in master (what will eventually be 2.2). I've opened a bug request for this: MDL-29967

Saludos.
Iñaki.
In reply to John Deery

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.