edit button disappeared

edit button disappeared

by Matt Drury -
Number of replies: 8

What's happened?!!

A course creator created a course, put some stuff on there and suddenly next time he logs on the "turn editing on" button has gone.  I can't see anything in the settings and he can edit every other parallell course under the parent category.

Even deleting the course in question and creating a new one in its place doesn't work - he can't edit this either.

The same goes for other course creators who should have access to this one course.

What's going on?

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Drury

Re: edit button disappeared

by Matt Drury -

Further to this, I tried deleting the user's account and having him reregister and reassigning him to the courses in question. 

But now he can't edit anything, even with COURSE CREATOR access across the board! 

Any clues anyone?

Cheers

In reply to Matt Drury

by ben reynolds -

Matt,

You don't say what version you are using. In 2+, there's a capability report.

Home
    / ? Site administration
    / ? Users
    / ? Permissions
    / ? Capability report

In 1.9 you would have to install the thing.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Matt Drury -

Ben,

Thanks for your comment - it's 1.9.  Sorry, could you specify what it is I have to install?  Are you referring to a plug-in or are you talking about reinstalling the whole thing?

In reply to Matt Drury

by Matt Drury -

Also, I just performed a "reset to defaults" on the Course Creator role.  Still no joy.

*crosses fingers for some divine intervention*

In reply to Matt Drury

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

He won't be able to edit courses he hasn't created - have you got him to make a course -or logged in as him and made a course -and can he now edit that or not?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

Mary,

I just found an old roles thread where you followed me smile

Actually, that old thread talks about why course creator is such a bad role. Matt, just make your course creator into a teacher.

Mary, I was trying to find the capability/permission calculator that, I think, John Isner made that helps with figuring out http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/How_permissions_are_calculated

In reply to ben reynolds

by Matt Drury -

Thanks Ben - I'm not sure this is the end of the affair but it certainly solves the issue for the short term!

Thanks again.

In reply to Matt Drury

by ben reynolds -

I was stuck for about 4 months as course creator, and it was the most frustrating experience. I never knew what I could and couldn't do. It was like being a grad student TA -- all responsibility but no authority.