2.0.3 --> 2.1, how to upgrade PHP?

2.0.3 --> 2.1, how to upgrade PHP?

by Joseph Heekin -
Number of replies: 3

I feel like I should have been able to figure this out but perhaps I do not understand what's going on here as well as I thought!

Anyway, I am currently running I suppose a "test" installation of Moodle on my own computer (so, accessible on "localhost") and I would like to upgrade to 2.1. Of course when I upgrade (from 2.0.3) following the normal upgrade instructions with the 2.1 files, it tells me I need to upgrade PHP.

This is where I am not sure what to do. I have tried a couple of things--downloading the PHP installer and installing the new version straight into the PHP directory in server\php and also downloading the Windows package and just copying over the php folder in there. When I try to install the new version straight to that folder, I get an error about PHP not being configured to run with MySQLi, despite the fact that in the php.ini file that line with the extension is already uncommented.

When I copy the folder straight from the Moodle Windows package, I get about 30 messages along the lines of "PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '\xampp\php\ext\php_gettext.dll' - File not found."

I've searched quite a bit for information, but it either didn't apply or was a bit over my head. Any tips?

Thanks,

Joseph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Heekin

Re: 2.0.3 --> 2.1, how to upgrade PHP?

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The Moodle 2.1 for Windows package from http://download.moodle.org/windows/ says that it's based on XAMPP 1.7.4, which comes with PHP 5.3.5.  Upgrading to this package should give you everything you need.

I've not used it myself, but I'd suggest you backup your database and files from the dataroot folder, then install the new Moodle for Windows package and restore the database and files, and run the upgrade.

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Joseph.. mmm it is a nuisance, I know, but believe me, it is worth the effort.

Download from the Zend site, the ZIP version of the VC9 and ssl of  PHP5.3.6. I know that sounds a little vague but...work with me here!!!

You may need to track down the MS Visual C v9  runtime updates and install them in the appropriate manner.

Depending on your server, IIS uses the -nts- version and Apache does not. . "Non-thread safe" that is.

Unzip the folder, edit the php.ini distrib file to reflect what you need for your install. DO NOT overwrite your existing PHP, just rename it and the next install should just slide into the gap. You may need to re-edit the Path statement... That should get you going...  

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Joseph.. mmm it is a nuisance, I know, but believe me, it is worth the effort.

Download from the Zend site, the ZIP version of the VC9 and ssl of  PHP5.3.6. I know that sounds a little vague but...work with me here!!!

You may need to track down the MS Visual C v9  runtime updates and install them in the appropriate manner.

Depending on your server, IIS uses the -nts- version and Apache does not. . "Non-thread safe" that is.

Unzip the folder, edit the php.ini distrib file to reflect what you need for your install. DO NOT overwrite your existing PHP, just rename it and the next install should just slide into the gap. You may need to re-edit the Path statement... That should get you going...