moodle 2.1 HTML editor gone?

moodle 2.1 HTML editor gone?

by Luis Pinheiro -
Number of replies: 20

Dear all,

I've just installed mOodle 2.1 but the html editor seems to be gone. All I have in its place is a plain text box. How do I fix that?

Many thanks in advance,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luis Pinheiro

Re: moodle 2.1 HTML editor gone?

by Luis Pinheiro -

Never mind. Figured it all. Module html. Must turn off the plain text option.

Duh.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Luis Pinheiro

by JF Dragon -

Hi Luis,

That's one way, but I think you can also try to put TinyMCE HTML editor on top of the of the "Available text editors" (in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Text editors > Manage editors).

See you

JF

In reply to JF Dragon

by HJWUCGA INC. -

I too have just installed a fresh 2.1.1 stable release (today, sept 16, 2011)...

But the editor still does not show up =(

I don't get it... why doesn't it show up?

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by HJWUCGA INC. -

Nope, still does not show up... what could be wrong?

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm there is a couple of possibilities...

One is... Do you have a drop down box at the bottom left corner, under "Path: x" that says "HTML Format"? If not, go to the next step, if it is, then go to the third step. Don't play around with it, you can waste too much time on it. 

Another is: Go to Site Administration > Plugins > Text Editors >Manage Editors and look for the active editors. The first on the list should be "TinyMCE HTML Editor" and the eye should be open. If it is not, then click on the closed eye and then set it to be first by clicking the Up/Down arrows. You may eed to get it going by going into the TinyMCE settings, but it should be OK as is.

Last: If it is still not showing, go back to your installation files and extract the TinyMCE Editor files. In your Moodle /lib/editor folder and you will find the tinymce folder. Delete it and replace it with the newly extracted one. Return to Moodle, click on Notifications and there should be some notice it is there. Go to Site Administration > Plugins > Text Editors >Manage Editors  and activate the TinyMCE editor. You should then get it going.

Cheers...

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Paul Preen -

Just install Moodle 2.1.1+ the HTML editor has disappeared too when using Firefox. It works well on IE after refreshing the browser. It's strange as the editor worked fine with earlier versions of Moodle 2.1 on both browsers and works on this forum.

Afraid, I followed all the advice, but nothing worked.

Hopefully, someone will sort it out soon.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by HJWUCGA INC. -

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked.

I do have "HTML" format drop down selected and the TinyMCE was activated already and I even hid the textarea/text one!

By the way, what do you mean by going back to install files and extracting the tinymce files? My original install files were .tgz ... do you mean to install them without the tinymce and then add it? Then click on the Notifications?

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Colin Fraser -

Sorry, I assumed that it was Windows Server that you were using, ergo, a zip file. Extracting from a tgz file is no great drama either. Extract to a local machine then ftp into the lib/editor folder the tinymce folder from the extracted files.

If it still does not work then it is has to be another issue, perhaps a server issue, or a setting has been turned off. Have you looked in Moodle Tracker? Fixes for a lot of these things have been made and placed in Moodle Tracker, or links to the fixes have. There is also the update to a more recent release, the latest one is still less than 24 hours old (10hrs 17min at time of this post). You can update without compromising your current Moodle, but there is a possibility the error could survive the update if it is a file that does not require updating. Also, the TinyMCE editor has been known to turn off, then turn back on again, for no discernible reason, weird but true.

There is also the possibility that you can, if you have the time, replace your current install from the same extracted files one folder at a time. Replace Admin folder, then themes folder, then lib folder, they are the more critical folders I would suggest. If you test after every replacement, you can see if the editor is behaving. (I am not at my server and cannot look at it remotely for the moment, so I cannot look to see if there is anything more critical than these three folders.) 

Another thought... what theme are you using? Is it home made, third party or a standard theme. Just test another theme, if you are not using a standard theme, only take a few seconds and you can go back if it does not change anything and it may save you time if you refresh one folder at a time.   

EDIT: I just noticed the post from Paul, so it is possible that someone has turned something off affecting FireFox... then did not turn it back on again. This happened a number of times earlier in v2.0.0 to v2.0.2, different things of course but it meant later releases fixed those issues. It might just be sometihng like that. But check Moodle Tracker any way.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by HJWUCGA INC. -

Hi Colin,

I am on Linux (Redhat enterprise with php 5.3.x and apache 2.2).

The theme I use is just the basic and even that does not work.

I'm on Moodle 2.1 (Sept 16, 2011) stable release.

Maybe I'll try and just delete the tinymce folder and upload it from my local machine instead of unzipping it on the server. Don't know why it would make a difference but you never know.

I don't know what the server could have turned off as the old moodle we had on the same server , 1.9.6 was working fine with an editor on it.

I'll check moodle tracker again.

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Colin Fraser -

mmm I am not aware of any issues with RedHat Enterprise and TinyMCE.. but there may be. Best if you cannot find a relevant issue in Moodle Tracker then you may want to start one. The upload from a local machine is a good strategy for checking if there is an issue with the code in that folder, that is usually amongst the first things I do. It refreshes the code and if there is an issue with the older code, then it is just deleted, and the new code kicks in and works, but it does not go further up.

You may want to download and install a newer theme, nothing overly fancy, have a look for different ones and try them. You should have on your local machine a copy of your production site to try things there before doing the on your site. Self protection.

You may also be interested in Mauno Korpelainen's Advanced Maths Tools, SEE, so download the package, install it to your local machine, test it, see how it can work for you. It can do such things as Graphing and Comparative analysis, spreadsheets and all sorts that current Maths tools cannot. It also uses a very much revamped TinyMCE and other tools, which may, or may not, be of great interest to an accountant. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by HJWUCGA INC. -

Nope ... I re-uploaded a copy and still the same problem

driving us nuts =(

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Colin Fraser -

Damn.. that should have worked.... Dunno... then there has to be a config problem somewhere. Or a code issue. Or a server issue, unlikely but you never know. 

<q class="strawgrasping">Did you restart your Moodle?<\q> 

<q class="rhetorical">When you post here, are you getting the full tinyMCE editor interface? If you are, then what is different here to your installation?</q>

Of course, you can always download the latest version and update/replace your code. Unzip over the top of it. The only file that should remain unaffected would be the config.php file. I would suggest replace it, delete all the code and just FTP your new code in.

Better still, recognising that the only file that does not change is the config.php file, you can upload, (FTP?), your test Moodle code by deleting the existing code and replacing it with fresh code altogether. You test to see if the tinyMCE editor is working properly on the local machine first. Just make sure you do not overwrite your config.php file. 

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Some ideas to continue:

- if you see the editor here but not in your moodle 2 it's not a browser issue and most likely some local (java)script is breaking the code of your editor. In that case do you see any errors for example in FF error console or other (browsers) debugging?

- for example google analytics code and some other local javascripts in the wrong place can break editor code. Check your custom scripts.

- if you don't get any errors you might have editor disabled in your user profile (When editing text-Use standard web forms)

- mixing code from different versions of moodle or different versions of tinymce can break scripts - or for example editing lib/editor/tinymce/lib.php (some tiny error there...missing character or extra character)

... and many other possible reasons ...

Do you have any link (demo site)  to visit?

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by HJWUCGA INC. -

Hello Mauno,

When I visit our older moodle (1.9.6) on the same server, we don't have problems seeing the rich text editor.

I did think about maybe the local js has broken ...it shows in IE .. and it's there once the page loads after login

Line:23

Character: 1905

Error: unspecified error

Code: 0

URL: http://www.ourmoodle.com

My line 23 does not contain 1905 characters though

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.ourmoodle.com/theme/javascript.php?theme=standard&amp;rev=186&amp;type=head"></script>

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

There are many ways to find out where that error comes from. For example if you have IE8 or IE9 press F12 to get the Developer tools and press Start script debugging. Or in Firefox you can find error console from Tools menu or press CTRL+SHIFT+J to get it. Or in Chrome use mouse right click - Inspect element and check if you see any script errors or try to run audits...

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by HJWUCGA INC. -

Still no success ... uninstalled and installed even the latest release...

same error message ...

argh

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

I don't understand why you are uninstalling and installing the 2.1 version again and again (is it the 10th trial already?)

If your 2.1 site clearly has some error messages you just need to check where they come from... it is that simple wide eyes

That's why sites and browsers have debugging for...

by Colin Fraser -

mm that would probably be my responsibility Mauno. sad  Would the error more likely to be in the php setup? v1.9 HTMLArea is working, v2.1 TimyMCE is not. What is called in TinyMCE that is not in HTMLArea? I really do not know enough about the coding behind either to make that sort of connection.. Standard installs cannot all have the same corrupted code string so for me, it is highly suggestive of an environmental issue. I doubt a server would have this kind of impact, possibly but a long shot, ergo, PHP has some involvement, so is it a dll or a version issue? What is different? Is there something done while installing and configuring by the tech that has an impact? I cannot recall making any setting that would manually select the default editor during installation or configuring of 2.1. So I keep coming back to environment.     

EDIT: the Error Console of both IE and Firefox are likely to throw up a lot of errors that are not related to this. Perhaps a comparitive list may help? 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mauno Korpelainen -

My guess (without seeing the error debugging) is that either there is something in that site configuration that breaks code of moodle 2.1 but does not break code of moodle 1.9.6 - for example requirements of moodle 2.1 are not fullfilled (versions and settings of php and database) or javascripts of moodle 2.1 get broken by some other local javascript or some external javascript that can't be loaded.

Error console gives lots of css warnings but usually only few actual errors - and these errors usually cause the other javascript problems because scripts stop running...

If it is a new package the only modified file is most likely config.php and then the cause of problems is often the text editor that people use in editing paths of config.php - in moodle 1.9 this used to be a problem when people saved config.php in wrong format (utf-8 with BOM when it should have been an ANSI file) or text editor added white spaces and empty lines to the end or beginning of config.php

In moodle 2 the end tags ?> were taken away to prevent this kind of issues but it is still possible to add something to the beginning of config.php before the first <?php or for example use old config.php with end tag and save it in the wrong format or with white spaces...

Or sometimes people themselves add rubbish to their files - some characters that break code (quotes and so on) - or some characters are missing ( ; )  - or they accidentally uncomment some comments that break code. Or they use/mix files from other versions of moodle or tinymce that do not work with current code.

In the past I sometimes had problems with downloading the packages with different methods - in Windows some programs may change all the files of your downloaded moodle package (change line ends of files) or people may upload files in wrong format to their servers with wrong settings of ftp programs (auto/ascii/binary) and in some cases wrong file type/format can mean that files don't work at all like you think they should. So selecting good tools for your testing environment can have impact...

If config.php is not the only edited file or if there are some non core things included - for example in themes - they are possible causes of errors.

And there may be lots of other possible reasons - you never know before you actually see the case online or offline... sometimes it is impossible to guess the reasons because people just tell that "I have the same problem - what can I do?" even if their problem can be totally different... smile

by HJWUCGA INC. -

versions of php and database meet or exceed the requirements ..

I think it's related tha we cannot use the upload feature also

still stump =(