Record only first attempt in Gradebook

Record only first attempt in Gradebook

by Sytske van Hasselt -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I'm struggling to understand the different grading options in moodle, when dealing with a scorm package.

We use Moodle 2.0.3 (Build: 20110505). We have a Moodle course, that consists of several topics. Each topic has one SCORM activity. these Activities are created using Articulate Quizmaker '09.

What I want is to allow the student to take the activity multiple times. But I want only the score of the first attempt to be recorded in the grade book. Is there a way to achieve that?

Apparently setting the "Number of attempts" to unlimited and "Attempts grading" to "First attempt" is not enough to achieve this.

I have done some tests with a Test Activity (also from Articulate). I have tried several combinations of settings in Moodle, but I find that always the last attempt gets recorded.

At first I used theses settings:

grading method:             highest grade  
number of attempts:         unlimited
Attempts grading:             First attempt
Display attempt status:         No
Force completed:             No
Force new attempt:             No
Lock after final attempt:    No
Display package:             Current Window
Student skip content
structure page:             Always
Disable preview mode:         Yes
Display course structure on
entry page:                 No
Display course structure
in player:                 Hidden
Hide navigation buttons:     Yes
Auto-continue:             No
Auto-update frequency:         Never

But I get the impression that the last score always gets recorded in the grade book.I check this by having the student check the grades for the course. (www.mymoodlesite.nl/grade/report/user/index.php?id=8)

than I changed some settings: 

Force completed:             Yes
Force new attempt:          Yes

And tried again with a 'fresh student' (that didn't have any attempts to their name) But again: the latest score always get recorded.

Same results, when changing the setting Force new attempt back to No.(and another fresh student)

Lastely I tried what would happen if i set number of attempts to 1 attempt. Even then: the score of the last attempt gets recorded in the gradebook.

I had every student take at least three attempts. what I also find, is that when i look at the results of this Scorm Activity (www.mymoodlesite.nl/mod/scorm/report.php?id=69) the number in the Attempt column is 1, for all students. Even though at least four of them took at least three attempts.

I'm not sure wether this is due to the scorm package, or wether it is Moodle. Or maybe I should try even different settings?

I've put relevant files in one zip file:

• the Scormpackage, as created by Articulate (it is called: Test 4 vragen elk 1 punt-01.zip)
  • three docx-copies of the results Debugger. This is from the last student, who took the activity 3 times.
  • A Textfile that lists the settings of the activity, when the last student took the activity. 

It can be downloaded here: www.syps.nl/moodle/GradingScorm-110710.zip

I hope someone can help me understand the settings better.

thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sytske van Hasselt

Re: Record only first attempt in Gradebook

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You've done really well providing all the information here - it makes it a lot easier to help!

It's up to your package to define when an "attempt" is finished so my guess is that each time the user enters the SCORM they are using a single "attempt" - in 2.0 we give the extra option to force a new attempt to make this easier to control.

The best way to see how a SCORM is being graded with multiple attempts is by using the "display attempt status" setting and by setting "Student skip content
structure page" to "never" - this will display the details about how a SCORM is being graded to the student on the initial entry page in SCORM

Good luck!

In reply to Dan Marsden

Re: Record only first attempt in Gradebook

by Sytske van Hasselt -

Dear Dan,

Thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately today I don't have any time to look into this (sunday afternoon comitments wink  ). Will have to try again tomorrow.